Georgios Papagiannis, Greek Center To St. John's?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:02 am

Not a done deal but hearing this could happen very soon. Any of you SJU fans hearing anything?

Lavin man, once you think the guy needs to be shown the door, he gets a few good kids to commit to give him some breathing room. If he doesn't make the tournament this year I mean, regardless of who he is bringing in, how much more patience do you have with this guy? Recruiting is one thing, coaching is another. I could have brought some of the teams he had at UCLA to the Sweet 16......
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Georgios Papagiannis, Greek Center To St. John's?

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:11 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Not a done deal but hearing this could happen very soon. Any of you SJU fans hearing anything?

Lavin man, once you think the guy needs to be shown the door, he gets a few good kids to commit to give him some breathing room. If he doesn't make the tournament this year I mean, regardless of who he is bringing in, how much more patience do you have with this guy? Recruiting is one thing, coaching is another. I could have brought some of the teams he had at UCLA to the Sweet 16......

He was playing high school ball in the DC area but I thought he signed a contract in Greece to play there. How is he eligible to play college still?
hoyahooligan

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:Not a done deal but hearing this could happen very soon. Any of you SJU fans hearing anything?

He was playing high school ball in the DC area but I thought he signed a contract in Greece to play there. How is he eligible to play college still?

From a couple articles about him in the last couple of days or so, apparently he's been playing with their U18(20?) club and not getting paid. Signed an agreement not a contract with the pro club or something along those lines, so he has an out to come back to play college ball for a year. Could be complete BS thou.
Westbrook#36

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 am

Based on Lavin's recent track record, I expect him to sign then be declared ineligible right before next season starts.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby RDinNY » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Based on Lavin's recent track record, I expect him to sign then be declared ineligible right before next season starts.

...or not!
RDinNY

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:21 pm

I hope not but this playing in Greece thing immediately gives the NCAA something to investigate. If they find any indication that he received any form of compensation from this club, he's ineligible. I'm not saying he did or didn't, I'm just saying Lavin needs to really do his homework and make sure there's nothing that can pop up later and screw him over.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby RedStormHoops » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I hope not but this playing in Greece thing immediately gives the NCAA something to investigate. If they find any indication that he received any form of compensation from this club, he's ineligible. I'm not saying he did or didn't, I'm just saying Lavin needs to really do his homework and make sure there's nothing that can pop up later and screw him over.

We are gonna miss the tournament, Lavin is gonna point to his "monster" 2015 class as means for extension, get the extension, then half of the class will be declared ineligible and we are stuck with this buffoon. That's my prediction
RedStormHoops

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:22 pm

It'll just be more talent for the next guy. :)

You couldn't have done anything. He also dealt with lots of injuries to key players during those tournament runs.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:23 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:

He signed a contract as a minor, which makes him eligible to play collegiately.
Red Rooster

Postby hoops22 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:48 pm

I would have to think after all the eligibility issues St. John's has had, Lavin will do his homework with this guy, and make sure he'll actually be able to suit up. As far as his coaching goes, I'm as critical as anyone, but he did make the right decision last night by putting Pointer on Carlino when Marquette was up 8. Normally he likes Pointer playing someone closer to the basket, but he recognized the need to shut down Carlino and put his best defender on him. Might seem like an obvious decision, but nonetheless Lavin made it, so I'll give him credit, as it probably won the game for them.
hoops22

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board