Bracketology - January 19, 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology - January 19, 2015

Postby murphy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 pm

One comment that you hear a lot is that if a team is doing well under unsual circumstances (i.e. only 7 scholarship players, tallest players 6"6") is that the credit should go to the coach (Archie) My feeling is that the 5 players on the floor are very good talent and are putting in maximum effort. At lease in the case of UD in my opinion their record speaks more to to the quality of the player and not so much the coach. The coach cannot go out there an rebound or hit a 3 pt shot.
murphy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBall » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 pm

St Johns sweeps this week and they are back on track. They get swept this week and you have to start thinking NIT for them. Sunday really is their season on the line.

X-Men still have a ton of work to do. That road game against cincy looms large, and that game could be the bubble burster or the one that helps them dance should they reach 10-8 in conference. They have 6 road and 6 home games left, and their home games still include villanova, so there is no guarantee that Xavier hits the 10 win mark. Does 9-9 get them in? I think Xavier will have a very nervous early March and need to win games in nyc to dance.

On the positive side, georgetown, butler, providence and seton hall are looking better and better for decent seeds. We don't want to send 7 teams dancing but they are all in the 7-10 range and none of them make it out of the first weekend. With this group starting to look good for decent seeding, that may actually be better for the conference. Maybe it becomes a 5 bid league, but those 5 seeds are a 2, 3, 5, 5 and 6 seed? Is that better or worse than a 7 bid league with a 2, 6, 8, 9, 9, 11, and play in game seeds? I think I would prefer the better seeds.
TheBall

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 pm

If Archie has continued success he'll be going big like brother Sean. So it's more like Thad's weakness at Ohio State, Coach B at Michigan or Crean at Indiana. Archie won't be coaching in the Big East unless it's for Dayton.
BEwannabe

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:04 pm

TheBall wrote:St Johns sweeps this week and they are back on track. They get swept this week and you have to start thinking NIT for them. Sunday really is their season on the line.

X-Men still have a ton of work to do. That road game against cincy looms large, and that game could be the bubble burster or the one that helps them dance should they reach 10-8 in conference. They have 6 road and 6 home games left, and their home games still include villanova, so there is no guarantee that Xavier hits the 10 win mark. Does 9-9 get them in? I think Xavier will have a very nervous early March and need to win games in nyc to dance.

On the positive side, georgetown, butler, providence and seton hall are looking better and better for decent seeds. We don't want to send 7 teams dancing but they are all in the 7-10 range and none of them make it out of the first weekend. With this group starting to look good for decent seeding, that may actually be better for the conference. Maybe it becomes a 5 bid league, but those 5 seeds are a 2, 3, 5, 5 and 6 seed? Is that better or worse than a 7 bid league with a 2, 6, 8, 9, 9, 11, and play in game seeds? I think I would prefer the better seeds.

I wouldn't put Providence in the same boat as Georgetown and Butler. They REALLY need the Xavier game on Thursday night, what with a road trip coming of St John's, Georgetown, and Xavier followed by a home game with Nova. A loss to Xavier, and they could easily be 15-10 heading into the final 6 games of the season- with a Nova game left. Same with Seton Hall- they're a bit safer getting in- but with a 32 RPI, looking square at a 7 or 8 seed.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 pm

BEwannabe wrote:If Archie has continued success he'll be going big like brother Sean. So it's more like Thad's weakness at Ohio State, Coach B at Michigan or Crean at Indiana. Archie won't be coaching in the Big East unless it's for Dayton.

well then...I guess he won't be coaching in the Big East...
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:If Archie has continued success he'll be going big like brother Sean. So it's more like Thad's weakness at Ohio State, Coach B at Michigan or Crean at Indiana. Archie won't be coaching in the Big East unless it's for Dayton.

well then...I guess he won't be coaching in the Big East...

certainly a possibility but he's not leaving Dayton for St.John's.
BEwannabe

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Although the A-10 sucks this year, Archie should be in the running for any Coach of the Year awards for what he is doing. If St. John's continues to sputter, they should consider taking a look at Archie.

Dayton hasn't won a single game against a tournament team. How many Big East teams would be 15-2 against their schedule?

And right on cue the Fylers get hammered by Davidson.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Although the A-10 sucks this year, Archie should be in the running for any Coach of the Year awards for what he is doing. If St. John's continues to sputter, they should consider taking a look at Archie.

Dayton hasn't won a single game against a tournament team. How many Big East teams would be 15-2 against their schedule?

And right on cue the Fylers get hammered by Davidson.

what a story Davidson is becoming this year. 13-4 now with only 3 road losses and a neutral site loss to UNC. They are going to rack up 23 or 24 wins and be easily in the tourney.
stever20

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Bye Flyers, Hello Hoyas.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 pm

Never say never, crazier things have happened (Buzz to VT for one.) I am only saying that St. Johns should give him an offer if Lavin goes sour.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board