For Creighton Fans

The home for Big East hoops

Re: For Creighton Fans

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm

marquette wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
marquette wrote:
Gonzaga has great fan support, but in fairness we are talking about a 6,000 seat arena that they are constantly selling out and there is a waiting list for. Could they sell out an arena the size of the CLink every night? Maybe, but I have to believe that the 14,000 seat Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena could return a higher profit margin even with some rent fees.

In all fairness we're talking about games against mid major competition they're selling out.

Their arena is about the same size as the on-campus facilities of both Villanova and St. John's, both of which are used fora. Number of regular seasons games each year including Big East games. Bring Big East competition into Spokane each year and I expect that we would see a number of games moved to Veterans Memorial arena each year.

Whether the arena in question is 6000 or 14000, my point was that Gonzaga has a loyal fan base that supports the team. I don't know why anyone would question that.

I am not questioning whether Gonzaga has great fans. They clearly do. I am saying that Creighton, at this point, appears to have a special fan base. Will it hold up if the team has 5 consecutive losing seasons? Who knows. I don't expect us to have to find out because kids like playing in front of packed houses on tv against big time opponents. And while Gonzaga does have great fan support, 6,000 fans is hardly an outrageous expectation even in a mid-major league. Some examples: Bradley (MVC) 6,608 in 2013-14. UTEP (C-USA) 8,088. Weber State (Big Sky) 6,814. Fresno State (MWC) 6,776. Wichita State (MVC) 10,732. UNLV (MWC) 13,125.

Again, Gonzaga is great. Creighton, IMHO, is special.

I"be got no bone to pick with you. My question was directed at R Jay, who knocked Gonzaga fans for no apparent reason. I made no comparison between Gonzaga fans and anyone else.

Creighton has great fans. I have no argument with that and never questioned their fan base.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Ah. Maybe I should read the whole thread before putting my foot in my mouth (does that metaphor work on a message board?).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby R Jay » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Why did you feel the need to respond to an emotional post that was made four weeks ago, Bill?
Also, can anyone be critical of Gonzaga on this board? Every time someone says something of that sort you feel the need to argue.
I honestly don't think it was that big of a shot, actually. We don't even know how their fans will respond to one down year. It's a realistic question.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby R Jay » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:I"be got no none to pick with you. My question was directed at R Jay, who knocked Gonzaga fans for no apparent reason. I made no comparison between Gonzaga fans and anyone else.

Creighton has great fans. I have no argument with that and never questioned their fan base.

1) Go back and read the first post you quoted. I didn't write it.
2) Again, It's a realistic concern. I'm not knocking Gonzaga (I wasn't in the first place).
3) You're dodging my question.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:26 am

Omaha1 wrote:Coach Mac advanced to the next round of the ESPN Infiniti Coaches Charrity Challenge. He is participating in support of the Abide Network which was started by a former Creighton player - Josh Dotzler - which helps serve poor in the area.

You can cast your vote here:
http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/ ... ?next=home

The voting is open for only 30 more minutes this morning. Please take a moment to vote for Coach McDermott.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Video post-game in the locker room after the season ending loss to Georgetown. It's a long video, but so indicative of what Coach McDermott and Creighton are about.

Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby R Jay » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Another example of why we are lucky to have Mac. Great coach but an even greater guy.
R Jay

Postby Hoyas » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm

almost as good as the speech he game last year after they got beat in the tourney.
Hoyas

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board