UConn escape plan - The Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn escape plan - The Big East

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 pm

Uconn is playing a ranked team in cbs right now, and I have never seen gampel so empty.

Conference of Americans attendance is just really poor.

Here is an article from the Connecticut post from last month about how bad the conference of Americans is for the huskies attendance wise for road games. Fans want to be able to travel to games like they could in the old big east. The fans are being deprived. But if uconn parks fb in the Mac and heads to the big east, they will have five driveable road trips per year.

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/In- ... 054155.php
TheBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:26 pm

New York Times article about how bad conference of Americans is for uconn women's hoops

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/sport ... .html?_r=0
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:47 pm

TheBall wrote:Uconn is playing a ranked team in cbs right now, and I have never seen gampel so empty.

Here is an article from the Connecticut post from last month about how bad the conference of Americans is for the huskies attendance wise for road games. Fans want to be able to travel to games like they could in the old big east. The fans are being deprived. But if uconn parks fb in the Mac and heads to the big east, they will have five driveable road trips per year.

It was snowing today in Connecticut. Just sayin' . . .

Official attendance was listed at 12,568. If there's one conference game I'd think fans would turn out for, it's SMU this year.
Bill Marsh

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm

What happened to UConn is poetic justice. When you get brainwashed into football money but you are a basketball legend, then you arguably put your basketball on life support trying to get in a football conference. It was a stupid decision and they are paying dearly.
Steve Lavin

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:52 pm

UConn isn't blowing up football and women's basketball to go to the Big East. Period.

And yes I said women's basketball. Not having ESPN broker games for UConn would destroy that program.
stever20

Postby Noonzy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 am

TheBall wrote:Uconn is playing a ranked team in cbs right now, and I have never seen gampel so empty.

The game was played in the XL center in Hartford and they did have some snow problems. Doesn't the MAC conference only want teams that will be involved in all sports, not just FB?
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

It was snowing today in Connecticut. Just sayin' . . .

Official attendance was listed at 12,568. If there's one conference game I'd think fans would turn out for, it's SMU this year.

attendance was 15,564. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... ame28.html

8 conference games this year averaging 12316.
9 conference games last year averaged 10806
9 conference games 2 years ago averaged 11729

so attendance has bounced back this year.
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:41 am

Noonzy wrote:

The game was played in the XL center in Hartford and they did have some snow problems. Doesn't the MAC conference only want teams that will be involved in all sports, not just FB?

Correct. The MAC is no longer accepting football only members. I'm not sure of the bylaws of any other conference.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 am

UCoon will be collecting money from exit fees and NCAA tournament credits for 3-5 more years after this one. Not only will they lose that money if they leave the AAC, but they will have to pay a $15 million exit fee. If/when the time comes for them to leave they will be required to give 27 months notice. If they get the 27 months notification waived, it will cost them a lot to buy out of it. I think that West Virginia paid $20 million. To the Big East and Maryland paid the ACC $30 million. Both also paid lots of money in attorney's fees.

Leaving the AAC just doesn't make financial success right now unless they get into a P5 conference .
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am

Bill Marsh wrote:UCoon will be collecting money from exit fees and NCAA tournament credits for 3-5 more years after this one. Not only will they lose that money if they leave the AAC, but they will have to pay a $15 million exit fee. If/when the time comes for them to leave they will be required to give 27 months notice. If they get the 27 months notification waived, it will cost them a lot to buy out of it. I think that West Virginia paid $20 million. To the Big East and Maryland paid the ACC $30 million. Both also paid lots of money in attorney's fees.

Leaving the AAC just doesn't make financial success right now unless they get into a P5 conference .

not only that, but after this year, they still have 25 units from their championship run last year after the split. Considering each unit right now is 250k, that's 6.25 million dollars just in that(they don't get all of it, but still). Also have 10 units left after this year from their 2011 title run. And 3 units from their 2012 appearance left. So add that up and UConn has 38 units that they earned that are yet to be paid off after this year- or about 9.5 million bucks.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board