Big East potential NBA Players

The home for Big East hoops

Postby TheBall » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:22 am

Who from this conference is NBA bound? I think it is still a bit premature to speculate on josh hart, Trevino bluiett, or the georgetown or seton hall freshmen. Rysheed Jordan might think he is nba bound, and he has size and talent, but he's a long away. Same with Billy Garrett. So I am going to stay away from them.

I would go with:

1. Kris Dunn. This kid is fantastic and has nba size and athleticism.
2A. Obekpa. A little on the light side, but an elite shot blocker. It seems that elite shot blockers make their way into the league.
2B. Ochefu. Big enough, strong enough, and has enough athleticism to make the league. Also shoots free throws at 70% so he can hit a 15 footer.

I think these are the only 3 I feel safe about saying will make the league.

The only other guy I could see maybe making it next year is Desrosiers from Providence. He has the size, is pretty strong and seems to know positioning well, and while I wouldn't call him athletic he is not uncoordinated or awkward. He also has a nice shot that could help spread the defense in the nba which is a nice asset. At the start of the year I would have said this was nuts, but the more I watch him I think he might catch on with a team.

I don't think Hilliard or Henton are likely to catch on with a team. I wouldn't rule it out, but I just don't have that feeling.

Stainbrook and Pinkston don't really have a "nba body" or a position they would play in the nba. Both are a bit undersized for the roles they play at the college level and get by on their skill, but that doesn't work at the next level.

I don't think josh smith is a nba bound player.

Haven't seen enough of Luke Fischer to have an opinion.
Last edited by TheBall on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East potential NBA Players

Postby gofriars08 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:39 am

On current rosters, I'd say:

1. Kris Dunn - prototypical NBA size for a PG, leads nation in assist %, great defender
2. Ochefu - legit size, great touch, two way player. Needs to extend his range though
3. Paschal Chukwu - still very early for him but fantastic shotblocker, really good touch around the rim. Huge size but currently too thin
4. Isaiah Whitehead - still an elite talent, just sidelined right now
5. Sterling Gibbs - undersized, but anyone who can shoot the 3 like him will get looks
6. Angel Delgado - rebounding machine, great size, soft touch
7. Chris Obekpa - great shotblocker but leaves the weakside vulnerable too much, fouls too much, and has feet for hands on offense
8. Josh Hart - good size for a wing, can rebound, hits the 3 at a high clip, gets hands on lots of balls

Realistically, I only think the first four have any real chance of a 1st round pick. Perhaps Delgado if he develops a bit more of a jumper.
gofriars08

Postby TheBall » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm doubtful in guys like Gibbs and Rivera and Harrison. Those smaller scoring point guards are great to have in college, but you don't see a lot of them at the next level.
TheBall

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm

It's so, so hard for small guards to make the league today. Bryce Cotton just dropped 40 in a D League Game yesterday (article below) and he will likely not get called up. I'd say Bryce was the second best college player in the Big East last year. 15 years ago I think Bryce would have been a late first round pick. The league has just changed.

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/basketball/nba-d-league-bryce-cotton-scores-40-points-as-aust/njqxg/
ChelseaFriar

Postby RedStormHoops » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:25 pm

The bias is real...
RedStormHoops

Postby NewBigEastConf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 pm

FWIW draftexpress.com has Obepka going on the 2nd round of next year's draft and Whitehead going in the 2nd round of the following year's draft.
NewBigEastConf

Postby Freshjive2103 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Myke Henry might have a chance.
Freshjive2103

Postby TheBall » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:05 pm

FWIW, draft express had randy foye as undrafted through most of 2006, and the dude didn't know who kyle Lowry was. Randy ended up in the lottery and kyle went in the first round. Those mock draft sites are terrible beyond words.
TheBall

Postby Freshjive2103 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Agree - Rick Rickert was listed as the top pick by NBADraft.net at one point.

As much as I can recall, Wilson Chandler never made any mock draft before declaring and it was only after Isiah Thomas made it known he liked Wilson that he started to get listed after declaring.
Freshjive2103

Return to Big East basketball message board