Wooden Watch

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wooden Watch

Postby robinreed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Some posters apparently feel the Big East is slighted by the Wooden Award Committee. This should not be a surprise as since 1976 when the award was first offered only two BE schools won the award. In 1985 and 1986 St. John's won and last year Creighton won (players Mullen, Berry and McDermott.). Even in those years that the old BE had cuse, Louisville, Pitt, VPI, and BC they did not win the wooden award. Cincinnati did win in 1990 with Martin however they were members of another conference when it happened. Besides as an X supporter I don't count Cincy wins.

We have never done well in this award and probably never will. Despite we very likely have several of the best players in the nation. Yes I include Harrison in the top players in the nation. He is probably in the top 25.

Let's not get angry because we are slighted. It has happened before and will happen again. The important thing is not the awards for players we win but how often we get to the final four and do we win a national championship. If we win a NC things will begin to change in our favor as regards public perception. It is apparent that this year nova has a real chance to be in the final four.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:03 pm

As a Villanova fan, Pinkston hasn't done enough to be on this list, but that isn't his fault, it is just the style of ball Villanova plays. If you watch Villanova this is TRULY a "TEAM". Watch them pass the ball, everybody is involved. When you play this way it is tough to score 15-20 points a night or put up other big numbers when everybody is getting involved.

Jay Wright has a system, he recruits certain players, guys like Briscoe don't fit his profile. This current team has bought into his system and the results are evident.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Amase2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:01 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:As a Villanova fan, Pinkston hasn't done enough to be on this list, but that isn't his fault, it is just the style of ball Villanova plays. If you watch Villanova this is TRULY a "TEAM". Watch them pass the ball, everybody is involved. When you play this way it is tough to score 15-20 points a night or put up other big numbers when everybody is getting involved.

Jay Wright has a system, he recruits certain players, guys like Briscoe don't fit his profile. This current team has bought into his system and the results are evident.

I agree about your guys team and system. Six very good players have bought into the team first system and it is great to watch. Add in 1 or 2 other guys (Jenkins and Booth) and you have a top 5 team.

Disagree about your thoughts on Briscoe though. Think he would be great at nova. He has a little corey Fisher in him IMO
Amase2

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Briscoe is obviously talented enough to play at Villanova. What I meant is Jay doesn't deal with the BS other coaches will to land a certain player. When a recruits father starts making demands and a kid is asking too many questions about how Jay is going to get him into the league or is asking to be guaranteed a starting position and so on. Jay moves on to the next guy.

He is looking for players who are going to buy in and play Villanova basketball, not a guy who is looking to punch his ticket to the league. A lot of people look at some of our rosters in like 2010, we might have had 3 or 4 Burger Boys, and ask why we didn't make the Sweet 16. When there is no chemistry and a player is playing for himself, rankings don't mean a thing........
ChestRockwell85

Postby RDinNY » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:39 pm

In defense of Briscoe, I never heard that he or his father were making any demands. The only thing that they focused on was getting playing time and making it to the NBA. I assume he sees himself as a one and done and he went to a school that promotes that mindset. The irony is that they already have the player that is going to start ahead of him his freshman year and they are going to land the guy who will start ahead of him his sophomore year. He actually seems like a level headed and coachable kid who comes from a good family.
RDinNY

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:01 pm

With all due respect RDinNY, I broke the Jalen Brunson to Villanova on this board about 4 days before ESPN even reported it. With that being said I have my sources. I am not saying he is a bad kid or comes from a bad family, but if you don't think there were demands you are mistaken. Kid wants the league and wants it quick.
ChestRockwell85

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board