Big East Recruiting per ESPN - UPDATE 1/21/15

The home for Big East hoops

Postby robinreed » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

I am sure some on this board prefer Rivals or other sites per recruiting however I find ESPN to be the best balanced of the various sites. If another poster wishes to post something from Rivals or any other recruiting site please do so.

BIG EAST
The Big East currently shows 7 of the top 100 players as either committed or signed. They are as follows:
Marquette - Ellenson, Noskowiak, Cheatham
Villanova - Brunson
St Johns - Sampson
Georgetown - Govan
Providence - Owens

Other non-P5 conferences have not done so well.
A10 - 2 (VCU - 2)
AAC - 6 (Memphis 2, SMU 1, Temple 1, UCONN 2)
MWC - 2 (SDSU, UNLV)
MoValley 2 (Wichita)

There are still a few of the top 100 players who have not chosen a school. Hopefully we can grab one or two of them.
The school which seems to be the most successful this year in recruiting is Syracuse as they have 4 of the top 100.
Last edited by robinreed on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UPDATE: Big East Recruiting per ESPN

Postby Whitefriar » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm not nearly as down on the recruiting this year as some. With less teams in the BE than the F5 (other than the B12), getting roughly 10 a year on average will keep the conference very competitive going forward. I'd even be happy with an average of 7 or 8 if 4 - 5 are in the top 25 - 30 as the talent discrepancy lessens generally after that first tier anyhow. In other words the difference between #85 and #125 is likely more subjective than the difference between a guy ranked around 10 vs another around 50, so give me fewer but more highly ranked guys within the top 100.
Whitefriar

Postby Rum_Ham » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Couple more top 100 guys on other sites include Justin Patton for Creighton who is #42 on Scout and #49 on Rivals
Matt Heldt for Marquette who is #59 on Scout
Marcus Derrickson for Georgetown who is #96 on Scout and #90 on Rivals
So we arguably have ten top 100 caliber players for 2015 with the possibility of a couple more in the spring. Seems to me that a basketball focused conference has been an easy sell for recruits.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby DeltaV » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Rum_Ham wrote:Couple more top 100 guys on other sites include Justin Patton for Creighton who is #42 on Scout and #49 on Rivals
Matt Heldt for Marquette who is #59 on Scout
Marcus Derrickson for Georgetown who is #96 on Scout and #90 on Rivals
So we arguably have ten top 100 caliber players for 2015 with the possibility of a couple more in the spring. Seems to me that a basketball focused conference has been an easy sell for recruits.

Athletes have egos...make sure they know that they won't be sharing the limelight with any hand-egg players.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby TheBall » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 pm

The thing with this class is we are grabbing some more higher end guys. Marquette with a top 5 overall recruit, nova has the top pg in the nation coming in (Briscoe is a sg/combo), and johnnies new guy is very good.

We want a bunch of top 100 kids, but it is nice to have some guys in the top 25 and top 50 as well.

Temple has a top 100 recruit? Prove it. Fran Dunphy is not a good recruiter, and I'm not aware of any of the kids he grabbed being top 100. I'm pretty familiar with his class too, and I thought they were a bunch of 3 star after thoughts?
TheBall

Postby robinreed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:10 am

TheBall wrote:The thing with this class is we are grabbing some more higher end guys. Marquette with a top 5 overall recruit, nova has the top pg in the nation coming in (Briscoe is a sg/combo), and johnnies new guy is very good.

We want a bunch of top 100 kids, but it is nice to have some guys in the top 25 and top 50 as well.

Temple has a top 100 recruit? Prove it. Fran Dunphy is not a good recruiter, and I'm not aware of any of the kids he grabbed being top 100. I'm pretty familiar with his class too, and I thought they were a bunch of 3 star after thoughts?

Oh Ball, you of little faith.
Frankly I don't much like Dunphy either but his recruiting is not so bad as you pretend. Rivals, Scout and ESPN all list Levan Alston of Haverford near Philly as a top 100 player and give him 4 stars. The surprising thing is that Temple has 3 recruits who are listed as 4 star by Rivals and Scout. They are Alston from Haverford a 6,4 guard, Ernie Aflakpui a 6.10 conter from Radnor and Trey Lowe a 6,1 point guard from Ewing. All are from the Philly metro area. If you are a Philly resident (as I believe you stated in another post you were) you will know that Haverford and Radnor have had some good teams and good players in the last 25 years. I know nothing about Ewing. I only lived in the Philly area for 2 years (in West Chester) and so I don't claim to know a great deal about Philly area high school teams but I do remember Radnor and Haverford. In any case Rivals and Scout seem to like the players good enough to give them all 4 stars. By the way ESPN rates the Temple recruits as the 28th best in DIV 1. Check their web site

Of course that does not make winning a certitude with Fran as coach.
robinreed

Postby robinreed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:55 pm

More information on Big East recruits rated by stars on 247.

BUTLER 2 WITH 3 STARS

CREIGHTON 2 WITH 3 STARS

DEPAUL 2 WITH 3 STARS

GEORGETOWN 2 WITH 4 STARS

MARQUETTE 1 WITH 3 STARS, 2 WITH 4 STARS, 1 WITH 5 STARS

PROVIDENCE 2 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS

SETON HALL 1 WITH 3 STARS

ST. JOHNS 1 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS

VILLANOVA 1 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS, 1 WITH 5 STARS

XAVIER 1 WITH 4 STARS

The conference totals are 12 with 3 stars, 5 with 4 stars, 2 with 5 stars. Marquette and Villanova are the clear winners thus far.

247 recruiting web address:
http://butler.247sports.com/Season/2015 ... ll/Commits
robinreed

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:39 pm

robinreed wrote:More information on Big East recruits rated by stars on 247.

BUTLER 2 WITH 3 STARS

CREIGHTON 2 WITH 3 STARS

DEPAUL 2 WITH 3 STARS

GEORGETOWN 2 WITH 4 STARS

MARQUETTE 1 WITH 3 STARS, 2 WITH 4 STARS, 1 WITH 5 STARS

PROVIDENCE 2 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS

SETON HALL 1 WITH 3 STARS

ST. JOHNS 1 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS

VILLANOVA 1 WITH 3 STARS, 1 WITH 4 STARS, 1 WITH 5 STARS

XAVIER 1 WITH 4 STARS

The conference totals are 12 with 3 stars, 5 with 4 stars, 2 with 5 stars. Marquette and Villanova are the clear winners thus far.

247 recruiting web address:
http://butler.247sports.com/Season/2015 ... ll/Commits

Who's the marquette 3 star? Matt heldt is listed as 4 stars and top 100 on scout and rivals and 4 stars even on espn (despite not being top 100)
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby jfan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Ifyou go by national composite on 24/7, Creighton has one 4* and one 3*. If you go only by 24/7 rankings, we have two 3*
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby robinreed » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:55 pm

robinreed wrote:I am sure some on this board prefer Rivals or other sites per recruiting however I find ESPN to be the best balanced of the various sites. If another poster wishes to post something from Rivals or any other recruiting site please do so.

BIG EAST
The Big East currently shows 7 of the top 100 players as either committed or signed. They are as follows:
Marquette - Ellenson, Noskowiak, Cheatham
Villanova - Brunson
St Johns - Sampson
Georgetown - Govan
Providence - Owens

Other non-P5 conferences have not done so well.
A10 - 2 (VCU - 2)
AAC - 6 (Memphis 2, SMU 1, Temple 1, UCONN 2)
MWC - 2 (SDSU, UNLV)
MoValley 2 (Wichita)

There are still a few of the top 100 players who have not chosen a school. Hopefully we can grab one or two of them.
The school which seems to be the most successful this year in recruiting is Syracuse as they have 4 of the top 100.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE ON ESPN AS OF 1/21/2015

Big East top 100 recruits drop from 7 to 6. They are as follows:
Marquette - Ellenson, Noskowiak, Cheatham (same as before)
Villanova - Brunson (same as before)
SJ U - Sampson (same as before)
Georgetown - Govan (same as before)

Providence - Owens has dropped out of the top 100. He was listed in the top 90's previously.

Syracuse and TAMU each have 4 of the top 100 recruits and are the two top schools in this regard.
robinreed

Return to Big East basketball message board