THE Ball speaks - January 10, 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: THE Ball speaks - January 10, 2015

Postby Rum_Ham » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Jet915 wrote:Thanks for the support ball. I'm a Creighton fan first but if we are gonna take this year off, I'm glad we could at least help the perception of the Big East by having the current last place team knocking off Oklahoma and Nebraska. There is hope by many Jays fans that next year will be much better.

As a Marquette fan I feel we are in a similar position with Creighton as we expected this year to be a rebuilding year with a new coach and only 8 players. However, both Creighton and Marquette should be back towards the top of the big east next year with Marquette's #5 recruiting class and Creighton adding guys like Mo Watson, Cole Huff, Ronnie Harrell, and Justin Patton to their solid group of underclassmen.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBall » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 pm

NJRedman wrote:
TheBall wrote:If Seton Hall finishes ahead of St John's, why should Harrison win over Gibbs? From what I have seen, Gibbs is just as much the alpha dog taking control in crunch time that everyone expected Harrison to be. I think Ochefu and even Kris Dunn and Henton are ahead of Harrison at this point.

And it should be noted that entering conference play had Harrison as the pick, so I'm not against the idea of Harrison. But the johnnies have slipped, while others have stepped up.

And I'm not sure what makes Harrison "the best player in the big east.". I presumed he would be the scoring leaders on one of the best teams, which was the reason for the early praise, however that doesn't mean "best.". I don't think he has nba potential (the 3 guys I think we can all agree on that will play in the nba are Dunn, ochefu and obekpa). If given a choice of any player from an another team, he is not in my top 5 (we had a thread on this topic and few picked Harrison). Essentially, he is a prolific scorer in an offense that focuses on isolation sets and has experience to be a leader. That will put him in the running for player of the year, but he is not even a top 5 player in the league.

Someone tell Harrison to shut it down, TheBall says he isn't going to win. :roll:

Are you saying Harrison deserves big eat player of the year as of today? I disagree, as would most.
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:49 am

A little early for POY talk - especially since BE POY should be based on what players do in BE, not OOC. But if. We're talking about players who've come up big for their teams so far, gotta be talking about players like Jayvaughan Pinkston and Ladonte Henton in addition to Gibbs. Pinkston especially deserves more than one look because he plays on such an incredibly balanced team with the result being that his numbers won't jump out at you. But if you just saw the Syracuse game, you know what he means to this team.

A couple of guys who could rise in POY consideration if they start hitting their 3's are D'Vauntes Smih-Rivera, who is as big a money player as there is, and Kris Dunn, who leads the BE in both Assists and Steals. If Dunn's scoring becomes more consistent, he'll have the full package because he already does everything else.
Bill Marsh

Postby RedStormHoops » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:24 am

27PPG in Big East play
RedStormHoops

Postby NJRedman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:43 pm

TheBall wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
TheBall wrote:If Seton Hall finishes ahead of St John's, why should Harrison win over Gibbs? From what I have seen, Gibbs is just as much the alpha dog taking control in crunch time that everyone expected Harrison to be. I think Ochefu and even Kris Dunn and Henton are ahead of Harrison at this point.

And it should be noted that entering conference play had Harrison as the pick, so I'm not against the idea of Harrison. But the johnnies have slipped, while others have stepped up.

And I'm not sure what makes Harrison "the best player in the big east.". I presumed he would be the scoring leaders on one of the best teams, which was the reason for the early praise, however that doesn't mean "best.". I don't think he has nba potential (the 3 guys I think we can all agree on that will play in the nba are Dunn, ochefu and obekpa). If given a choice of any player from an another team, he is not in my top 5 (we had a thread on this topic and few picked Harrison). Essentially, he is a prolific scorer in an offense that focuses on isolation sets and has experience to be a leader. That will put him in the running for player of the year, but he is not even a top 5 player in the league.

Someone tell Harrison to shut it down, TheBall says he isn't going to win. :roll:

Are you saying Harrison deserves big eat player of the year as of today? I disagree, as would most.

Did I say that? No, you just did, don't put words in my mouth. Is he in the running and definitely one the top players of the conference? Of course only a fool would say he isn't a serious contender.
NJRedman

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board