Big East Has #1 RPI This Morning...!

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 pm

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/conferencerpi

Tip of the Hat to hoyahooligan, who noticed that the Big East has the #1 RPI in the nation this morning.

RPI STANDINGS:
1. Big East 0.5914.
2. XII 0.5913.
3. ACC 0.5720.
4. B1G 0.5719.
5. SEC 0.5703.
6. Pac-12 0.5642.
7. A-10 0.5459.
8. AAC 0.5285.
9. Valley 0.5186.
10. Mountain West 0.5127.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East Has #1 RPI This Morning...!

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:48 pm

I didn't think the conference standings would be changing at this point. But of course RPI is constantly being recalculated as teams you've already played move up and down, based on new results.

I wonder if this means that ESPN still regards the Big East as not an elite conference. :lol:

RPI Forecast still has the Big XII #1 and the Big East #2, but the gap has closed.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 pm

If SJU can somehow beat Duke, it would solidify this spot IMO.
Jet915

Postby micgoG'town » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 pm

I think I could live with # 2 if forced to.
micgoG'town

Postby micgoG'town » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:51 pm

What if St. Johns's was 0-6 before blowing out Duke....
micgoG'town

Postby Noonzy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:05 am

I was watching a basketball show on ESPN 2night ago I believe, and the talking heads said the Big 12 wsa the best conference and the ACC was right there with them with no mention of the BE. They really know their stuff. :roll:
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby RedStormHoops » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:26 am

I think St. John's is gonna fight to 3-3 or 2-4 in conference and then get destroyed by duke. They have too much depth. Much like nova, I think we can keep it close for awhile and then lose unless duke is having an off day.
RedStormHoops

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am

RedStormHoops wrote:I think St. John's is gonna fight to 3-3 or 2-4 in conference and then get destroyed by duke. They have too much depth. Much like nova, I think we can keep it close for awhile and then lose unless duke is having an off day.

I've always gotten the impression that Duke wilts a little bit when facing physically tough teams. I really think that game comes down to the whistle. If Coach K gets his customary home whistle SJU's is going to get spanked. If they let them play I like the match-up. Obekpa could give their big man some problems and I like the toughness of the SJU guards. Now if the whistles start early I can also see the Johnnies completely imploding as losing by 20+...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:48 am

Noonzy wrote:I was watching a basketball show on ESPN 2night ago I believe, and the talking heads said the Big 12 wsa the best conference and the ACC was right there with them with no mention of the BE. They really know their stuff. :roll:

Here's our biggest problem... I think most of our teams are a year away. Good but not really good or great. In reality the ACC has 4-5 teams that could make a FF (Duke, L'ville, UVA, maybe UNC, maybe ND). But 3 that will be almost locks for a 1 or 2 seed. Same with the Big12 with Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The BE MAY have one 2 seed in Nova.

I think SHU is a year away as well as Gtown and X, as all those young kids get experience. Interestingly I do think PC, SJU and Nova all have the talent level to make a deep run but each have to really get it together in March, and have the right match-ups. For PC they've got a great PG, a go to scorer in Henton and lots of size. You don't need much more than that. And SJU just needs to find someone from their bench who can step in and take some minutes. That Frosh (Stewart?) hitting the 3's at the end of the Nova game; why doesn't he get more run? If Lavin could go to 7 deep instead of 6 it would make a huge difference. Work the kid in for 20 MPG's and rest the others for 3-4 extra minutes and I think that would do wonders. And for Butler, who knows? Maybe they have a magical Butler run still in them...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby RedStormHoops » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Noonzy wrote:I was watching a basketball show on ESPN 2night ago I believe, and the talking heads said the Big 12 wsa the best conference and the ACC was right there with them with no mention of the BE. They really know their stuff. :roll:

Here's our biggest problem... I think most of our teams are a year away. Good but not really good or great. In reality the ACC has 4-5 teams that could make a FF (Duke, L'ville, UVA, maybe UNC, maybe ND). But 3 that will be almost locks for a 1 or 2 seed. Same with the Big12 with Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The BE MAY have one 2 seed in Nova.

I think SHU is a year away as well as Gtown and X, as all those young kids get experience. Interestingly I do think PC, SJU and Nova all have the talent level to make a deep run but each have to really get it together in March, and have the right match-ups. For PC they've got a great PG, a go to scorer in Henton and lots of size. You don't need much more than that. And SJU just needs to find someone from their bench who can step in and take some minutes. That Frosh (Stewart?) hitting the 3's at the end of the Nova game; why doesn't he get more run? If Lavin could go to 7 deep instead of 6 it would make a huge difference. Work the kid in for 20 MPG's and rest the others for 3-4 extra minutes and I think that would do wonders. And for Butler, who knows? Maybe they have a magical Butler run still in them...

Everybody wants Stewart to play. Idk why Lavin won't let him. He played like 12 minutes in the Gonzaga game and played well. Plus he is basically locked in as a starter next year because the cupboards are so bear up in Jamaica so might as well let him play and get used to big east basketball
RedStormHoops

Return to Big East basketball message board