Sincerely,
THE Ball
TheBall

open letter to Mr. oliver Purnell

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: open letter to Mr. oliver Purnell

Postby EMT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 am

Didn't the Nova fan warn us as soon as TheBall found this site?

It's gone downhill since he's gotten here.
EMT

Postby RedStormHoops » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 am

I don't understand what this whole gave up in December thing means. They lost two really close games, two blowouts to decent pac12 schools, and the only really bad loss in which they look defeated was the Ohio game. That's not giving up. DePaul plays hard and they have been so poised in each game they've played in big east play.

TheBall, you are a nova fan right, then why do you care so much? Because it hurts the conference? If that's the case then maybe these teams should've beaten DePaul, or maybe the Confernece is weaker than we thought this year. But blame DePaul for actually doing what they are supposed to do, and that's trying to win a basketball game.

You guys love to rave about how top to bottom strong the conference is, but get upset when the bottom team, errr, excuse me, top team, wins some games they aren't supposed to
RedStormHoops

Postby Freshjive2103 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:13 am

RedStormHoops wrote:I don't understand what this whole gave up in December thing means. They lost two really close games, two blowouts to decent pac12 schools, and the only really bad loss in which they look defeated was the Ohio game. That's not giving up. DePaul plays hard and they have been so poised in each game they've played in big east play.

TheBall, you are a nova fan right, then why do you care so much? Because it hurts the conference? If that's the case then maybe these teams should've beaten DePaul, or maybe the Confernece is weaker than we thought this year. But blame DePaul for actually doing what they are supposed to do, and that's trying to win a basketball game.

You guys love to rave about how top to bottom strong the conference is, but get upset when the bottom team, errr, excuse me, top team, wins some games they aren't supposed to

Thank you! No DePaul fan who is sane will say that DePaul did not crap the bed in December... they did. But are they just expected to roll over and play dead for the sake of the conference?

I have also been pretty steadfast in saying, the Big East conference is not what some make it out to be. I have seen people throw at me the conference RPI and other numbers that support their argument. But predictive analytics are not failproof. If they were, DePaul would be 0-3 right now, instead of 3-0 and in sole possession of first place.
Freshjive2103

Postby TheBall » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 am

If DePaul tried in December, they would not have entered the conference season with a 200+ rpi.

Simple as that.

A team shouldn't be allowed to dog it all out of conference play and then start trying in conference play. That is unacceptable.

And another problem is: if depaul goes 6-12 in conference, that poor excuse for an athletic director might be able to justify keeping him on for next year and depaul just pushes their rebuilding back even further.

And to the depaul fans: we are all rooting for your program and want you to succeed. It is not fair to you either that you have a coach who took an entire month of the season off so he could go golfing or whatever the heck he did in December (besides coaching basketball).
TheBall

Postby Freshjive2103 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:53 am

Do you realize how absurd it is to say a team should not be allowed to start trying? Is Val Ackerman supposed to call Purnell and Ponsetto into the office and say, you have to give up. Yea... nothing illegal about that.

Trust me, I was making it known that I was pissed that the DePaul team was at the beach and relaxing in Hawaii, versus coming together and working on their game after some crappy losses to Illinois State, GW and Oregon State.
Freshjive2103

Postby Letsgonova » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

RedStormHoops wrote:TheBall, you are a nova fan right, then why do you care so much?

I've said this before, but the answer is: he doesn't. He posts solely to rile people up, and the side he's on in a particular debate is motivated only by which side he things will generate the most heat. His Villanova connection is completely irrelevant. If we only we could put him on waivers or something. He'd fit in with Kentucky fans, or maybe UCONN.
Letsgonova

Postby TheBall » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 am

Do you realize that nobody has a problem with depaul trying right no?

The criticism comes from taking a month off. Losing to oregon state by 40 the week before oregon state loses to quinipiac? Going to hawaii and playing golf all week instead of caring about your basketball games? That is the problem.

And letsgonova and I don't get along because I think that nova should stop dumping $7 mill on fcs football andy Gould spend that money in basketball and he thinks that basketball has to wait it's turn behind our football program. It am sure as big east hoops fans most of you would be on my side of the hottest debate at villanova right now (there is a huge swell of people who want football dropped, and some old timers want to keep it).
TheBall

Postby BEhomer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:13 am

I've watched some of their games. they played no defense and chucked 3s like they didn't care. I think the start of BE season and suspension of Hamilton motivated them to play harder.

there is no hate towards depaul. I'm just stating the fact. they came in to regular season with the worst tourney resume of any BE teams. them winning against BE bubble teams hurt those teams' chances of making the tourney.

'11 Uconn team had the best season anybody can have for the league as far as I'm concerned. they had the perfect OOC record and went 9-9 in BE play. of course, they topped it off with a national title. you can say depaul so far is having the opposite of that.
BEhomer

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am

So is Poinsetto gonna give Purnell an extension??? :lol:
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board