Folks I give you . . .

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Folks I give you . . .

Postby pki1998 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:32 pm

murphy wrote:
RDinNY wrote:Malcolm X connection?

in the late 80's early 90's it became very popular for young adults to wear shirts and hats sporting the letter "X" in remembrance of Malcom X and his legacy as a civil rights icon, especially appealing to teenagers. A number of good athletes began to associate Xavier and "X" with this logo and were attracted to attend Xavier to have the opportunity to showcase "X" (Malcolm) . Xavier coaches and administration quickly understood the connection and branded the team with the X name, logo everwhere. This marketing strategy was a success and snowballed as the better athletes that were attracted increased the skill level of the teams and as the Xavier teams advanced in the NCAA the X symbol was out there on national TV and the cycle continues to this day.

Trust me I had season tickets to Xavier when they played in Schmidt Fieldhouse. Well before the popularity of Malcom X. I've also lived in Cincinnati all my life, and am a member of St. Xavier parish. Guess what even before the popularity of wearing the X to symbolize Malcolm. I is till referred to Xavier University as X, St Xavier Church as St. X, and St Xavier High School as St. X. They still did the "Let's Go X" cheer before that as well. If I follow this same logic, I guess Cleveland St Ignatius (One of Ohio's High School Football Powerhouses) going by St. I. is about them capitalizing on the phrase "We're #1"

Funny I never heard this comment before the unfortunate brawl in the Crosstown shootout several years ago. This is some made up story that someone posted on the UDPride message board, that Dayton fans now take as gospel. Pretty much the same, as the rumor that Xavier kept UD out of the Big East. Personally I don't think Xavier kept UD out of the Big East. If the C7 wanted Dayton to join, and Xavier was raising a fit, the C7 would have invited UD first and then told X Dayton is in do you want to stay in the A-10 or do you want to join us. But you can't use logic with the UDPride lot, they don't accept it.
Last edited by pki1998 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier
pki1998

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Professor_Bulldog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm

X has a pretty attractive look even without any "cool" or "urban" origin myth.

That logo is so damn slick and clean.
Butler '13
Professor_Bulldog

Postby micgoG'town » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Lunardi has DePaul knocking out Syracuse.
micgoG'town

Postby Xudash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:32 am

murphy wrote:
Xudash wrote:
Boyee wrote:As a DePaul University alumnus, it makes me very happy to see DePaul in 1st place, especially as they haven't made the NCAA Tournament since 2004 and made a decent NIT run in 2007. They do have to play @ Villanova next.

It all worked out for the best, from my point of view as a Xavier alumnus, when it comes to Xavier being in the Big East and with the 10 teams that comprise this conference. Having noted that, I've not liked DePaul for a number of years due to the stance it took in the early 80's, which was about being against the formation of what could have become a rather formidable league of midwestern Catholic schools, including ND, DePaul and X. Those were the Ray Meyer years when DePaul was on top.

I am glad to be associated with DePaul now, even though its recent basketball resume has been lacking. In my opinion, DePaul is very close to becoming formidable again IF it makes the right moves. From what I've read, the right moves include blowing out your current AD and blowing out Oliver Purnell. Not that OP is a bad guy, but he's just not the guy that DePaul needs to take it to the next level; a level that it used to know all too well. Imagine DePaul with Chicago as its backyard, with its new building, with a solid athletic administration and with an effective coaching staff.

On that note, I'll ask the question again: especially with the new building coming online, will DePaul's President act properly, firing the AD and Oliver Purnell and putting real talent in their place?

Have to take issue with your re-write of the early 80's - Xavier only starting having winning records (other than in the 60's) around 1986 (when they started capitilizing on Malcom X connection and attracted some decent recruits. Also the Midwest Catholic league would have included UD, Xavier, ND, Marquette, Depaulll, maybe Duquense, Detroit.

What part of "could have become" don't you understand.

Seriously, assuming you are a Dayton fan, is it your deal to lurk and then try to defend every perceived put down of Dayton that you believe comes along, AND ON A BIG EAST MESSAGE BOARD!

I didn't re-write anything. Here's a clip Re Jim McCafferty, who was Xavier's AD for years, after having coached there:

After trying for over two decades to get Xavier into a Division I Conference, McCafferty's work paid off in 1979 when Xavier became a founding member of the new Midwestern City Conference (MCC), which became the Horizon League in 1985. McCafferty served as the first Commissioner of the MCC during the 1979-80 school year.[4]

He could never get DePaul to come around and moved on to help form the MCC as it originally formed.

Malcom X connection? Have you lost your mind!
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby murphy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

pki1998 wrote:
murphy wrote:
RDinNY wrote:Malcolm X connection?

in the late 80's early 90's it became very popular for young adults to wear shirts and hats sporting the letter "X" in remembrance of Malcom X and his legacy as a civil rights icon, especially appealing to teenagers. A number of good athletes began to associate Xavier and "X" with this logo and were attracted to attend Xavier to have the opportunity to showcase "X" (Malcolm) . Xavier coaches and administration quickly understood the connection and branded the team with the X name, logo everwhere. This marketing strategy was a success and snowballed as the better athletes that were attracted increased the skill level of the teams and as the Xavier teams advanced in the NCAA the X symbol was out there on national TV and the cycle continues to this day.

Trust me I had season tickets to Xavier when they played in Schmidt Fieldhouse. Well before the popularity of Malcom X. I've also lived in Cincinnati all my life, and am a member of St. Xavier parish. Guess what even before the popularity of wearing the X to symbolize Malcolm. X is till referred to Xavier University as X, St Xavier Church as St. X, and St Xavier High School as St. X. They still did the "Let's Go X" cheer before that as well. If I follow this same logic, I guess Cleveland St Ignatius (One of Ohio's High School Football Powerhouses) going by St. I. is about them capitalizing on the phrase "We're #1"

Funny I never heard this comment before the unfortunate brawl in the Crosstown shootout several years ago. This is some made up story that someone posted on the UDPride message board, that Dayton fans now take as gospel. Pretty much the same, as the rumor that Xavier kept UD out of the Big East. Personally I don't think Xavier kept UD out of the Big East. If the C7 wanted Dayton to join, and Xavier was raising a fit, the C7 would have invited UD first and then told X Dayton is in do you want to stay in the A-10 or do you want to join us. But you can't use logic with the UDPride lot, they don't accept it.

pki1998, I am not arguing that Xavier might have used "X" as a logo at some point before 1987 or so, what I am saying is that it was only used to promote the university as a tie in to Malcom X after 1987 or so (right after Byron Larkin's time, who gave X its original boost) when Xavier realized that the popularity of the X logo in the general teenage population was a good strategy to attract high school recruits. There is nothing wrong with this... I am not sure why you are upset that Xavier uses this to their advantage...
murphy

Postby Xudash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 pm

murphy wrote:

Trust me I had season tickets to Xavier when they played in Schmidt Fieldhouse. Well before the popularity of Malcom X. I've also lived in Cincinnati all my life, and am a member of St. Xavier parish. Guess what even before the popularity of wearing the X to symbolize Malcolm. X is till referred to Xavier University as X, St Xavier Church as St. X, and St Xavier High School as St. X. They still did the "Let's Go X" cheer before that as well. If I follow this same logic, I guess Cleveland St Ignatius (One of Ohio's High School Football Powerhouses) going by St. I. is about them capitalizing on the phrase "We're #1"

pki1998, I am not arguing that Xavier might have used "X" as a logo at some point before 1987 or so, what I am saying is that it was only used to promote the university as a tie in to Malcom X after 1987 or so (right after Byron Larkin's time, who gave X its original boost) when Xavier realized that the popularity of the X logo in the general teenage population was a good strategy to attract high school recruits. There is nothing wrong with this... I am not sure why you are upset that Xavier uses this to their advantage...

This guy is one of what could be an infinite number of examples of why we don't need the watermelon humping idiots from Dayton in this conference. I've never read a dumber statement than Xavier pursuing a marketing strategy based on a tie-in to Malcolm X.

In the meantime, in addition to reinstating a rapist to their team last year, they had to kick two players off this year's squad for rampant theft and scaring co-eds out of their minds in the middle of the night.

Are you the same dumbass who keeps spreading rumors about Xavier's financial demise? The budget adjustments were, in part, about things like the following: http://xavierinnovation.com/

Get lost. Malcolm X marketing. Good lord.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby R Jay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm really starting to believe that Dayton and Wichita State fans are one in the same.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Xudash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:25 pm

R Jay wrote:I'm really starting to believe that Dayton and Wichita State fans are one in the same.

I can't believe it's taken you this long. I've read enough Creighton messages to understand the Wichita State thing. But imagine a delusional fanbase without meaningful success being as "loud" as the Shockers.
XAVIER
Xudash

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board