I Am Starting To Hate DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Re: I Am Starting To Hate DePaul

Postby Boyee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:22 pm

I don't think that DePaul winning their first 2 conference games against Marquette in a down year or a very average Xavier team at home by only 3 points will hurt any Big East Conference school from getting a NCAA Tournament bid. They are a slightly improved team now that they have Myke Henry, Billy Garrett, Jr., and Tommy Hamilton IV, but they do still need a better head coach and athletic director.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby friars321 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:39 am

People don't seem to understand the Depaul thing.
I have nothing against them, and hope they are good in the future because a good team in Chicago is good for the conference.

BUT THIS YEAR!!!
They SUCKED out of conference. If they were average OOC, then I wouldn't mind them winning games- I would actually root for them.
But they single-handedly have the ability to turn this from a possibly 6-7 bid year; into a 3-4 bid year if they beat certain teams.

If Depaul goes 10-8 or 9-9; people will not look and say- "look how deep the Big East is, even Depaul is good again"
Instead they will say- "Look how overrated the Big East is. Depaul sucks, they lost to Oregon State by 40...and yet they can still win 9 or 10 games in that league"
In addition to this, every win buys Mr. Oliver more time. He has been so bad for so long, they need a change asap.
friars321

Postby RDinNY » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 am

If St. John's loses to Depaul, I will blame St. John's for hurting their NCAA chances---not Depaul. Simple concept.
RDinNY

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 am

friars321 wrote:People don't seem to understand the Depaul thing.
I have nothing against them, and hope they are good in the future because a good team in Chicago is good for the conference.

BUT THIS YEAR!!!
They SUCKED out of conference. If they were average OOC, then I wouldn't mind them winning games- I would actually root for them.
But they single-handedly have the ability to turn this from a possibly 6-7 bid year; into a 3-4 bid year if they beat certain teams.

If Depaul goes 10-8 or 9-9; people will not look and say- "look how deep the Big East is, even Depaul is good again"
Instead they will say- "Look how overrated the Big East is. Depaul sucks, they lost to Oregon State by 40...and yet they can still win 9 or 10 games in that league"
In addition to this, every win buys Mr. Oliver more time. He has been so bad for so long, they need a change asap.

+1.....ESPN is gonna be all over this. "DePaul stinks yet they are killin' it in the Big East"
Jet915

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm with Jet, friars321 and the Ball on this...

Among the most important things for DePaul fans to understand is that Purnell cannot get an extension to his contract. He's been on the job for approximately 1,560 days. Poor gameplanning, lazy fundamentals, poor recruiting, and vanishing crowds in Rosemont. He's had the same poor product for the first 1,552 days, followed by 8 days of success. Please do not let the past 8 days lull DePaul fans into extending this guy's contract.

Had I fallen from off turnip truck on December 29th, or fallen from Mars (on second thought, I might have), and had looked at DePaul's 3-0 record in a complete vacuum, I might think differently. But it's been 5 long, hard, terrible, awful, painful years for DePaul (and 2-3+ under Wainwright). Keep focused, get Wardle, Howland, or Bobby Hurley, and look to future success.

For my part, I am considering starting a novena soon, in the hope that Purnell is gone next year, with JLP to follow.
Providence
billyjack

Postby RDinNY » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:41 pm

My last point on this inane subject: If Depaul ceases to suck and is no longer a bottom dweller, someone else will be. The idea that every team in a conference is going to be good is ludicrous. (See Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech).
RDinNY

Postby FormulaX » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

billyjack wrote:I'm with Jet, friars321 and the Ball on this...

Among the most important things for DePaul fans to understand is that Purnell cannot get an extension to his contract. He's been on the job for approximately 1,560 days. Poor gameplanning, lazy fundamentals, poor recruiting, and vanishing crowds in Rosemont. He's had the same poor product for the first 1,552 days, followed by 8 days of success. Please do not let the past 8 days lull DePaul fans into extending this guy's contract.

Had I fallen from off turnip truck on December 29th, or fallen from Mars (on second thought, I might have), and had looked at DePaul's 3-0 record in a complete vacuum, I might think differently. But it's been 5 long, hard, terrible, awful, painful years for DePaul (and 2-3+ under Wainwright). Keep focused, get Wardle, Howland, or Bobby Hurley, and look to future success.

For my part, I am considering starting a novena soon, in the hope that Purnell is gone next year, with JLP to follow.

+2
He would be great in a Horizon type league. I'm in Chicago and DePaul is an after thought. It has gone on long enough. It only takes two years, in CBB, to see if a coach is working or not.
FormulaX

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board