Rysheed Jordan taking leave of absence

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rysheed Jordan taking leave of absence

Postby SJHooper » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:07 pm

It's always something. Always, always, always in Johnny land. Decommitments, rumors of transferring, academic issues, scandals, attitudes, etc. The rule of being a SJ fan is to always be weary if the team is doing great, because you just know something is on its way to derail the season. No team in the Big East has so much talent but such adversity at the same time so consistently. The one year we are exceeding expectations instead of cowering to them, we get #15 and then we lose to SHU and lose our 5 star PG. Any positivity is always short-lived in Queens. Jordan has to be up there with the biggest busts not only as a player but as a person in SJ's history.

The only way this team can overcome the latest big blow is to remain 100% healthy for the remainder of the season and have guys like Stewart and Branch step up big time. At this point I don't know if we are cursed, if we recruit bad character kids, or if we are just absurdly unlucky. All is right in Johnny land again. I was waiting to wake up from the dream. Today I did.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RedStormHoops » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 am

Look out nova

@NYPost_Brazille: Source confirms @JasonKingBR that Rysheed Jordan is rejoining #sjubb, could play Tuesday.
RedStormHoops

Postby TheBall » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:43 am

I am glad Jordan is returning for the game. Kid has been through a lot, hope he gets his head straight and has a good season.

Johnnies are a real nice looking team. Would have been a shame to see them spiral downward with internal issues. This could be a good year for them.
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 pm

TheBall wrote:
EMT wrote:Sorry but the only comparison to PC is bench minutes. They played great team basketball where everyone knew and played their roles. I don't see that with SJU.

Defensively the johnnies play very well as a team.

Offensively providence was heavily reliant on one guy who often created his own shot (what some would call street ball).

Hey, sometimes smaller rotations keep it simpler and avoid confusion/chemistry issues. Look at the numbers Stever has pointed out.

That kid who played created his own shot, playing "street ball" also led the league in assists. Street ball?

He also led the league in minutes played, not because he wanted to but because he had to. He was the only ball handler the team had. Despite having to put on that kind of Iron Man exhibition as both leading scorer and point guard, take the ball up. By himself, and essentially have to break every press by himself, he was top 5 in the league in Assists/Turnover ration.

As for scoring, he was one of 4 players on that team who scored in double figures. And after a slow start to the season, the 5the starter averaged double figures in conference play. I think that team and that player were sharing the ball. Many of his teammates scored their points because he was drawing defenses to himself and then getting them the ball so they could score.

Street ball? That team won the Big East championship because they played team ball and because Cotton's teammates knew that if a defense frustrated them, he could make big shots time after time.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board