Rysheed Jordan taking leave of absence

The home for Big East hoops

Postby TheBall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 am

Personal issues

Obviously your thoughts go out to the kid and that he copes, but in court analysis

It hurts them depth wise, but their core remains solid. I assume branch will take most of Jordan's minutes. But they only have 6 players averaging more than 7 minutes a game, so this is a big hit. Providence managed last yr real thin, but that is tough night in and night out. Do they have a capable 6th man?
TheBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rysheed Jordan taking leave of absence

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:16 am

the thing that is amazing about it is looking at PC last year...

last year PC's bench played 14.1% of possible minutes. That was 350/351 teams.

this year so far- St John's bench has played 23.4% of possible minutes. That is 337/351 teams... The last team- American this year- is at 18.7%.

Only Xavier 2011(14%), and St Joseph's 2014 (13.7%) saw their bench play less than PC did in the last 8 years. What is even more remarkable about that is those 2 plus PC all actually MADE the tourney- and had a strong first round game in the tourney.
stever20

Postby EMT » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:04 am

stever20 wrote:the thing that is amazing about it is looking at PC last year...

this year so far- St John's bench has played 23.4% of possible minutes. That is 337/351 teams... The last team- American this year- is at 18.7%.

Only Xavier 2011(14%), and St Joseph's 2014 (13.7%) saw their bench play less than PC did in the last 8 years. What is even more remarkable about that is those 2 plus PC all actually MADE the tourney- and had a strong first round game in the tourney.

Sorry but the only comparison to PC is bench minutes. They played great team basketball where everyone knew and played their roles. I don't see that with SJU.

Went to the game on NYE, when SJU played defense and shared the ball, they were double digits better than the Hall. When they got lazy and didn't hustle back on D and took quick shots, they looked terrible. Sina didn't get a shot off in the half court set when SJU played defense. There's a chance Harrison plays for a contract and Obekpa decides to want to become a scorer.

it'll be interesting how this one plays out....
EMT

Postby TheBall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:24 am

stever20 wrote:the thing that is amazing about it is looking at PC last year...

Where did you find those stats?
TheBall

Postby TheBall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 am

EMT wrote:Sorry but the only comparison to PC is bench minutes. They played great team basketball where everyone knew and played their roles. I don't see that with SJU.

Defensively the johnnies play very well as a team.

Offensively providence was heavily reliant on one guy who often created his own shot (what some would call street ball).

Hey, sometimes smaller rotations keep it simpler and avoid confusion/chemistry issues. Look at the numbers Stever has pointed out.
TheBall

Postby EMT » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:46 am

TheBall wrote:
EMT wrote:Sorry but the only comparison to PC is bench minutes. They played great team basketball where everyone knew and played their roles. I don't see that with SJU.

Offensively providence was heavily reliant on one guy who often created his own shot (what some would call street ball).

Hey, sometimes smaller rotations keep it simpler and avoid confusion/chemistry issues. Look at the numbers Stever has pointed out.

You mean the SJU team that had 7 assists vs SHU?

My guess is Harrison turns into Jakaar Sampson.

SJU plays great half court defense. They play very poor transitional defense. That's how the Hall got back in the game.
EMT

Postby TheBall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 am

Assists can be overrated for a team that focuses more on isolation offensive sets. Two of the best villanova teams I can remember, 2005 and 2006, only averaged 12 assists per game. Same number as the johnnies right now. Those offenses were heavily isolation based. Providence only had 8 assists in their win against Creighton last March (without a single assists in the final 9 minutes)

As long as the johnnies play good team defense offense is a secondary concern.
TheBall

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:48 pm

EMT wrote:
TheBall wrote:

You mean the SJU team that had 7 assists vs SHU?

My guess is Harrison turns into Jakaar Sampson.

SJU plays great half court defense. They play very poor transitional defense. That's how the Hall got back in the game.

NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Jordan is crazy if he thinks he has a shot at the NBA after this season. Maybe thats why he's leaving, he thought he would be moving on but plays sloppy and gets benched and is having trouble handling that reality. He needs to do what a frustrated Obekpa did after his disappointing sophmore year. Realize this is the best place for him and work hard in the offseason to turn yourself into the best player you can be. People say we're gonna be bare after this season but I don't think we lose anyone to the NBA who wasn't already graduating. I think Obekpa comes back for his senior year and if Jordan joins him we already have pieces in place to build off of.
NJRedman

Postby SecureDaBall » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:14 pm

I think its time to get the coach search committee together.
SecureDaBall

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board