NYE Marathon Game Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NYE Marathon Game Thread

Postby RedStormHoops » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Didn't get a chance to post about the SJU game yesterday. Here is my take.

I am not disappointed at all that SJU lost. In fact the biggest takeaway I took from yesterday was that seton hall was impressive. I wasn't expecting that tough of a game as an SJU fan after seeing the Georgia game and also whitehead being hurt. But I was blown away by how good and poised seton hall was. St. John's did play pretty bad, but that is mainly because St. John's feeds off of forcing turnovers and seton hall did a great job of limiting run outs and also taking care of the ball.

Even with seton hall controlling most of the play, St. John's still had them right where they wanted them late. And when the run happened I thought the young seton hall team would fold. But I was mistaken. They got clutch rebounds, hit clutch threes, and made their FTs down the stretch which has apparently been a weakness.

I also noticed that the intensity seton hall had was unmatched by St. John's and I think that goes along with St. John's being ranked for the first team with this group of players. The Harrison class has been underdogs for so long and I don't think our guys have played a game against a good opponent being hunted against like that. The only one I can remember was st Mary's this year, and we fell behind just like the SH game and ended up coming back and winning. Seton hall didn't let it happen, and St. John's either has to get accustomed to being the hunted or the ranking will go away quickly and we will be right back where we have been for years.
RedStormHoops

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DemonLS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 am

DePaul beat Marquette without using 4 of their big men. Tommie Hamilton out for team violations. Starting center Rashaun Stimage still not back from his injury. Defensive player Greg Sequele who has been benched after recovery from an injury for not being very good these days. Backup center Peter Ryckbock who torn his ACL before season started.

DePaul does have some talent. Now they need a game coach.
DemonLS

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:31 am

RedStormHoops wrote:Didn't get a chance to post about the SJU game yesterday. Here is my take.

I am not disappointed at all that SJU lost. In fact the biggest takeaway I took from yesterday was that seton hall was impressive. I wasn't expecting that tough of a game as an SJU fan after seeing the Georgia game and also whitehead being hurt. But I was blown away by how good and poised seton hall was. St. John's did play pretty bad, but that is mainly because St. John's feeds off of forcing turnovers and seton hall did a great job of limiting run outs and also taking care of the ball.

Even with seton hall controlling most of the play, St. John's still had them right where they wanted them late. And when the run happened I thought the young seton hall team would fold. But I was mistaken. They got clutch rebounds, hit clutch threes, and made their FTs down the stretch which has apparently been a weakness.

I also noticed that the intensity seton hall had was unmatched by St. John's and I think that goes along with St. John's being ranked for the first team with this group of players. The Harrison class has been underdogs for so long and I don't think our guys have played a game against a good opponent being hunted against like that. The only one I can remember was st Mary's this year, and we fell behind just like the SH game and ended up coming back and winning. Seton hall didn't let it happen, and St. John's either has to get accustomed to being the hunted or the ranking will go away quickly and we will be right back where we have been for years.

Completely agree on your last point. Every Pirates player battled hard for the full 40 minutes- you could tell that this game meant a lot to them and they really wanted the win. A local rivalry shouldn't need any extra motivation, but I think the Pirates really felt like they had some things to prove- that they can beat great teams (after failing their 1st 2 such tests) and that Whitehead isn't the entire team. On the other hand, the only Johnny who matched the Pirates' intensity was D'Angelo Harrison- and he had a hell of a game.

The Johnnies will be fine, they hadn't lost in a while and even the best teams need to get knocked down every once in a while. They'll build on it and get better as a result. Good luck to you guys, I can't wait for round 2 at Carnesecca (although if there was ever a year this game belonged in the Garden, this is looking like the one- hopefully one of many).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:31 am

saw that ESPN got an average of 7.116 million viewers and a 4.3 rating on NYE- increases of 53 and 54% respectively from last year.

Also the football semifinal games got 15.4 and 15.2 ratings yesterday.

Yeah, football is king.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:27 pm

stever20 wrote:saw that ESPN got an average of 7.116 million viewers and a 4.3 rating on NYE- increases of 53 and 54% respectively from last year.

Yeah, football is king.

On NYE, the Peach, Fiesta and Orange were lows for those games in years. They need to be marketed better by ESPN.

On NYD, Cotton Bowl 5.3 and Winter Classic lowest rated ever at 2.2 on NBC.
Last edited by MUPanther on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:23 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:saw that ESPN got an average of 7.116 million viewers and a 4.3 rating on NYE- increases of 53 and 54% respectively from last year.

Yeah, football is king.
The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl ranked as the 4th and 5th highest cable show ever!

On NYE, the Peach, Fiesta and Orange were lows for those games in years. They need to be marketed better by ESPN.

On NYD, Cotton Bowl 5.3 and Winter Classic lowest rated ever at 2.2 on NBC.

The individual games maybe were down from previous years, but the games on NYE were 50% better than last year...

Also next 2 years the NYE games are the SF's. HUGE difference. 3 years from now, when the SF are New Years Day- NYE is a Sunday. Then the following 2 years the NYE games are again the SF's.

Fox and the Big East are going to have a huge decision to make with regards to the NYE marathon.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Yep, you and I have stated this.
I think there is no need for FS1 and the Big East to continue on NYE. I didn't hear anyone cry when ESPN2 went away from their NYE, 5 to 6 basketball games they had for years.

I stated something wrong before as the Rose and Sugar Bowl are the biggest cable ratings ever. I had it listed 3rd and 4th. Might get beat twice in the next two weeks by the NFL game of Arizona at Carolina and Ohio State and Oregon.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board