B1G TV Deal

The home for Big East hoops

B1G TV Deal

Postby TheBasketballOpinion » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:14 pm

"Jim Delaney added Jim Harbaugh to #B1G... Have heard from reputable source he thinks new TV deal will be $50m per school avg- not kidding"

https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status ... 0222995457

I tweeted about this earlier but this has to be seen as a great news for couple reasons:

1. I see the B1G as a business partner not only because of the challenge series but because of our mutual relationship with Fox. So what is good for them is good for us. It's also no secret that eventually the P5 will break away from the rest of the NCAA and it doesn't hurt to have one of those conferences talking us up to be included in the basketball tourney.

2. That dollar figure makes it a hell of a lot more tempting for a potential ACC raid. I'm sure I am not the only one around here who would love nothing more than to see ESPN's second favorite toy get sliced up. To watch the fans/teams/presidents cry foul as their long standing rivalries are destroyed would be nothing short of heavenly bliss.
Georgetown
TheBasketballOpinion

B1G TV Deal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: B1G TV Deal

Postby robinreed » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:19 am

TheBasketballOpinion wrote:"Jim Delaney added Jim Harbaugh to #B1G... Have heard from reputable source he thinks new TV deal will be $50m per school avg- not kidding"

I tweeted about this earlier but this has to be seen as a great news for couple reasons:

1. I see the B1G as a business partner not only because of the challenge series but because of our mutual relationship with Fox. So what is good for them is good for us. It's also no secret that eventually the P5 will break away from the rest of the NCAA and it doesn't hurt to have one of those conferences talking us up to be included in the basketball tourney.

2. That dollar figure makes it a hell of a lot more tempting for a potential ACC raid. I'm sure I am not the only one around here who would love nothing more than to see ESPN's second favorite toy get sliced up. To watch the fans/teams/presidents cry foul as their long standing rivalries are destroyed would be nothing short of heavenly bliss.

1. Do not mistake any behavior of the BIG as being supportive of the BE. They are only interested in themselves. They are only interested in doing what will make them the most money and weaken the competition. Delaney has made that clear by words and actions.

2. An ACC raid would be supported by all or at least most of our fans. However do not think that an ACC minus two to four members would not be desirous of the AAC and perhaps even Villanova, Georgetown and SJU. True thay have never taken a non football member but in a four school raid they may well take one or two. The elevation of AAC members or some of our top schools would not benefit the Big East.
robinreed

Postby notkirkcameron » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:43 pm

robinreed wrote:2. An ACC raid would be supported by all or at least most of our fans. However do not think that an ACC minus two to four members would not be desirous of the AAC and perhaps even Villanova, Georgetown and SJU. True thay have never taken a non football member...

Umm....That's not ENTIRELY accurate... Aren't we forgetting....

Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby TheBasketballOpinion » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:32 pm

robinreed wrote:
TheBasketballOpinion wrote:"Jim Delaney added Jim Harbaugh to #B1G... Have heard from reputable source he thinks new TV deal will be $50m per school avg- not kidding"

1. Do not mistake any behavior of the BIG as being supportive of the BE. They are only interested in themselves. They are only interested in doing what will make them the most money and weaken the competition. Delaney has made that clear by words and actions.

2. An ACC raid would be supported by all or at least most of our fans. However do not think that an ACC minus two to four members would not be desirous of the AAC and perhaps even Villanova, Georgetown and SJU. True thay have never taken a non football member but in a four school raid they may well take one or two. The elevation of AAC members or some of our top schools would not benefit the Big East.

I'm confused about that second point. No chance that AAC takes any Big East teams and the only way the ACC does is if the P5 separate from the NCAA. If that separation were to happen there would be more of an emphasis on the basketball tournament and the P5 schools would take basketball only schools.
Georgetown
TheBasketballOpinion

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Question?

Football-wise there are only 2-3 schools worth taking from the ACC?
The B1G might take S'cuse n Pitt due to their location. The only real football schools are Fl St and Miami.
NC n Clemson are not prime football targets.
Which 4 would be raider targets?

If the ACC gets raided for 3-4 schools, there is only 1 univ there worth having in the BE. Duke.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby robinreed » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:34 pm

TheBasketballOpinion wrote:
robinreed wrote:

I'm confused about that second point. No chance that AAC takes any Big East teams and the only way the ACC does is if the P5 separate from the NCAA. If that separation were to happen there would be more of an emphasis on the basketball tournament and the P5 schools would take basketball only schools.

BBopinion,
Perhaps awkwardly written on my part. I am saying that the AAC and our top teams would be very interested in joining the ACC if the opportunity presented itself. Also as to taking basketball only schools history has shown that schools like ours are never given TV contracts equal to football/basketball schools in the P5. The money is simply not there. Therefore if the B10 ever takes any of our schools only 1 or at most 2 would ever be taken, and yes it is very unlikely but perhaps not impossible. I did not mean to state that the AAC would take any BE schools. We would have no reason to join the AAC.
Last edited by robinreed on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
robinreed

Postby robinreed » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:42 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Question?

The B1G might take S'cuse n Pitt due to their location. The only real football schools are Fl St and Miami.

If the ACC gets raided for 3-4 schools, there is only 1 univ there worth having in the BE. Duke.

There has been speculation that the B10 would take UVA, UNC and Geo Tech because of Delaney's past statements that the B10 would be interested in moving into the south and because the 3 schools mentioned are all AAU. True none of these are top 20 football schools however Rutgers and Maryland were not any better and perhaps worse. FSU will never get into the B10 because they are not AAU.
robinreed

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:17 pm

robinreed wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Question?

There has been speculation that the B10 would take UVA, UNC and Geo Tech because of Delaney's past statements that the B10 would be interested in moving into the south and because the 3 schools mentioned are all AAU. True none of these are top 20 football schools however Rutgers and Maryland were not any better and perhaps worse. FSU will never get into the B10 because they are not AAU.

Ahha...the game changer! Pitt has AAU membership, S'cuse not. With Maryland already gone, losing UVA, the north clikians, and GT would devastate the ACC. Duke losing its' 4 main rivals (incl'd Maryland) would probably be amenable to a BE offer.

In such a scenario the ACC again raids the AAC...
However, in the fallout from a massive departure (reminiscent of the BE losses) one can also see a skiddish ND and Duke looking to move as well. ND is not a full member of the ACC, doesn't receive full shares of revenues. Val should ready a university transfer-assist fund, just in case.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:56 pm

robinreed wrote:

Robin, with respect to your first point, it is in the B1G's best interest for Fox to succeed, and it's primary emphasis is on the economics that power the football side of its existence. Yes, Delaney is focused on the B1G's success, but, as the saying goes, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. This "thing" with the B1G/BE Challenge is a nice little - to Delaney - strategically tactical deal. Why? Support the Fox platform while providing your basketball programs OOC resume events on made-for-TV challenges.

As for point #2, you are missing a very important fact regarding expansion: The powers that be will limit it. There are already 64 teams plus ND comprising the P5. The powers-that-be aren't about wanting weakened conferences to vacuum up lessor programs to backfill for survival, and such a conference or conferences won't want that either, simply because the television cash models won't work.

Raids from here, we're they to occur, may more likely force the 4 x 16 model than find, as an example, the ACC backfilling with xyz and finding that to improve its television package.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby TheBall » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:31 pm

TheBasketballOpinion wrote:
robinreed wrote:

There are some dreamers out there who think that if the acc loses some football schools they would respond by grabbing georgetown, nova and St. John's to lock up the northeast corridor for hoops. The thought is that nd, gtown, nova nd St. John's have enough national pull, they would grab the three main metro areas, and with only a 4 team bb only hybrid some of the problems that existed in the old big east would be less apparent.

I think these people live in pipe dream city, and personally would not want this for nova. I prefer being the top dog on fox than just another one of espn's inventory, and I really like the idea. Competing with 8 other schools that place a high priority in basketball and have fan bases that are devoted to hoops over a mixed interest in football. We are making just as much money now as we would in an acc raid, and you can't beat the exposure, so why mess with happy?

But that is where those comments come from. Again, I think this is complete mental masturbation and not grounded in reality, but there are some dreamers out there who think it will happen if the acc gets raided.
TheBall

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board