Well thats all folks

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Well thats all folks

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:39 am

1) No the NCAA tournament is not a great way to determine the best team. But it is very fun.

2) No kenpom shouldn't choose the champion. Relying on computers would be even worse.

3) Is the Regular Season Championship more indicative of the best team ( Now with a round robin format probably), but when it was unbalanced it wasn't.

4) The BE obviously recognizes both championships, but everyone has placed more emphasis on the tournament championship.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R Jay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 am

hoyahooligan wrote:1) No the NCAA tournament is not a great way to determine the best team. But it is very fun.

2) No kenpom shouldn't choose the champion. Relying on computers would be even worse.

3) Is the Regular Season Championship more indicative of the best team ( Now with a round robin format probably), but when it was unbalanced it wasn't.

4) The BE obviously recognizes both championships, but everyone has placed more emphasis on the tournament championship.

+1
Thanks hoyahooligan. This is all I was trying to get at.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 pm

the thing is- the majority of fans and the press view the NCAA Tourney as absolutely the best way to determine the champion. And that's not going to change ever. March means everything in College Basketball, and has for a very long time.

And it's telling looking at the trophies for the Big East.

Reg season champs get Big East Men's Basketball regular season champion trophies.
tourney champs get Big East Men's Basketball Champions trophies.

pretty easy to tell which one the Big East views as more important.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 pm

stever20 wrote:the thing is- the majority of fans and the press view the NCAA Tourney as absolutely the best way to determine the champion. And that's not going to change ever. March means everything in College Basketball, and has for a very long time.

Reg season champs get Big East Men's Basketball regular season champion trophies.

That's an argumentum ad populum logical fallacy. Just because an idea is popular doesn't make it true. Many believe in bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts, and the Bermuda Triangle, but that doesn't mean they're true.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:33 pm

stever20 wrote:the thing is- the majority of fans and the press view the NCAA Tourney as absolutely the best way to determine the champion. And that's not going to change ever. March means everything in College Basketball, and has for a very long time.

It depends on your definition of best. I think most people would acknowledge it doesn't do the best job at finding the best team. I think everyone thinks it's the best because it's the most exciting and fun not because it's accurate. The NBA, MLB, NHL all have playoffs that are more likely to determine a more accurate champion by playing multigame series.
hoyahooligan

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
R Jay wrote:Think the point Omaha is trying to make is that a single elimination tournament is not a good method to determine the best team in the conference. It's a really small sample size and extremely vulnerable to randomness. Think about it this way: last year Seton Hall upset Villanova and Providence beat St. John's, then Providence beat Seton Hall and then Creighton. Would anyone argue that Providence was the best team in the conference last year? Probably not. That was clearly Villanova.

Clearly Villanova? :lol:

Kind of hard to make that argument when Creighton not only won just as many league games as Villanova did but literally blew the doors off Nova - not once but twice.

No, actually it's a very easy argument to make. Going by the math I've been taught since grade school;

16-2 > 14-4

If you want to try to put some weak spin on it and include BET records(weak because neither Nova or Creighton won it); still using grade school math

16-3 > 16-5

If want to try claim Creighton was better than Villanova last year, you have to ignore that Creighton lost to Providence, St. John's, Xavier, and Georgetown.

BTW Bill, the poster you quoted is a Creighton fan, and you're arguing against him that Creighton was clearly the best team in the BE.
Westbrook#36

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 pm

The Big East recognizes the regular season champion with a trophy. BUT, the overall champion, the Big East Basketball Champion, is the winner of the tournament. That is how the Big East has always done it. It is the same thinking behind the NCAA tournament. In 2011, UCONN finished ninth in the regukar season. It then won both the Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament and was the BIg East Conference Champion and the NCAA Champion - even though it was 9-9 in the league.
redmen9194

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Clearly Villanova? :lol:

Kind of hard to make that argument when Creighton not only won just as many league games as Villanova did but literally blew the doors off Nova - not once but twice.

No, actually it's a very easy argument to make. Going by the math I've been taught since grade school;

16-2 > 14-4

If you want to try to put some weak spin on it and include BET records(weak because neither Nova or Creighton won it); still using grade school math

16-3 > 16-5

If want to try claim Creighton was better than Villanova last year, you have to ignore that Creighton lost to Providence, St. John's, Xavier, and Georgetown.

BTW Bill, the poster you quoted is a Creighton fan, and you're arguing against him that Creighton was clearly the best team in the BE.

Maybe for the first time since this board was formed, I am in agreement with Marsh. If you knock down someone twice, once in their house and once in your house, you are clearly better than they are. Doesn't matter what happens elsewhere. Case closed.
HoosierPal

Postby jfan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Another Creighton fan here arguing against interest. For whatever reason, we were a nightmare match up for Nova last season. Does that mean we were the better team? Head to head ---yes, overall--- I give the nod to Nova. Open to debate though. 8-)
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:25 pm

Yep, let's throw overall record out the window because obviously it doesn't mean anything. :roll:

Every game matters. Not just the one's you're fired up about.

If you beat the 1st place team one game, then lose to the 7th place team next, guess what, that cancel's out that good win.
Westbrook#36

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board