Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
MackNova wrote:1. Villanova

2. St. John's
3. Georgetown
4. Providence
5. Butler
6. Xavier
7. Seton Hall (would be 6 if Whitehead were healthy)
8. Marquette (bumped to 8 because of Fischer's recent play)
9. Creighton

10. DePaul

If you asked me to list this group tomorrow, 3-7 could be in a totally different order.

I agree with this completely. I also agree with Golden Warrior's position that Fischer is a real difference maker and makes them a legit contender in the mix with the rest of that 3-7. Every time I've seen this Marquette team, I've liked what I've seen.

It's hard to tell the last 3 teams Marquette have played are complete dreck, so outside of a decent Arizona St team the new Marquette hasn't been tested yet, I'll wait till they play a couple of big east teams before I proclaim them completely different.
hoyahooligan

Re: Posts your big east rankings heading into nye

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rum_Ham » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:25 pm

1. Nova - obvious
2. St Johns - Great starting 5 hopefully some bench guys step up in conference play
3. Georgetown - Think they will continue to get better as their freshmen mature a bit
4. Providence - Since their loss against Brown they have been playing great with good wins against Rhode Island, UMass, and Miami
5. Xavier - I have only seen them against Missouri and Alabama but they have a great offense and i think they can beat anyone at home
6. Marquette - May be a bit of a homer pick as a marquette fan but this team has played like a tournament team since getting Luke Fischer
7. Butler - Frankly, i don't think they have the talent or depth that other teams in the conference have but they play hard have have a good defense which will make them competitive
8. Seton Hall - Would have been higher if Whitehead wasn't injured, probably around 5-6 with him healthy
9. Creighton - This a rebuilding year for them but they have played better than I expected, will not be an easy win especially at home
10. Depaul - They suck and Fox is paying them 4 million dollars a year to basically serve as a potential RPI killer to any team that they might beat. Hope they go 0-18
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby dmac80 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:29 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Before Luke Fischer arrived, I would have made the case that Marquette was #10. However, after seeing the impact and difference he makes, this is a completely different Marquette team. Good things happen when he's on the floor (and when Taylor's minutes, as a result, are reduced). We will be 8 strong!

1. Villanova
2. St. John's
3. Georgetown
4. Providence
5. Xavier
6. Butler
7. Marquette
8. Seton Hall (Whitehead injury is devastating)
9. Creighton
10. DePaul

And yet still 7th in conference?

1. Villanova

2. Georgetown
3. St. John's
4. Providence
5. Marquette
6. Butler
7. Xavier
8. Seton Hall (Whitehead injury is devastating)
9. Creighton
10. DePaul

And I could see a lot of movement in 2-8. PC opens hosting Creighton then @MArquette, @Butler, Georgetown, St John's, @Creighton. Man, welcome to Big East play. Dunn and Henton play like all big east players consistently, we contend, they don't, we probably languish in the middle and miss the cut.

Marquette scares me after the activation of the big man transfer and they have had our number for years until that double OT thriller from last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... -9D1B6YYN0

Edit I flip flopped Georgetown and St Johns. Jury is out on SJU til they prove themselves further.
Last edited by dmac80 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:05 pm

1. Villanova
2. Georgetown
3. St Johns
4. Xavier
5. Providence
6. Butler
7. Marquette
8. Seton Hall
9. Creighton
12. DePaul
HoosierPal

Postby R Jay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I posted this on a Creighton message board yesterday so I figured I'd post it here, too, in a slightly edited form. It's a little long:

1. Villanova
- Class of the league. They've been tested and though they've gotten a bit lucky, they're still undefeated and clearly the most talented team in the Big East. I've seen no reason why they don't win the regular season title.
KenPom 6th overall, adjO - 8, adjD - 16
Predicted finish - 1, NCAA

2. St. John's
- Coming into this year I had my doubts about the Johnnies, but they've only lost to Gonzaga so far. I am very impressed by their defense, which I wasn't sure about coming in to this season. They are a very small team (particularly with Obekpa in foul trouble) and don't have great depth, though. I see them falling late as their lack of depth comes back to haunt them.
KenPom 18th overall, adjO - 128, adjD - 4
Predicted finish - 4, NCAA

3. Georgetown
- Georgetown could very easily be undefeated, but they lost a few games that were very close (Wisconsin, Butler, Kansas). That's not particularly surprising, though, given how many underclassmen they play. They are playing at a much quicker tempo this season and are employing a slightly longer bench. They should improve as the season goes as their talented freshmen get acclimated to Big East play.
KenPom 29th overall, adjO - 23, adjD - 64
Predicted finish - 2, NCAA

4. Xavier
- Xavier has a couple of bad losses, but like Georgetown, it's not very surprising since they are so young. Unfortunately their weak non-conference schedule may really hurt them come Selection Sunday. Again, like Georgetown they should improve as their freshmen adjust to conference play.
KenPom 31st overall, adjO - 11, adjD - 108
Predicted finish - 3, NCAA

5. Butler
- Butler might be the surprise of the year so far. They took down North Carolina and Georgetown in the Battle 4 Atlantis, but lost to Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Indiana, not that any of those are bad losses. Though their defense has impressed, their offense has really underwhelmed. Like St. John's they are not very tall or deep. In a conference as tough as the Big East this year, that will really hurt them.
KenPom 37th overall, adjO - 130, adjD - 11
Predicted finish - 5, NCAA

6. Seton Hall
- The young Pirates are what we thought they were. They've taken care of business against the mid-majors and weak majors on their schedule thus far, but lost at Wichita and Georgia, their two toughest opponents. They probably don't have enough quality non-conference wins to be on the right side of the bubble on Selection Sunday if they don't finish in the top half of the Big East. Before the Isaiah Whitehead injury, I was going to say that they would be a team that would really improve throughout Big East play, but now, I have my doubts.
KenPom 40th overall, adjO - 75, adjD - 38
Predicted finish - 8, NIT

7. Providence
- The Friars hit a rough speedbump in the middle of non-conference play losing three straight to Kentucky, Boston College, and Brown, but seem to have righted the ship. The Friars have good wins over Notre Dame and Miami. If they finish in the top half of the Big East they should make the Big Dance. They are a solid, but not spectacular team offensively and defensively. They don't have very good bench depth, though, and will be in big trouble if they lose Kris Dunn again. Their lack of depth will hurt them as the season progresses.
KenPom 49th overall, adjO - 56, adjD - 68
Predicted finish - 7, NIT

8. Creighton
- Uneven is a great description of the Jays so far. Creighton has a great win over Oklahoma and a good win over Nebraska, but painful losses to Ole Miss, Tulsa, St. Mary's, and North Texas. Even if they finish in the top half of the conference they will likely be on the bubble on Selection Sunday. It is most certainly a team that is still trying to find itself. The Jays do have good height and bench depth, unlike a lot of the other Big East teams. Austin Chatman must stay healthy, though if they are to be NCAA or NIT contenders. They should improve throughout conference play, especially since they have more home games down the backstretch.
KenPom 77th overall, adjO - 46, adjD - 131
Predicted finish - 6, NIT

9. Marquette
- The Golden Eagles look much better with Luke Fischer on the floor than without him. They so far have a bad loss to UNO and decent wins over Arizona State and Tennessee. They also have three top 25 losses to Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. They would probably be on the outside looking in even if they finished in the top half of the Big East on Selection Sunday, though. Both their offense and defense is OK, but not great. A major problem for them is their depth. They only have eight players on scholarship and if Fischer gets in foul trouble will have a 6'6 or 6'7 forward stuck at the 5 spot. That is just too much for the Golden Eagles to overcome.
KenPom 107th overall, adjO - 101, adjD - 111
Predicted finish - 9, CBI/CIT

10. DePaul
- Oh DePaul. I guess we shouldn't have expected much. The Demons are on a six game skid losing to weak major teams and good-but-not-great mid-major teams. They also lost earlier at home to Lehigh. They do have a good win over Stanford. If they were to finish in the top half of the league they would most definitely be on the outside looking in. They have looked decent on offense at times (and horrid at other times) but have been awful on defense. They have OK depth and height. Unless DePaul improves dramatically on defense, I don't see them getting out of the cellar.
KenPom 208th overall, adjO - 97, adjD - 320
Predicted finish - 10, None

*KenPom data current as of Saturday, December 27th
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:06 pm

one thing to remember about the NIT while it's a 32 team tourney, really only about 20 spots are available at large. The other 12 are reg season champs from 1 bid conferences that lose in their conference tourney and are then automatic for the NCAA tourney. I'd say it's very unlikely we would get 3 NIT teams.
stever20

Postby EMT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:07 pm

wow... this is the most depth PC has had in 10 years probably
EMT

Postby BEhomer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:14 pm

1 & 10 are obvious.

2. Gtown - they just pass the eye test. DSR outside and josh smith inside. young athletic wings.

3. st johns - most athletic team. lacks structure/schemes on offense.

4-6. toss up between seton hall, butler, providence.

7. xavier - dee davis and myles davis backcourt just doesn't cut it for me.

8. marquette - lack of depth could come into play

9. creighton - a team full of solid players but lacks difference maker.
BEhomer

Postby Nildogg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:23 pm

edit: (Range of possibility) and no doubt my bias has me giving Butler the edge with their range of possibility!

1. Nova - Class of BE (1 or 2)
2. St. Johns - Can they focus/be diciplined? (1-4)

3. Georgetown - Will (can) Smith Hustle? (2-5)
4. Butler - Defense will decide; thin margin of error. (3-8)
5. Providence - Just feel they're better than... (4-7)
6. Marquette - Experienced additions trumps... (5-8)
7. Xavier - youth, untested, but could be explosive. (3-7)

8. Seton Hall - will Whitehead miraculously heal? (4-8)
9. Creighton - McBuckets isn't walking in that door... rebuild, but tough at home. (6-9)

10. DePaul. good thing Chicago taxpayers are being gouged even further to help this cause. (10)
Last edited by Nildogg on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nildogg

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:48 pm

I wouldn't want a program that doesn't have high expectations for themselves, but having peaked in at all the school's message boards save DePaul, let's just say there's going to be a number of program's fans who are sorely disappointed at the end of the year. Hopefully it won't be mine. Every school seems to think they'll finish top 4(obviously not everyone at every school, but enough at every school). Obviously some of those thoughts are more realistic that others, but everyone is thinking it. Hopefully all the players are too and it'll make for quite the exciting season. I think we have 7 schools that if they were to finish with double digit BE wins would get invitations to the Dance. I hope we can get at least 6 in and make some noise.
hoyahooligan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board