Posts your big east rankings heading into nye

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Posts your big east rankings heading into nye

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:58 am

hoyahooligan wrote:I wouldn't want a program that doesn't have high expectations for themselves, but having peaked in at all the school's message boards save DePaul, let's just say there's going to be a number of program's fans who are sorely disappointed at the end of the year. Hopefully it won't be mine. Every school seems to think they'll finish top 4(obviously not everyone at every school, but enough at every school). Obviously some of those thoughts are more realistic that others, but everyone is thinking it. Hopefully all the players are too and it'll make for quite the exciting season. I think we have 7 schools that if they were to finish with double digit BE wins would get invitations to the Dance. I hope we can get at least 6 in and make some noise.

let's look-
Nova, St John's- obviously yes.
Seton Hall. goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. record is 20-11. Likely in.
Providence Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. record is 20-12. Bubble for sure.
Butler. Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is 20-12. Bubble for sure.
Xavier. Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is either 19-13 or 20-12. 20-12 likely in, 19-13 likely out. Cincy game looms large.
Georgetown. Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is 18-12. In.
Creighton. Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is 19-13. Out
Marquette Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is 18-13. Out

So 3 that would be in for sure I think- Nova, St John's, and Georgetown. 4 others that are really on the bubble. SH would be most likely. Other 3 really nervous.

The question also becomes moreso what teams could win 9 games and make the tourney. I think unless St John's beats Duke, the only one would be Nova. Maybe if St John's wins a tourney game they would have a shot.

getting 6 with the records we have is going to be really tough.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby EMT » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:I wouldn't want a program that doesn't have high expectations for themselves, but having peaked in at all the school's message boards save DePaul, let's just say there's going to be a number of program's fans who are sorely disappointed at the end of the year. Hopefully it won't be mine. Every school seems to think they'll finish top 4(obviously not everyone at every school, but enough at every school). Obviously some of those thoughts are more realistic that others, but everyone is thinking it. Hopefully all the players are too and it'll make for quite the exciting season. I think we have 7 schools that if they were to finish with double digit BE wins would get invitations to the Dance. I hope we can get at least 6 in and make some noise.

let's look-
Providence Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. record is 20-12. Bubble for sure.
Xavier. Goes 10-8 in conference loses 1st rd. Record is either 19-13 or 20-12. 20-12 likely in, 19-13 likely out. Cincy game looms large.

So 3 that would be in for sure I think- Nova, St John's, and Georgetown. 4 others that are really on the bubble. SH would be most likely. Other 3 really nervous.

The question also becomes moreso what teams could win 9 games and make the tourney. I think unless St John's beats Duke, the only one would be Nova. Maybe if St John's wins a tourney game they would have a shot.

So....SHU & PC are ahead of G'town in all the major RPIs right now and if all three finish 10-8 and lose in the 1st round, G-town is in and SHU & PC are on the bubble?
EMT

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

EMT wrote:
stever20 wrote:

let's look-

So....SHU & PC are ahead of G'town in all the major RPIs right now and if all three finish 10-8 and lose in the 1st round, G-town is in and SHU & PC are on the bubble?

Especially with Seton Hall- what have they really done OOC? win over GW and that's really it.
PC you may have a pretty solid point. They would definiely be safer than Seton Hall.
Looking long term- Georgetown's expected SOS is 30 spots higher than Seton Hall. Right now, 1 loss means a lot in the RPI. As we go along, that 1 extra loss won't mean anywhere near as much in the RPI. I'd probably flip what I said- PC in most likely and SH in with Xavier and Butler as being very nervous.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Here we go again with figuring out who is in and who is out before one conference game has been played.

Here's the bottom line... EVERY team with the exception of DePaul has done well enough to still be in contention for a bid. Whomever you are a fan of, you are still in good shape at this point. The great thing about this year is that BE teams--for the most part--have stayed away from the devastating losses and gotten a few good-to-great scalps along the way. As long as your team does what it should: finish in the top half of the conference and stay away from losses to DePaul, then you've got better than a fighter's chance. 10-8 in the league this year will mean so much more than 10-8 in the league last year because there will be a lot of Top 50 RPI wins in those 10 wins. Our collective RPI's are very good. So a SJU loss to someone like SHU is not a killer like it was in year's past. And I see Nova losing around 4 conf games this year. If those are to 4 different teams, then there are 4 more Top 10-20 RPI signature wins on resume's. If SJU continues to win, they too now provide an opportunity for another Top 25 RPI quality win. That is what the committee will look at when they meet.

Lastly not only can we not predict our own conference but try figuring out others. If GW goes 15-1 in conference then SH benefits. IF UNC wins the ACC then Butler's win is that much better. If Indiana ends up in the Top 3 of the B1G then G'twn's luster improves. Will the PC Notre Dame win look better than the Creighton Oklahoma win, or the SJU Syracuse win? There is really no way of predicting that now. Point being: soooo much basektball left to play before we need to argue if SHU, Butler or Prov is in better shape to make the tourney.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:10 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Here we go again with figuring out who is in and who is out before one conference game has been played.

Here's the bottom line... EVERY team with the exception of DePaul has done well enough to still be in contention for a bid. Whomever you are a fan of, you are still in good shape at this point. The great thing about this year is that BE teams--for the most part--have stayed away from the devastating losses and gotten a few good-to-great scalps along the way. As long as your team does what it should: finish in the top half of the conference and stay away from losses to DePaul, then you've got better than a fighter's chance. 10-8 in the league this year will mean so much more than 10-8 in the league last year because there will be a lot of Top 50 RPI wins in those 10 wins. Our collective RPI's are very good. So a SJU loss to someone like SHU is not a killer like it was in year's past. And I see Nova losing around 4 conf games this year. If those are to 4 different teams, then there are 4 more Top 10-20 RPI signature wins on resume's. If SJU continues to win, they too now provide an opportunity for another Top 25 RPI quality win. That is what the committee will look at when they meet.

Lastly not only can we not predict our own conference but try figuring out others. If GW goes 15-1 in conference then SH benefits. IF UNC wins the ACC then Butler's win is that much better. If Indiana ends up in the Top 3 of the B1G then G'twn's luster improves. Will the PC Notre Dame win look better than the Creighton Oklahoma win, or the SJU Syracuse win? There is really no way of predicting that now. Point being: soooo much basektball left to play before we need to argue if SHU, Butler or Prov is in better shape to make the tourney.

The thing is, right now pretty much it's going to take 10-8 records in conference to have a chance to make the tourney(without the auto bid). For Creighton and Marquette, it's 11-7(and Xavier could be in the same boat if they lose to Cincy).

Also a loss to the 9th place team will be pretty bad.
Creighton-if they finish 4-14 would finish 13-18. RPI forecast has that record equating to a 156 RPI, almost exactly what Butler was last year.
Marqutte if they finish 4-14 would finish 12-18. RPI forecast has that record equating to a 143 RPI. A smidge better, but not by much.
pretty much any team if they finish 4-14 would be pretty bad. Maybe not as bad as in past years if it's one of the other teams- but still pretty bad. Not that much of a difference if a team is 125 or 150- it's still not a good loss. On the nitty-gritty report the committee sees, it's grouped as 101-200.
stever20

Postby shupirate98 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Well this was a fun thread to read again.

Snicker.
shupirate98

Postby TheBall » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Results are posted in the first post of the new rankings thread.

I wanted to get to the results prior to new year's but it just didn't happen.

Kudos to all who participated.
TheBall

Postby FriarJ » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
FriarJ wrote: SJU looks great but I think they are fragile.

What is that based on?

Still want to know what I mean?
FriarJ

Postby MackNova » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm

FriarJ wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
FriarJ wrote: SJU looks great but I think they are fragile.

What is that based on?

Still want to know what I mean?

I put St. John's at #2 in the Big East, but that was mostly because their resume deserved it. You're always waiting for the other shoe to drop with that team. Rysheed isn't even playing a huge role, but there's always something with that team.
MackNova

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board