Christmas Day - 1 Game... DePaul v LMU...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Christmas Day - 1 Game... DePaul v LMU...

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:33 pm

billyjack wrote:Forrest Robinson was 1-for-6 from three... now 4 out of his last 21 from three, under 20%.

I don't like talking about kicking out or relegating any of us, and the fans and alumni care and are almost at the breaking point. There is no reason why things can't improve quickly, but in order to improve they absolutely have to change coaches. There are some excellent possibilities.

I'm maybe the most ridiculously optimistic Big East fan around, and i have absolutely no hope that Purnell can ever turn things around.

That's what we love about you, BJ - your eternal sense of optimism. And your appreciation of Big East history and the perspective that brings. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:08 am

billyjack wrote:Taking a break from setting up the kids' presents under the tree tonight...

We have 1 game on tap for Christmas Day...

1:30pm, DePaul vs Loyola Marymount. <--- Diamond Head Classic, Honolulu.

I hope everyone here has a great Christmas. Should be an enjoyable game to watch. The over-under is "5" on how many threes will be attempted by 6'-10" Forrest Robinson.

Side note is that PC freshman guard Kyron Cartwright was committed to Loyola Marymount until coach Max Good moved on last Spring.

And I can't forget to mention the 1990 LMU Lions of Paul Westhead, with stars Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. Running, gunning, hitting threes, scoring 100 points a game. Tragic WCC tourney. Their run to the Elite-8 I think, where they fell to running, gunning, eventual champion UNLV of Jerry Tarkanian, who i think slowed the pace that game. UNLV went on to win the final by 30 or so against Duke, back when Coach K and his team would literally cry on the bench every year while being eliminated.

Loyola Marymount is near Marina Del Rey in west Los Angeles. On the Pacific Coast Highway, not far from Malibu and Pepperdine's beautiful campus. Originally LMU was 2 separate schools, but in the 70's Loyola U combined with Marymount College, which among other things officially made LMU co-ed.

Anywho, have a great day tomorrow!

actually the LMU/UNLV game back in 1990 was a final score of 131-101... think you may be remembering the game before it, where Alabama really slowed down the game and only lost 62-60(this is on the heels of the LMU/Michigan 149-115 game the weekend before).
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:15 pm

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Taking a break from setting up the kids' presents under the tree tonight...

We have 1 game on tap for Christmas Day...

1:30pm, DePaul vs Loyola Marymount. <--- Diamond Head Classic, Honolulu.

I hope everyone here has a great Christmas. Should be an enjoyable game to watch. The over-under is "5" on how many threes will be attempted by 6'-10" Forrest Robinson.

Side note is that PC freshman guard Kyron Cartwright was committed to Loyola Marymount until coach Max Good moved on last Spring.

And I can't forget to mention the 1990 LMU Lions of Paul Westhead, with stars Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. Running, gunning, hitting threes, scoring 100 points a game. Tragic WCC tourney. Their run to the Elite-8 I think, where they fell to running, gunning, eventual champion UNLV of Jerry Tarkanian, who i think slowed the pace that game. UNLV went on to win the final by 30 or so against Duke, back when Coach K and his team would literally cry on the bench every year while being eliminated.

Loyola Marymount is near Marina Del Rey in west Los Angeles. On the Pacific Coast Highway, not far from Malibu and Pepperdine's beautiful campus. Originally LMU was 2 separate schools, but in the 70's Loyola U combined with Marymount College, which among other things officially made LMU co-ed.

Anywho, have a great day tomorrow!

actually the LMU/UNLV game back in 1990 was a final score of 131-101... think you may be remembering the game before it, where Alabama really slowed down the game and only lost 62-60(this is on the heels of the LMU/Michigan 149-115 game the weekend before).

Yes, that's right! Thanks for checking on that.

LMU was an amazing team. Insane scores:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... edule.html

Gonzaga scored 100 points at LMU, and lost by 44.
San Francisco scored 115 points at LMU, and lost by 42.
...and one of LMU's 6 losses was at Xavier...!
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
billyjack wrote:Forrest Robinson was 1-for-6 from three... now 4 out of his last 21 from three, under 20%.

I don't like talking about kicking out or relegating any of us, and the fans and alumni care and are almost at the breaking point. There is no reason why things can't improve quickly, but in order to improve they absolutely have to change coaches. There are some excellent possibilities.

I'm maybe the most ridiculously optimistic Big East fan around, and i have absolutely no hope that Purnell can ever turn things around.

That's what we love about you, BJ - your eternal sense of optimism. And your appreciation of Big East history and the perspective that brings. 8-)

Thanks Bill...!
But "the pleasure is all on this side of the table..." (as one of the Bobs said in 'Office Space').
Providence
billyjack

Postby Boyee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:17 am

I'm a DePaul alumnus (Class of 2007) and DePaul needs to clean house and fire Head Coach Oliver Purnell and Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto if they do not DePaul will stay in the cellar of the Big East. DePaul needs a coach with ties to Chicago & Chicagoland high schools, and an athletic director who cares about the success of the DePaul Blue Demons men's basketball team. The last head coach DePaul had any success with was Dave Leitao.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby Boyee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:49 pm

DePaul's only wins currently are against Illinois-Chicago (UIC), Drake, Stanford, Northern Illinois, Chicago State, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board