last year vs this year

The home for Big East hoops

last year vs this year

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:14 am

just looking team by team OOC-
Villanova- better this year if they beat Syracuse
Butler- better this year if they beat Indiana
Georgetown- better last year(better wins)
St John's better this year
Xavier better this year if they beat Cincy, Auburn
Creighton better last year
Providence better last year
Seton Hall better this year
Marquette better this year
DePaul still up in the air- depends on Hawaii tourney- they probably closest of any team.

So to me got St John's, Seton Hall, and Marquette already better this year. Got Georgetown, Creighton, and Providence already better last year. 3 up in the air but likely leaning towards this year. Biggest improved team of course is Seton Hall. Biggest drop to me is Providence(could wind up with 5 losses depending on this weekend). Think 2nd biggest improvement surprisingly is Marquette. Remember last year they beat no body at all OOC. This year they have wins over Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and Arizona St, which more than makes up for the loss to Omaha to me.
stever20

last year vs this year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: last year vs this year

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 am

stever20 wrote:just looking team by team OOC-
DePaul still up in the air- depends on Hawaii tourney- they probably closest of any team.

So to me got St John's, Seton Hall, and Marquette already better this year. Got Georgetown, Creighton, and Providence already better last year. 3 up in the air but likely leaning towards this year. Biggest improved team of course is Seton Hall. Biggest drop to me is Providence(could wind up with 5 losses depending on this weekend). Think 2nd biggest improvement surprisingly is Marquette. Remember last year they beat no body at all OOC. This year they have wins over Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and Arizona St, which more than makes up for the loss to Omaha to me.

I guess if we're just talking resumes, but I'm not sure yet on a couple teams being better or worse. for Example Marquette's resume is substantially better this year, but are they actually better? to me none of Georgia Tech, Tennessee, or Arizona St are tournament teams. Last year's team lost only to tournament teams OOC ( although there were 5 of them) and didn't have a bad loss like Omaha. Last year they had a win over GW a tournament team OOC I don't think they have one yet, maybe Tennessee based on a weak SEC and the Butler win. They seem more like a wash to me than clearly better, just a weaker schedule since Arizona st lost a lot from the team they played last year and they swapped loses to New Mexico with a loss to Omaha.

Providence last year OOC: Didn't have a win over a tournament team. Lost to Maryland, Kentucky, and @ Umass. This year losses to BC, Brown, and Kentucky, but win over ND a tournament team. So yeah the losses are worse this year, but wins are better. I'd be more apt to agree with you if we were just using the eye test, but resume wise I don't think they're substantially worse off than last year.

Georgetown: Last year we had 2 wins over eventual tournament teams in VCU and Kansas st at this point. We had a bad loss to Northeastern, a blow out loss to Kansas, and a loss to Oregon. So actually it seems pretty even. No bad losses. A loss to Kansas, but this one was much more respectable. Other 2 losses are to ranked teams. So no bad loss this year and each team has a win over a ranked at the time and likely tournament team, last year we had a win over Kansas St who ended up in the tournament but at this point in the season wasn't thought of one until the upset Gonzaga and that's kind of a wash with the Northeastern loss. So i'd say it's pretty even especially since the team that won those games wasn't the team that we got the rest of the year, where as this year we assume we'll have all our players the rest of the year.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
stever20 wrote:just looking team by team OOC-

I guess if we're just talking resumes, but I'm not sure yet on a couple teams being better or worse. for Example Marquette's resume is substantially better this year, but are they actually better? to me none of Georgia Tech, Tennessee, or Arizona St are tournament teams. Last year's team lost only to tournament teams OOC ( although there were 5 of them) and didn't have a bad loss like Omaha. Last year they had a win over GW a tournament team OOC I don't think they have one yet, maybe Tennessee based on a weak SEC and the Butler win. They seem more like a wash to me than clearly better, just a weaker schedule since Arizona st lost a lot from the team they played last year and they swapped loses to New Mexico with a loss to Omaha.

Providence last year OOC: Didn't have a win over a tournament team. Lost to Maryland, Kentucky, and @ Umass. This year losses to BC, Brown, and Kentucky, but win over ND a tournament team. So yeah the losses are worse this year, but wins are better. I'd be more apt to agree with you if we were just using the eye test, but resume wise I don't think they're substantially worse off than last year.

Georgetown: Last year we had 2 wins over eventual tournament teams in VCU and Kansas st at this point. We had a bad loss to Northeastern, a blow out loss to Kansas, and a loss to Oregon. So actually it seems pretty even. No bad losses. A loss to Kansas, but this one was much more respectable. Other 2 losses are to ranked teams. So no bad loss this year and each team has a win over a ranked at the time and likely tournament team, last year we had a win over Kansas St who ended up in the tournament but at this point in the season wasn't thought of one until the upset Gonzaga and that's kind of a wash with the Northeastern loss. So i'd say it's pretty even especially since the team that won those games wasn't the team that we got the rest of the year, where as this year we assume we'll have all our players the rest of the year.

For Georgetown- was using the Michigan St game as well. With that along with VCU and Kansas St- much better than this year.

For Marquette for 1 they have 1 fewer loss which is important- but also 3 Ken Pom top 100 wins(compared to 1 last year- #47 GW- but then their next best OOC win was vs #207 Southern!). The Omaha game was real early(like 2nd game early). Squeaked by NJIT- and getting better each time out.

For Providence- guess if they win both vs UMass and Miami they would be close to equal(if not better this year)- but otherwise, it's at least 1 more loss, and much worse losses.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:20 pm

just looking comparing last year end of year OOC RPI to this years current RPI:
the ones real close to the same:
Villanova this year 12 last year 13 +1

much better this year:
Seton Hall this year 19 last year 63- +44
Marquette this year 60 last year 92 +32
St John's this year 44 last year 68 +24

worse this year:
DePaul this year 189 last year 79 -110
Creighton this year 136 last year 29 -107
Providence this year 76 last year 15 -61
Georgetown this year 77 last year 58 -19
Butler this year 48 last year 34 -14
Xavier this year 51 last year 40 -11

have to say a bit surprised with Butler and Xavier especially. Although I would say that both with some big chances to get good wins that would probably put them ahead of last year. DePaul- wow. They could if they finish like 2-16 in conference play be almost a RPI bomb this year quite frankly. They never were worse than 132 in the OOC period last year in RPI.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board