Why We're Never Going Back (To CSNBBS)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Why We're Never Going Back (To CSNBBS)

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 am

With the need to have a tin-foil hat if you post over there, there are some truly hysterical and illogical arguments/points that can be read. Some of my favorites:

Pro-AAC
East Carolina would be in the ACC, if not for UNC/Duke/Wake/NCState holding them back and blocking them all these years. *Includes the Big East C7 schools as well, for blocking them into the Big East for so long.
UCF and/or USF should be in the ACC/Big 12, because they bring the "Florida market".
SMU would be in the SEC/ACC/Big 12, because they bring the Dallas market, and they have would have a premiere football program if not for the Texas schools blowing the whistle on them for the death penalty.
Houston should be in the ACC/Big 12, because they bring the Houston market, as well as providing a pipeline for Texas recruits - something that the other P5 Texas schools apparently don't do.
Football drives the bus, hence the reason why they get more $$$ and exposure than the other G5 conferences and Big East.
AAC is a P6 conference because they have major markets and great football history and tradition.

Anti-Big East
No cares about a "little sisters of the poor" Catholic conference.
Private schools can't be good at basketball.
Fox Sports 1 only gets a .01 viewership.
No Big East school has had tournament success in the past 20 years.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

first and foremost UD didn't nor would they ever flip anyone off, it's not in their DNA. I have no firsthand knowledge of the conversations between NBE and UD but believe with a high degree of confidence discussions have been had on several fronts. And of course Dayton would welcome a Big East expansion that included the Flyers. It's not even close, just from a regular season standpoint as a season ticket holder who do you think Flyer fans would rather host? Georgetown or GW, St. John's or Fordham, Nova or Joe's/Lasalle?

re: media sources saying Fox is not pleased with ratings and won't pay for expansion. Media consultants (people who buy air time) and companies like Fox are in the same business and they talk just like any other salesman and customer. So it wouldn't be unusual for this kind of information to be on the street. My best friend buys television spots and does so via a consultant (ad agency) not directly from Fox, CBS or ABC. These consultants negotiate with the networks on behalf of their book of business leveraging their book for better rates and positioning for their clients. It's their business to know what's on sale, good example, almost without fail my friend lands 2nd half (local spots) for the Super Bowl. He doesn't buy them now rather waits just days before the Super Bowl when the spots have been discounted. So finding out what Fox thinks of a product isn't all that difficult. And then it's in lady luck's hand, if the Super Bowl is competitive he gets a super deal but if it's a blowout then the $'s aren't very well spent.
BEwannabe

Postby WaitingPatiently » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Ratings don't seem to be as critical as the 'skeptics' would like us to believe. Fox gets $0.23 per month from all 90 million cable users every month in carriage fees. (I don't remember if that rate is exactly right, but it's in the ballpark. And ESPN is over $5.00 per month per subscriber for the main network alone!!!!) That works out to roughly $248m per year to Fox in carriage fees alone. They aren't going to scoff at a bit more payout as long as they have that kind of carriage. Obviously they'd generate much more in advertising if they get more eye balls and/or interested markets, etc. But I'd be shocked if they were not already turning a hefty profit with just carriage fees. It's why the key to cable network survival is carriage. Some of the lowest rated ones carried on the most households are the most profitable networks. It's also why expansion bringing a market doesn't play as key a role as made out to be either. Most every market is already carrying FS1. Delivering a market mattered for the B1G Network....because they needed something to hold over more cable carriers to expand their households. The east coast cable companies weren't going to pay their rates...until Maryland and Rutgers came aboard. That was enough to get more of those cable companies to sign up.
Creighton BSBA '96, MSITM '00, and MBA '01
WaitingPatiently

Postby ohiohsbball » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Message boards are what they are; a bunch of fans that post their opinions and some of them claim to "know someone in the know" and post information. Honestly, I think everyone needs to take everything with a grain of salt. Whether it is this message board or another message board, nobody really has any true credentials on the line.

My opinion is pretty consistent with a lot of people on a lot of message boards. Expansion will happen as soon as all of the money is figured out. I have been on the record saying several times that expansion will happen in the first three years and the candidates are probably St. Louis and Dayton. If I'm wrong, oh well, that is just my opinion I have formed from reading a lot of articles and talking to the handful of people I know that work for universities and are in the media. I realize a lot of fans like a round robin, ten team schedule, but look at the other "power" leagues; are they staying at ten? Although football is a huge reason why, you are going to see the Big12 expand quickly because they were shunned in the football playoffs by the BIG and Ohio State. The landscape is not settled at all, and I still think major conferences going to 16 teams is very much a possibility with even the football playoffs going to 8 teams. I think we all need to wait and be patient. Will the new BE be considered a major conference among other conferences, especially within the power 5 and football? Will the NBE be successful without the football schools that left? Will Fox Sports 1 be a major challenge to ESPN within the next decade, or will it fizzle out like some other networks that have launched a 24 hours sports coverage channel? None of these answers anyone knows, which makes the guessing game all the more fun. It's only year two; let's see what happens.
ohiohsbball

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:47 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:Message boards are what they are; a bunch of fans that post their opinions and some of them claim to "know someone in the know" and post information. Honestly, I think everyone needs to take everything with a grain of salt. Whether it is this message board or another message board, nobody really has any true credentials on the line.

My opinion is pretty consistent with a lot of people on a lot of message boards. Expansion will happen as soon as all of the money is figured out. I have been on the record saying several times that expansion will happen in the first three years and the candidates are probably St. Louis and Dayton. If I'm wrong, oh well, that is just my opinion I have formed from reading a lot of articles and talking to the handful of people I know that work for universities and are in the media. I realize a lot of fans like a round robin, ten team schedule, but look at the other "power" leagues; are they staying at ten? Although football is a huge reason why, you are going to see the Big12 expand quickly because they were shunned in the football playoffs by the BIG and Ohio State. The landscape is not settled at all, and I still think major conferences going to 16 teams is very much a possibility with even the football playoffs going to 8 teams. I think we all need to wait and be patient. Will the new BE be considered a major conference among other conferences, especially within the power 5 and football? Will the NBE be successful without the football schools that left? Will Fox Sports 1 be a major challenge to ESPN within the next decade, or will it fizzle out like some other networks that have launched a 24 hours sports coverage channel? None of these answers anyone knows, which makes the guessing game all the more fun. It's only year two; let's see what happens.

It's not about having different opinions. The point of this thread is how over on that board it is acceptable to troll the Big East board and it's fans. Thats a MOD completely trying to troll Big East and Xavier fans. Thats the point, not that we all have different opinions, but when you (not you but the royal you) are making up inflammatory stuff and posting it on a board that your rival is on, thats trolling and it's a MOD!!!
NJRedman

Postby ruechalgrin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Dayton has and is giving absolutely no information to their very very top donors. The UD administration and athletic department believe there is only downside to passing along any inside information they may or may not have and were incredibly tight lipped even 1-2 years ago when the Big East added new members and Dayton was part of the consideration list.

Please do not believe the inside sources from Dayton, it is all nonsense and conjecture. The people in the know at Dayton have had a standard response for the last 1-2 years that we are very happy in the A-10, we are always looking for ways to enhance our academic and athletic reputation (read of course we would take an invite to the BE if offered).

Dayton would not jeopardize even what is a remote chance to join the BE in the future due to people spreading unsubstantiated rumors. I am a Dayton fan and obviously biased, but don't believe what Cincy fans post about Dayton or Xavier.
ruechalgrin

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:26 pm

ruechalgrin wrote:Dayton has and is giving absolutely no information to their very very top donors. The UD administration and athletic department believe there is only downside to passing along any inside information they may or may not have and were incredibly tight lipped even 1-2 years ago when the Big East added new members and Dayton was part of the consideration list.

Please do not believe the inside sources from Dayton, it is all nonsense and conjecture. The people in the know at Dayton have had a standard response for the last 1-2 years that we are very happy in the A-10, we are always looking for ways to enhance our academic and athletic reputation (read of course we would take an invite to the BE if offered).

Dayton would not jeopardize even what is a remote chance to join the BE in the future due to people spreading unsubstantiated rumors. I am a Dayton fan and obviously biased, but don't believe what Cincy fans post about Dayton or Xavier.

Oh of course, no one actually believes that troll. We all know that no way Dayton would "flip us off". Even on a professional level, you never know as an administrator when a job offer might come from any of the ten schools in the BE.
NJRedman

Postby gosports1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:With the need to have a tin-foil hat if you post over there, there are some truly hysterical and illogical arguments/points that can be read. Some of my favorites:

Pro-AAC
East Carolina would be in the ACC, if not for UNC/Duke/Wake/NCState holding them back and blocking them all these years. *Includes the Big East C7 schools as well, for blocking them into the Big East for so long.
UCF and/or USF should be in the ACC/Big 12, because they bring the "Florida market".
SMU would be in the SEC/ACC/Big 12, because they bring the Dallas market, and they have would have a premiere football program if not for the Texas schools blowing the whistle on them for the death penalty.
Houston should be in the ACC/Big 12, because they bring the Houston market, as well as providing a pipeline for Texas recruits - something that the other P5 Texas schools apparently don't do.
Football drives the bus, hence the reason why they get more $$$ and exposure than the other G5 conferences and Big East.
AAC is a P6 conference because they have major markets and great football history and tradition.

Anti-Big East
No cares about a "little sisters of the poor" Catholic conference.
Private schools can't be good at basketball.
Fox Sports 1 only gets a .01 viewership.
No Big East school has had tournament success in the past 20 years.

you forgot the part about how the recruits arent committing to the BE anymore! :lol:
gosports1

Postby ElDonBDon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 am

Memphis, Cincy, UConn, and Temple need to be saved from these bums. These are real programs in real markets with loads of potential and respectable histories. UCF contends only with Dayton as the poster child of mid-majors, ECU has decent football, I guess. Tulane is a good school academically. I mean, I'm reaching here. Without Lville, the AAC is a bunch of ragtag redheaded stepchildren.

And I never heard of CSNBBS until now. Apparently it's not worth checking out. Thanks for saving me some time, guys.
ElDonBDon

Postby Dew » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:44 am

An idea: if there are any remaining Xavier or real big east fans there why don't you simply tell them to come here. Don't encourage people to go back there and get involved in a troll fight.
Dew

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board