interesting point on Butler

The home for Big East hoops

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Was looking at a ESPN thing done last week about the big surprises of the 1st month..
Goodman brought up the Big East as a whole...

Joe Lunardi brought up Butler specifically and their great start(done before the Tennessee game)...

Lunardi brough up though how it'll be interesting to see how Butler handles 1st 2 conference games being at Nova and at St John's. Just looking at their schedule- after that- they get 2 home games with PC and Xavier- before going back on the road for Seton Hall and Georgetown. Haven't looked at all the conference schedules- but would have to think that's about as tough of an opening period as anyone has. Not only 4/6 on the road- but probably the 3 toughest teams in the conference(along with a pretty good Seton Hall team as well- also Xavier at home). Crucial for them to get off to at least a 3-3 start in conference play....
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: interesting point on Butler

Postby R Jay » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Creighton's opening stretch is pretty tough, too. Five of their first eight are on the road. The first two games are at Providence and at Georgetown followed by home games against DePaul and Seton Hall. After that they go to Marquette (always a tough place to play), host Providence, and then travel to Butler and Nova. It's possible that we could go 1-7 (I don't think we will, but again it is possible).
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Let's be honest, there really aren't any easy stretches of schedule for anyone in this league. 3 ranked teams already, and it's not out of the question that Georgetown and Seton Hall could make it 5 by the time league play starts. Having half the league ranked on January 1st would mean everyone is going to be playing a brutal schedule, but it would also mean opportunities aplenty for teams to play their way into the dance.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:08 pm

just looking-
Butler- 4 of 1st 6 away- all 4 teams ranked top 32
Creighton- while a lot on the road- of the 1st 6 games only Georgetown and Seton Hall ranked top 32. Got DePaul and Marquette in there as well... Much tougher mid season with a 4 game stretch at Butler, at Nova, St John's, Georgetown
Georgetown- team wise not bad at all. Have Butler/Nova Jan 17,19, otherwise no ranked teams until Feb 7. But end with 6/7 games against top 32 teams.
PC- open with Creighton and Marquette- but then Butler, Georgetown, St John's.
Seton Hall- opens with St John's and Nova. Then after Xavier and Creighton 2 Butler games in a 12 day stretch.
St john's- opens with real tough 1st 3 games- Seton Hall, Butler, and Nova.
Villanova- opens with real tough 1st 3 games- Butler, Seton Hall, and St John's.
Xavier- 4/5 tough games to open with Georgetown, Seton Hall, Butler, and Nova.

So Butler, St John's, Nova, and Xavier all real tough starts. (DePaul too- games 4-7 Nova, Georgetown, St John's, and Seton Hall).

basically just looking - the schedules all have their ebbs and flows. All those with tough early schedules- but then a ending schedule for Georgetown that is brutal.
stever20

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Which benefits Georgetown since we'll be even better in February than we are now.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:33 pm

I think the point on Butler, it's maybe more important for them than any of the other programs to get off to a good conference start. They don't want to lose first 2-3 games and start hearing here we go again- just like last year.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board