What should new conference name be?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby epink » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 pm

New conference name? In need of good ideas!
epink

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What should new conference name be?

Postby Bluejay » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Does the Big East name still have a great eal of goodwill or is it considered tarnished goods?
Bluejay

Postby FlyerFan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I've seen the "Big Priest" bandied about. Humorous or offensive?
FlyerFan

Postby Jet915 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

I think "Big Priest" would be a funny nickname but prefer Big East still. It has a lot of cache still as a basketball league, not as a football one.
Jet915

Postby admin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:01 pm

I'd be surprised if the new name had any religious context to be honest. The worse thing you could do would be to alienate recruits and TV networks by pigeon holing into Catholic exclusivity.
admin
Site Admin

Postby juantag » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

most Catholic schools, especially Jesuit schools, have names that don't suggest a Catholic identity at all. if you know your Jesuit saints, then you might know that Gonzaga and Xavier are named for a couple of them. Notre Dame is named for Jesus's mom, if you know French. otherwise, you've mostly got names of cities and of people: Creighton, St Louis, Marquette, Dayton, etc.

I wouldn't expect the conference's name to have any particular Catholic associations. how about Midwest Atlantic Conference? or Atlantic Midwest, if you don't like MAC...
juantag

Postby Bluejay » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:42 am

juantag wrote:I wouldn't expect the conference's name to have any particular Catholic associations.

I agree and think this is important to avoid turning people off. It also wouldn't seem appropriate if BUtler is added.
Bluejay

Postby xman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:36 pm

NY Post wrote an article on this. No doubt it will end up in court.
“The three schools that are staying in the Big East will argue that the trademark registrations and name are no different than any other Big East property, which belongs to the Big East Corporation,” Rupp said. “When the Catholic Seven leave the Big East, the name stays with the corporation.’’

But it’s not a lock, not by a long shot.

“The Catholic Seven, on the other hand, will claim that the name belongs to them because they are synonymous with the Big East brand,’’ Rupp said. “Like trademark disputes over rock band names, the Catholic Seven will likely argue that they are like Mick Jagger, who was largely responsible for making the Rolling Stones, the Rolling Stones. “This argument is more likely to succeed if the Catholic Seven can show that they and not the three schools that are staying controlled how the mark was licensed. In trademark law, if you control the quality of the product sold under a trademark, you have standing to claim that you own that mark.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/ ... weK2jPQK/1
xman

Postby admin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:01 pm

While the name "Big East" has value, I'm not opposed to something that more closely matches what we will be. Plus, the name "big East" has become a punching bag of sorts in college athletics so maybe stepping away is better.
admin
Site Admin

Postby UDGutter2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:03 pm

The All Catholic Conference, ACC for short, or if some other colleges don't like it, the All Catholic League, or ACL, and then when a school leaves the headline would read THE ACL IS TORN. :D
UDGutter2

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board