Marquette's Burton and Dawson to transfer

The home for Big East hoops

Postby R Jay » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Deonte Burton and John Dawson will transfer at the end of the semester, according to Matt Norlander.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24876538/marquette-down-to-8-scholarship-players-following-two-more-transfers

Thoughts from Marquette fans?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marquette's Burton and Dawson to transfer

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Jesus!
hoyahooligan

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 pm

I guess these guys didn't buy into Wojo's new direction? This stuff often happens with a new coach, Burton probably wants a more prominent role in the program, I'm assume.
Westbrook#36

Postby handdownmandown » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Nobody better need to take a leak, that's for certain.
handdownmandown

Postby FormulaX » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm

I thought Burton was going to be a starter/key player for Marquette this year. It's better to separate now, then later. At least, we've seen that Woj. can land talent.
FormulaX

Postby marquette » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Dawson showed flashes at times last year, but has been more or less nailed to the bench this season. Sad to see him go but not a major loss on the minutes side. Good luck to him in the future.

Burton is more troubling. I thought he could wind up being one of the better players on the team. There is a bit of a logjam at the 2/3 position this season, and it might get worse next year. I don't know if he was worried about getting lost in the shuffle or if he just doesn't like Wojo's system. Either way, I wish him the best of luck in future endeavors.

We are about to get taller, but lose some much needed warm bodies. I wish they would have held off until the end of the season.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Very disappointing to hear, but I really wish both young men good luck. Deonte had some family troubles before season began, and I believe there was nothing really keeping him to Milwaukee anymore (he's from MKE). John never really saw any time this year (except for 1st game). I hope they find nice landing spots and can excel at their new homes.

From a basketball perspective, the team was already low on players. Even with Luke Fischer coming in, we still only have 8 players eligible this year (Wilsons, Anderson, Johnson, Taylor, Carlino, Fischer, Cohen). I would think adding walk-ons would be a necessity for practice purposes, but with the coaching staff we currently have - who play competitively during practices - perhaps they sit on the 3 open scholarships they have until next summer.

Any win this year will be well deserved and earned. The kids have been fighting and clawing for everything this season. Love their determination and hustle.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby abplar06 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Anyone could see Dawson was leaving but Burton is a bit surprising. Deonte never seemed comfortable in Wojo's system and I feel that Wojo would not have ever recruited a player like Deonte because,although he is an excellent athlete, hes more of an undersized post player who cant shoot, rebound, or defend. Ill give Wojo a chance here to bring in the type of players that fit what he wants to build.
abplar06

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I must be one of the few not surprised.

Dawson was the most obvious, he had only even played in one game. When you can't work your way into a 6-7 man rotation I'd say you aren't gonna stick around long.

Burton also could barely get into this short rotation, which really shocked me after some of his performances last year. When he did get in he didn't look like the same player at all. Either he just really didn't buy into Wojo or something else was off , maybe last year was an aberration, I have no idea. Either way, after being so featured as a freshman and then not as a sophomore, as well as the incoming class, it doesn't shock me at all to see him leave. I would assume he will get some phone calls from pretty decent schools.
Chalmers0

Postby marquette » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Chalmers0 wrote:I must be one of the few not surprised.

Dawson was the most obvious, he had only even played in one game. When you can't work your way into a 6-7 man rotation I'd say you aren't gonna stick around long.

Burton also could barely get into this short rotation, which really shocked me after some of his performances last year. When he did get in he didn't look like the same player at all. Either he just really didn't buy into Wojo or something else was off , maybe last year was an aberration, I have no idea. Either way, after being so featured as a freshman and then not as a sophomore, as well as the incoming class, it doesn't shock me at all to see him leave. I would assume he will get some phone calls from pretty decent schools.

In regards to Burton having a somewhat underwhelming season to this point, his mother passed away a couple of months ago and it is clearly still affecting him. It may or may not be the cause for his struggles this year, but he always got a pass from me. I hope he winds up in a great situation and I will cheer for him whatever happens (unless he plays us).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board