Tues Dec 9th, 4 Games...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tues Dec 9th, 4 Games...

Postby Edrick » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 pm

McDermott went full-retarded, not fouling in the ALWAYS FOUL situation.

You never go full-retard.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BluejaysForThree » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:42 pm

CU up 4 with 1:47 left in OT #2... James Milliken with 20 points - a career high. What a weird damn game.
BluejaysForThree

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Ok, Creighton, I need to sleep tonight. You have the ball, no shot clock and you are up 5 points. You can do this.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BluejaysForThree » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 pm

CU survives in Double OT after some RIDICULOUS three point shooting down the stretch from South Dakota. Note to CU... Never Schedule... South... Dakota... AGAIN! Chatman and Milliken stepped up big tonight... guys had to be gassed after playing 50 minutes tonight just two nights after beating NU in Lincoln. Guess a win is a win... :D
BluejaysForThree

Postby admin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Holy smokes that game was entertaining. It seems like one of those nights where David was going to beat Goliath so you take any win you can get.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jet915 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Wow, that was almost embarrassing.....credit to South Dakota, they wouldn't go away but it's disappointing Jays couldn't put this team away. Probably a letdown from the high of beating Nebraska two days prior. A win is a win I guess...
Jet915

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:04 am

Screw disappointing. They pulled every nugget they had out of their asses and still lost. We played like shit and still won.

This wasn't a conference game and we are still inexperienced. Bag the win , move on.

Disappointing is Brown or Lehigh.
handdownmandown

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:12 am

Disappointing, but not disheartening loss the by Pirates. They're one of the youngest teams in the nation and coach threw them right into the fire scheduling their first road game in one of the toughest venues in the country. It was something they were going to experience eventually and I think they'll be all the better for experiencing it this early. It's very possible that the only more hostile environment they'll go to this season is @Creighton.

Overall, I didn't think they looked overmatched by Wichita State's team as much as they were affected by the crowd. They really lost the game in about a 5 minute span in the first half (from somewhere around the 10 to 5 minute marks) when Wichita went on a run and the Pirates seemed to lose their composure. That was the bunch in the mouth Willard had been talking about leading up to this game and unfortunately, they didn't handle it too well, but that'll come with experience. There were some positives and some negatives, but overall a good experience for the team and far from the end of the world.

Positives:
-Good start- I expected Wichita State to hit the Pirates hard out of the gate, the Seton Hall started well and actually led for most of the first 10 minutes.
-Isaiah Whitehead- One freshman that was up to the task in his first road game. He's also the only Pirate who's shot was consistently falling tonight. He's also okay after the injury scare.
-Offense- Certainly some negatives here too, but in general the offense should be considered a positive. The 68 points is the most regulation points Wichita State has allowed so far this season. Utah was the only other team to hit 60, with exactly that number.
-2nd half- Both teams traded some mini runs throughout the 2nd half. The Pirates were unable to cut into the large deficit they dug themselves too much, but did prevent it from getting out of control.

Negatives:
-Rest of the freshman- Delgado had an okay game, but he had a rare size advantage and didn't take advantage as well as he could have. Rodriguez and Carrington were pretty much invisible.
-The upper classman- They were the biggest disappointment. Sina, normally a lights out shooter, couldn't buy a bucket today. 0-5 from 3, 0-6 from the field, 0-2 from the line. He was getting a lot of open looks too. I doubt he'll have another night this bad all year. Mobley hit some free throws, but got into foul trouble himself and did little else. Gibbs hit some late buckets to bulk up his stat line, but he didn't shoot very well when it mattered and turned the ball over 5 times. These were the guys who needed to keep their composure and guide the team through a tough stretch, but it didn't happen.
-Free throws- You're not gonna beat many teams when you shoot under 60% from the charity stripe. The Pirates struggled here all year and this is the first time they really paid for it.

Once again, overall it's not the end of the world. It got a very young team valuable experience and they'll grow from it. I wouldn't mind seeing the Shockers again on a neutral floor in March. With a couple more months of experience under their belts, I think the Pirates could take them.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Ajay0626 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 am

Just got back from the game...

Four questions I would like answered from Coach McD:

1) why did our starting center not play a minute in two OTs? If he isn't our best center(which he is in my opinion), why is he starting????

2) why did our starting pf not play a minute in two OTs? I feel like I'm being repetitive...

3) how do we not eat SD alive down low when our center was being guarded by a 6'2 kid? (Goes back to #1) is he not strong enough down low or do our guards lack the passing ability for a post feed?

4) why are we running time off the clock in both OTs on offense when we should be scoring? We set ourselves up to be beaten/tied when we refuse to make any effort to get up by more than 2!!!!!
Ajay0626

Postby cu blujs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:16 am

I'll bite on the first one. Maybe because he was pretty much ineffective and Will was playing his butt off. And as for number 3, how is it Will's fault when the wings wont pass the ball inside. He had great position down low numerous times with a guard on him and no one threw him the ball.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board