2018 Big Ten BB Tourney to MSG

The home for Big East hoops

Big Ten(14) Tournament officially @MSG in 2018

Postby CURx » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:30 am

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11989790/big-ten-tournament-played-madison-square-garden-2018

They are playing it a week early however to accommodate MSG's prior commitments. It sounds like this is Delany's first step towards trying to make a rotation of the MSG. I wonder if he will try to power rotate the Big East off of the normal weekend during this rotation? We will also see how that extra week between tournaments effects Big Ten(14) teams as MVC teams often complained about.
CURx

Big Ten(14) Tournament officially @MSG in 2018

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2018 Big Ten BB Tourney to MSG

Postby BigMac » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 am

Delaney wants to annex the Big East to make "The Big One" conference. they already have the logo.
BigMac

Postby DeltaV » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:38 pm

BigMac wrote:Delaney wants to annex the Big East to make "The Big One" conference. they already have the logo.

That would be fun...one mega conference. Have a bracket for the football schools, bracket for the non-football schools, and then a championship between the two.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Piratefan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:52 pm

NFW do we merge or add football schools. Uconn would be ok if it pledged its hoops media rights and played FB elsewhere.
Piratefan

Big 10 conference tourney

Postby Ajay0626 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:19 am

nm
Last edited by Ajay0626 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ajay0626

Re: Big 10 conference tourney

Postby robinreed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:25 am

I truly oppose this event. Of course we can do absolutely nothing about it and so we must smile and grind our teeth at the same time. The reason this will be bad is that the media will observe the full attendance at the B10 tourney and compare that to our attendance which will be good but not nearly as good. We will look small by comparison. Perhaps our schools are in fact small compared to B10 schools but our basketball is not. In the misdirected wordage of our day PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Our perception will suffer. The talking heads will have a field day with this.

On the other hand the ACC tourney in NYC will be fine because they are playing in Brooklyn. I would not be surprised if a jazz quartet playing at BAM would outdraw the ACC. Especially if Syracuse goes out early.
robinreed

Postby robinreed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 am

I truly oppose this event. Of course we can do absolutely nothing about it and so we must smile and grind our teeth at the same time. The reason this will be bad is that the media will observe the full attendance at the B10 tourney and compare that to our attendance which will be good but not nearly as good. We will look small by comparison. Perhaps our schools are in fact small compared to B10 schools but our basketball is not. In the misdirected wordage of our day PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Our perception will suffer. The talking heads will have a field day with this.

On the other hand the ACC tourney in NYC will be fine because they are playing in Brooklyn. I would not be surprised if a jazz quartet playing at BAM would outdraw the ACC. Especially if Syracuse goes out early.
robinreed

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:42 am

robinreed wrote:I truly oppose this event. Of course we can do absolutely nothing about it and so we must smile and grind our teeth at the same time. The reason this will be bad is that the media will observe the full attendance at the B10 tourney and compare that to our attendance which will be good but not nearly as good. We will look small by comparison. Perhaps our schools are in fact small compared to B10 schools but our basketball is not. In the misdirected wordage of our day PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Our perception will suffer. The talking heads will have a field day with this.

Since the Big Ten is playing a week earlier, they get to share headlines with the Long Island Blackbirds and the Saint Peter's Peacocks.

Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 am

CURx wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11989790/big-ten-tournament-played-madison-square-garden-2018

They are playing it a week early however to accommodate MSG's prior commitments. It sounds like this is Delany's first step towards trying to make a rotation of the MSG. I wonder if he will try to power rotate the Big East off of the normal weekend during this rotation? We will also see how that extra week between tournaments effects Big Ten(14) teams as MVC teams often complained about.

It will be really interesting to see how the extra week impacts the Big Ten teams. Though I wonder if you may see some teams playing an OOC game that championship week against conferences that also play their title games early.

The thing that would be interesting would be if the teams are more successful than before with the longer break. Does that change anything?
stever20

Re: Big Ten(14) Tournament officially @MSG in 2018

Postby NJRedman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:11 am

CURx wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11989790/big-ten-tournament-played-madison-square-garden-2018

They can't unless they want to break their contract with us which will cost them a pretty penny. Our contract is for tourny week. If they really wanted to dump us for a B1G rotation they would have already done so.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board