2018 Big Ten BB Tourney to MSG

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Big Ten BB Tourney to MSG

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:35 am

NJRedman wrote:
CURx wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11989790/big-ten-tournament-played-madison-square-garden-2018

They are playing it a week early however to accommodate MSG's prior commitments. It sounds like this is Delany's first step towards trying to make a rotation of the MSG. I wonder if he will try to power rotate the Big East off of the normal weekend during this rotation? We will also see how that extra week between tournaments effects Big Ten(14) teams as MVC teams often complained about.

They can't unless they want to break their contract with us which will cost them a pretty penny. Our contract is for tourny week. If they really wanted to dump us for a B1G rotation they would have already done so.

It might not be here, but as we go along getting closer to the end of the contract, could see a scenario like what happened with the A10 where MSG would say we'll extend the contract for a few extra years, BUT in this year, the Big Ten gets it Tourney week. Or our contract now runs thru 2026. Say in 2019 they come to us and say we'll extend thru 2036- but the Big Ten gets tourney week in 2023, 2027, 2031, 2035. Tough thing there is if we say no, what happens after the contract is over in 2026?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RDinNY » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:04 am

The ACC wanted the Garden on a rotation basis before the Big East signed the new deal. MSG prefers a toyrney that will be there every year. We are locked in until 2027, and likely beyond, unless ACC or B1G want to move to MSG permanently. Not gonna happen.
RDinNY

Postby FormulaX » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:35 am

The Illinois fans are not happy with this decision.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/s ... hp?t=21985
FormulaX

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:00 am

robinreed wrote:I truly oppose this event. Of course we can do absolutely nothing about it and so we must smile and grind our teeth at the same time. The reason this will be bad is that the media will observe the full attendance at the B10 tourney and compare that to our attendance which will be good but not nearly as good. We will look small by comparison. Perhaps our schools are in fact small compared to B10 schools but our basketball is not. In the misdirected wordage of our day PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Our perception will suffer. The talking heads will have a field day with this.

On the other hand the ACC tourney in NYC will be fine because they are playing in Brooklyn. I would not be surprised if a jazz quartet playing at BAM would outdraw the ACC. Especially if Syracuse goes out early.

This is unfortunately true. The B1G tournament will have better attendance if for no reason other than that it's a 1 time thing compared to our annual event. All NYC area B1G alumni will because for many of them, it could be their only chance to see their alma matter play in their back yard for years- they wouldn't miss it. And for traveling fans, it's a new big time location that they would really embrace and travel to. For the Big East on the other hand, the local alumni get to see their team play locally at least twice a year between the tournament and the St. John's game (and they really don't have to go far for the Seton Hall game either), so it's really not the can't miss even that it will be for the B1G fans. And for our traveling fans...it's not exactly cheap for fans from Creighton, Marquette, DePaul etc. to get here. To do it once is 1 thing (and the B1G will benefit from it), but to do it every single year gets really expensive. A lot of fans have to pick and choose what years they come.

So really, the B1G having better attendance is going to happen and it's going to mean absolutely nothing, but the powers that be at ESPN will milk it for everything it's worth in an effort to trash the Big East's perception. If there's ever a year we need to pack out the Garden for every single BET game (although I hope we do every year), it's 2018.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am

Hall2012 wrote:
robinreed wrote:I truly oppose this event. Of course we can do absolutely nothing about it and so we must smile and grind our teeth at the same time. The reason this will be bad is that the media will observe the full attendance at the B10 tourney and compare that to our attendance which will be good but not nearly as good. We will look small by comparison. Perhaps our schools are in fact small compared to B10 schools but our basketball is not. In the misdirected wordage of our day PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Our perception will suffer. The talking heads will have a field day with this.

On the other hand the ACC tourney in NYC will be fine because they are playing in Brooklyn. I would not be surprised if a jazz quartet playing at BAM would outdraw the ACC. Especially if Syracuse goes out early.

This is unfortunately true. The B1G tournament will have better attendance if for no reason other than that it's a 1 time thing compared to our annual event. All NYC area B1G alumni will because for many of them, it could be their only chance to see their alma matter play in their back yard for years- they wouldn't miss it. And for traveling fans, it's a new big time location that they would really embrace and travel to. For the Big East on the other hand, the local alumni get to see their team play locally at least twice a year between the tournament and the St. John's game (and they really don't have to go far for the Seton Hall game either), so it's really not the can't miss even that it will be for the B1G fans. And for our traveling fans...it's not exactly cheap for fans from Creighton, Marquette, DePaul etc. to get here. To do it once is 1 thing (and the B1G will benefit from it), but to do it every single year gets really expensive. A lot of fans have to pick and choose what years they come.

So really, the B1G having better attendance is going to happen and it's going to mean absolutely nothing, but the powers that be at ESPN will milk it for everything it's worth in an effort to trash the Big East's perception. If there's ever a year we need to pack out the Garden for every single BET game (although I hope we do every year), it's 2018.

Yes, the stands will be full but that will only be a nice by-product. This is all about money. Sponsors will be stepping on each other to line up deals with the Big Ten for the tourney. The Big Ten will use the 'off weekend' to their advantage saying that the Big Ten Tourney will be THE major event on the weekend.
HoosierPal

Postby FormulaX » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm

24 Hrs later, Dana with the first digs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -right-now

As recently as two years ago, the thought of another league muscling into the Big East's real estate was blasphemous. The conference owned New York and there was no room for anyone else, not just in terms of actual space, but also branding.

But the new Big East is vulnerable. The league has a long-term deal with the Garden, but its attraction is not what it once was. Meantime, the ACC and Big Ten continue to grow, in numbers, in appeal and, now, in manifest destiny
FormulaX

Postby adoraz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:41 pm

FormulaX wrote:24 Hrs later, Dana with the first digs.

As recently as two years ago, the thought of another league muscling into the Big East's real estate was blasphemous. The conference owned New York and there was no room for anyone else, not just in terms of actual space, but also branding.

But the new Big East is vulnerable. The league has a long-term deal with the Garden, but its attraction is not what it once was. Meantime, the ACC and Big Ten continue to grow, in numbers, in appeal and, now, in manifest destiny

What a joke. Hope ESPN likes it when 3-4 of the teams in today's poll are Big East teams. They say stuff like this because they're scared.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby R Jay » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:47 pm

What a hack. Pathetic. I wish I could take back my view I just gave to the page.
She does realize that the Big Ten Tournament is a full week ahead and will not be competing, per say, with us, right?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Jet915 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:53 pm

FormulaX wrote:24 Hrs later, Dana with the first digs.

Haha, she's really getting annoying. The Big Ten is the pathetic conference that has to do their tourney during mid major conference week in order to get into NYC. She's such a hack.
Jet915

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board