Memphis and Cincy to Big 12?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Memphis and Cincy to Big 12?

Postby pki1998 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Assuming the 4x16 model comes to be, which conference die. My money's on the Big 12, but if the Big10 and SEc attach the ACC maybe it's the Big 12 that survives. I could see a situation where Boston College might be available. Having a team in Boston would be a nice add for the conference!
Xavier
pki1998

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ElDonBDon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 pm

pki1998 wrote:Assuming the 4x16 model comes to be, which conference die. My money's on the Big 12, but if the Big10 and SEc attach the ACC maybe it's the Big 12 that survives. I could see a situation where Boston College might be available. Having a team in Boston would be a nice add for the conference!

Football drives the bus. Big 12 has all those Texas schools as well as OU. And OSU is solid as well. If I had to guess, I would say the ACC. Remember that Maryland and FSU originally voted against the exit fees. With so many consistently awful fball teams in the ACC, I think there has to be some tension between the stronger programs (e.g., Miami, FSU) and the rest. They really are the new Big East 2.0 in that regard.
ElDonBDon

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:53 pm

ElDonBDon wrote:
pki1998 wrote:Assuming the 4x16 model comes to be, which conference die. My money's on the Big 12, but if the Big10 and SEc attach the ACC maybe it's the Big 12 that survives. I could see a situation where Boston College might be available. Having a team in Boston would be a nice add for the conference!

Football drives the bus. Big 12 has all those Texas schools as well as OU. And OSU is solid as well. If I had to guess, I would say the ACC. Remember that Maryland and FSU originally voted against the exit fees. With so many consistently awful fball teams in the ACC, I think there has to be some tension between the stronger programs (e.g., Miami, FSU) and the rest. They really are the new Big East 2.0 in that regard.

It'll be the Big 12 that dies. For 1 just history. ACC around a whole lot longer than the Big 12. The ACC was extremely vulnerable a few years ago, but managed to escape.

Also not really sold on the 4x16 model just from the Pac 12 perspective.
stever20

Postby gosports1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:53 pm

If I had to pick one to fold it would be the B12. The ACC will survive. Love him or hate Swofford is a smart guy and a good leader. Those schools are committed to each other and the ACC. They are the Eastern representative. B10 the northern, SEC the southern and P12 the western.
the B12 will also survive but i think they have the most members that think they COULD be better off in a differnt league
gosports1

Postby NJRedman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Without doubt it's the Big XII who is in the most danger. The Pac-12 wont expand with ACC schools. They want and I think will eventually get it's big fish in UT, OU, OSU and Tech. I think the SEC takes either two ACC schools like VT and NC St or one of them and WVU.

If things go the way I think they will/should it will look like this when the dusts settles.

Pac-12:

West:
USC
UCLA
UO
OSU
UW
WSU
SU
Cal

East:
UT
Tech/Baylor
OU
OSU
UC
Utah
UA
ASU

SEC:

West:
Bama
AU
MSU
UM
Mizz
A&M
LSU
Ark

East:
UF
Tenn
UK
Vandy
UGa
USC
VT
NC St

B1G:

East:
OSU
UM
PSU
RU
Mary
MSU
UVA
ND

West:
Iowa
Wisc
Minn
Pur
NW
Neb
IU
Ill

ACC:

North:
Cuse
BC
Pitt
WVU
UofL
Cincy
Kansas
KSU
ISU

South:
FSU
Miami
Clemson
GT
Duke
UNC
Wake
TCU
Baylor
NJRedman

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:16 pm

I really don't know why there's so much VCU hate on this board.

If it's about institutional fit, VCU will never be accepted. If there's a fear a public school will join then develop football - well then have no fear about VCU. We have no donors who are willing to pony up 100 Million to start a football program.

If it's on the court success you want, put VCU's resume against all the other "candidates" and measure it up. To the fan who used "the past 40 years" and "sweet sixteens" as measurements..... Why not final fours and recent history? Doesn't recent history weigh more toward future success than 35 years ago?

Measure up VCU against SLU, who's had a "decent season" so far? They have a home loss to "Texas A&M- Corpus Christi" yes, TAM-CC. They have a decent win @Indiana St, but lost by 30 to Wichita St. You want to knock VCU's performance against the #1/#2 SOS so far? Not to mention the win just now @Cincinatti

Or last year, where they were pretty good. Yet their best OOC wins were against IND St., Yale and @ Vanderbilt. Of course they lost a lot this year, but VCU has 2 seniors who play (3rd is at the end of the bench) and 1 junior! The rest are freshmen/sophomores, including all of the big men. It takes time to adjust to the defensive style.

Other candidates are: UR (look at their schedule and results, great endowment - unfortunately their money hasnt registered into basketball success) Dayton (decent, great attendance).

The fact of the matter is, if any other candidate had VCU's on the court success, people here would be calling it a no brainer, or a slam dunk. Maybe it's "havoc" and hand checking that causes people on this board to hate the idea, and so be it.

VCU has had 2 straight top 25 recruiting classes, accounting for ALL of the ESPN100 recruits in the A10. The other realistic expansion candidates are all coming from.... The A10. It takes time to build a perennial top 30 program, I dont mind the wait. Please just don't try to claim SLU having a "decent" season to back up your predetermined want of them in the conference, just say they're private and VCU is public, "and that's why we want the Billikens".

Good luck with Jim Crews.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby R Jay » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Again, since when is realistic criticism "hate"?
Also, for those who are taking jabs at SLU this season, realize that they are completely rebuilding from last year.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby NJRedman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:I really don't know why there's so much VCU hate on this board.

If it's about institutional fit, VCU will never be accepted. If there's a fear a public school will join then develop football - well then have no fear about VCU. We have no donors who are willing to pony up 100 Million to start a football program.

If it's on the court success you want, put VCU's resume against all the other "candidates" and measure it up. To the fan who used "the past 40 years" and "sweet sixteens" as measurements..... Why not final fours and recent history? Doesn't recent history weigh more toward future success than 35 years ago?

Measure up VCU against SLU, who's had a "decent season" so far? They have a home loss to "Texas A&M- Corpus Christi" yes, TAM-CC. They have a decent win @Indiana St, but lost by 30 to Wichita St. You want to knock VCU's performance against the #1/#2 SOS so far? Not to mention the win just now @Cincinatti

Or last year, where they were pretty good. Yet their best OOC wins were against IND St., Yale and @ Vanderbilt. Of course they lost a lot this year, but VCU has 2 seniors who play (3rd is at the end of the bench) and 1 junior! The rest are freshmen/sophomores, including all of the big men. It takes time to adjust to the defensive style.

Other candidates are: UR (look at their schedule and results, great endowment - unfortunately their money hasnt registered into basketball success) Dayton (decent, great attendance).

The fact of the matter is, if any other candidate had VCU's on the court success, people here would be calling it a no brainer, or a slam dunk. Maybe it's "havoc" and hand checking that causes people on this board to hate the idea, and so be it.

VCU has had 2 straight top 25 recruiting classes, accounting for ALL of the ESPN100 recruits in the A10. The other realistic expansion candidates are all coming from.... The A10. It takes time to build a perennial top 30 program, I dont mind the wait. Please just don't try to claim SLU having a "decent" season to back up your predetermined want of them in the conference, just say they're private and VCU is public, "and that's why we want the Billikens".

Conference additions are based on more than just on the court/field success. If it was DePaul would be in the Horizon League. SLU brings a new large TV market, and they fit with this league on a cultural level than any other school out there.

VCU is good, and will definitely be in the mix when it comes to Big East expansion. But it's not like you guys are a slam dunk that we could never regret in say 10-15 years from now.
NJRedman

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:51 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:I really don't know why there's so much VCU hate on this board.

Conference additions are based on more than just on the court/field success. If it was DePaul would be in the Horizon League. SLU brings a new large TV market, and they fit with this league on a cultural level than any other school out there.

VCU is good, and will definitely be in the mix when it comes to Big East expansion. But it's not like you guys are a slam dunk that we could never regret in say 10-15 years from now.

I completely understand adding SLU if it's based on cultural/institutional fit and market size. SLU isn't a bad program at all, but their results this year aren't good. Again, if expansion occurs and is based on markets/institutional fit, VCU would not be the first school called. If you want to base it on results, VCU would be #1. The conference would just have to risk the public thing, as well as being in the 53rd market. In this instance, VCU benefits by being a public, as the fanbase has a stronger presence throughout the state (population heavy Va Beach and northern VA).

It just seems that there is great angst towards VCU on this board, maybe because of Stever or that Shaka toyed with Marquette. I talk to a lot of Georgetown alum and fans, being in DC - all say they'd love to add VCU. Maybe it's just this board.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby Noonzy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Nobody cares about BC basketball in Boston. It's all about football and hockey. They started the exodus to the ACC-let them rot there.
Providence College
Noonzy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board