Big East Conference Player Hater Ball

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Player Hater Ball

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:12 am

aughnanure wrote:
notkirkcameron wrote:Marquette: Holy Personality Disorders, Batman. Pick a name and stick with it. You've been the Warriors, the Lightning, the Warriors again, then the Golden Eagles, then nearly the Warriors again (to the point where everyone just calls you that anyway because it's just easier at this point), then for a week you were the Gold and that was f---ing weird, and then back to Golden Eagles...and that's all just since 1993, and not including at least three other nicknames held before then.

Wait, when the hell were we the lightning? Like...ever. We did not go from Warriors to Lightning back to Warriors.

I had always been told that when the name change came about in 1994, the initial reports said that MU was changing its name to the Lightning. Reaction was so swift and negative that they quickly cobbled together a vote, and that's where Golden Eagles was chosen over Lightning, and the majority of votes (for Warriors) were disregarded.

billyjack wrote:Providence (PC) - No sitcom or character or anything was ever set here... maybe the Alec Baldwin father character in "Outside Providence" who wore a wife beater tshirt, drank too much, swore too much, he seemed like a Rhode Islander.... Ben Stiller's character in "Something About Mary" was funny but weird.... there was the Love Story character... the irritating girlfriend who got sick was from Cranston... also, there was a soap opera with Melina Kanakarides and BJ Honeycutt that was set here... maybe we can piggyback off the many Boston shows... say, Coach from "Cheers".

I will admit, it's been a long time since I've been in Rhode Island (unsurprisingly easy when it's all tucked away over there), but aren't we forgetting?Image

Related: Providence easily has the creepiest mascot in the Big East. It's staring into my soul and looks like it's one decent Kool-Aid punch away from leading its followers back to the spaceship of eternal enlightenment.
Last edited by notkirkcameron on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FormulaX » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 am

aughnanure wrote:
notkirkcameron wrote:

Wait, when the hell were we the lightning? Like...ever. We did not go from Warriors to Lightning back to Warriors.

Forget it, he's rolling.
FormulaX

Postby FormulaX » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:19 am

You had me at, Hater. Awesome post! You must be Kirk Cameron. Cuz, you are a funny guy! Thanks
FormulaX

Postby FriarJ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am

It's way too easy to hate on the SJU crowd, they invented basketball I think but in the last 20 years their record against one of the bottom dwellers of the BE (Providence College) SJU has a 11-20 mark. SMH
FriarJ

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 pm

How could we forget to include Buzz Williams? He said that the new conference couldn't recruit and wouldn't get noticed. Henry Ellenson says "HELLO".
GoldenWarrior11

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:How could we forget to include Buzz Williams? He said that the new conference couldn't recruit and wouldn't get noticed. Henry Ellenson says "HELLO".

Dancin' Buzz goes back to Morgantown on December 30th. That is going to be appointment television because those hillbillies might not let twinkletoes out of the building without strapping him to a couch and setting him on fire.

And while we're hating on coaches....Oliver Purnell. Holy crap. Oliver Purnell should teach a masters' class on con artistry. He has been an NCAA Division I head coach SINCE RONALD REAGAN WAS PRESIDENT and has ZERO victories in the NCAA Tournament, but somehow KEEPS GETTING WORK AT MORE AND MORE PRESTIGIOUS JOBS. Oliver Purnell is that asshole at your work who pretends to look busy, and gets promoted 3 or four times not because of any thing he did, but because other people left upper management and they had to fill the void.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Kirk, please don't stop. This is hilarious.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby robinreed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:31 pm

muskienick wrote:
robinreed wrote:
billyjack wrote:Funny stuff Kirk...
Low budget Abercrombie & Fitch...

I always thought it was interesting how TV or movie characters were portrayed in each city... growing up in RI and never crossing the state borders much except to go to Attleboro or Seekonk, these characters were the window to each city...

Working westward:

Queens NY (St John's) - Archie Bunker. Racist, bigoted. Average middle class neighborhood.

New Jersey (Seton Hall) - Tony Soprano. Mafia, glutton, womanizer, murderer.

Washington DC (Georgetown) - Frank Underwood. Crooked, deceitful politician.

Philadelphia (Villanova) - Fresh Prince. Nice kid, precocious. I don't watch "It's Always Sunny", but they seem like oddballs.

Cincinnati (Xavier) - Les Nessman. Serious, nice, geeky, uptight, milquetoast, dependable guy, who takes his job seriously.

Indianapolis (Butler) - Woody Harrelson on "Cheers"... nice, innocent, not too swift, naive farm kid.

Chicago (DePaul) - Bob Newhart. Dry-humored, cynical, great looking wife, nice apartment, Loyola grad.

Milwaukee (Marquette) - Richie Cunningham. Another precocious teen, All American kid.

Omaha (Creighton) - Penny on Big Bang Theory. Good looking, corn-fed, promiscuous All American girl.

Providence (PC) - No sitcom or character or anything was ever set here... maybe the Alec Baldwin father character in "Outside Providence" who wore a wife beater tshirt, drank too much, swore too much, he seemed like a Rhode Islander.... Ben Stiller's character in "Something About Mary" was funny but weird.... there was the Love Story character... the irritating girlfriend who got sick was from Cranston... also, there was a soap opera with Melina Kanakarides and BJ Honeycutt that was set here... maybe we can piggyback off the many Boston shows... say, Coach from "Cheers".

So, all i knew was that people from Queens were bigots, people from Indiana were dim farmboys, people from Cincinnati were milquetoasts (or voluptuous Loni Anderson types), Providence people were thought of as drinking, swearing types, etc...

:D :shock:

Billy Jack,
I have lived in Cincy all but 5 years of my life. I am still looking for Loni Anderson. Where are you Loni?

RR, who needs Loni Anderson??? We had Kathy Bates in town doing her lawyer show a couple of years ago and she's a lot more woman than Loni!

MN, There is more and then there is more pleasing. :lol:
robinreed

Postby muskienick » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 pm

muskienick wrote:
robinreed wrote:
billyjack wrote:Funny stuff Kirk...
Low budget Abercrombie & Fitch...

I always thought it was interesting how TV or movie characters were portrayed in each city... growing up in RI and never crossing the state borders much except to go to Attleboro or Seekonk, these characters were the window to each city...

Working westward:

Queens NY (St John's) - Archie Bunker. Racist, bigoted. Average middle class neighborhood.

New Jersey (Seton Hall) - Tony Soprano. Mafia, glutton, womanizer, murderer.

Washington DC (Georgetown) - Frank Underwood. Crooked, deceitful politician.

Philadelphia (Villanova) - Fresh Prince. Nice kid, precocious. I don't watch "It's Always Sunny", but they seem like oddballs.

Cincinnati (Xavier) - Les Nessman. Serious, nice, geeky, uptight, milquetoast, dependable guy, who takes his job seriously.

Indianapolis (Butler) - Woody Harrelson on "Cheers"... nice, innocent, not too swift, naive farm kid.

Chicago (DePaul) - Bob Newhart. Dry-humored, cynical, great looking wife, nice apartment, Loyola grad.

Milwaukee (Marquette) - Richie Cunningham. Another precocious teen, All American kid.

Omaha (Creighton) - Penny on Big Bang Theory. Good looking, corn-fed, promiscuous All American girl.

Providence (PC) - No sitcom or character or anything was ever set here... maybe the Alec Baldwin father character in "Outside Providence" who wore a wife beater tshirt, drank too much, swore too much, he seemed like a Rhode Islander.... Ben Stiller's character in "Something About Mary" was funny but weird.... there was the Love Story character... the irritating girlfriend who got sick was from Cranston... also, there was a soap opera with Melina Kanakarides and BJ Honeycutt that was set here... maybe we can piggyback off the many Boston shows... say, Coach from "Cheers".

So, all i knew was that people from Queens were bigots, people from Indiana were dim farmboys, people from Cincinnati were milquetoasts (or voluptuous Loni Anderson types), Providence people were thought of as drinking, swearing types, etc...

:D :shock:

RR, who needs Loni Anderson??? We had Kathy Bates in town doing her lawyer show a couple of years ago and she's a lot more woman than Loni!

MN, There is more and then there is more pleasing. :lol:

Well, heck, if we're going for "more pleasing," then I'll go with Scarlett Johansson who has probably said 'Cincinnati' a time or two during her life. I am now ruling that would qualify. (Just typing 'Scarlett Johansson' makes me go weak in the knees!)
muskienick

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

"Georgetown: One of the best commentaries I ever read on Georgetown just said "You know how UConn would give their left nut to get into the ACC, well that's nothing compared to what Georgetown would do if the Ivy League ever so much as winked at them." A university in a neighborhood that willfully insisted on not having a Metro stop in the area to keep out the...you know....undesirable element....that now moans about getting students to basketball games when the stadium sits on top of a Metro station is a tad ironic. "

Too bad absolutely none of that is true.

The Georgetown neighborhood blocking the metro is an urban legend that never actually happened and even if it had how would that be ironic? It's not like the university were the ones in the rumor who blocked the metro, it was the neighbors which the school has no control over. As for Georgetown in the Ivy league, while some on the academic side might bend over backwards, I think the school likes it's position and value athletics too much to do that. And of course the Ivy league would never expand so I don't think Georgetown is sitting around waiting for an invite the way Uconn is.
hoyahooligan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board