11/18 Tuesday's Big East Schedule

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 11/18 Tuesday's Big East Schedule

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
You can disagree. That's fine. I know what I saw the other day. I barely saw any of tonight's game, so I can't say about how he defended. I'm not gonna take your word for it, as you're the ultimate homer.

He's still not in the best shape.

Ok well if you saw tonight's game you'd disagree with you too. Is he in good shape in general: No. Is he in good enough shape to dominate a game: yes.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:51 pm

MUPanther wrote:Georgetown's attendance tonight was 4,887. Attendance are paid numbers. Are season-ticket numbers really that low?

I'm not sure attendance is always paid numbers ( That number looks like people through the turn styles, because I feel like we have more season ticket holders than that number and being at the game that seems pretty accurate to the amount of people there, but yeah it was a terrible attendance. 3rd lowest ever under JT3. I mean mid week game against a no name team in freezing weather will do that. Plus our attendance has been dropping steadily over the years due to lack of post season success. Once the team starts winning the fans will turn out.
hoyahooligan

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:43 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
You can disagree. That's fine. I know what I saw the other day. I barely saw any of tonight's game, so I can't say about how he defended. I'm not gonna take your word for it, as you're the ultimate homer.

He's still not in the best shape.

Ok well if you saw tonight's game you'd disagree with you too. Is he in good shape in general: No. Is he in good enough shape to dominate a game: yes.

Common sense would tell you, if he wasn't in good shape on Saturday, then he wasn't in good shape last night.

He's always been capable of being imposing, and having a good or dominate performance. So, his shape, or lack of, never really had any bearing on him dominating a game. His problem always have been conditioning and being able to log sufficient minutes.

Dominating against St. Francis of Brooklyn and Texas A&M-CC is different than dominating more formidable foes. As, I said, playing solidly was never quite a problem for him. Being or staying in shape has been the issue.
Red Rooster

Postby bman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:58 am

One positive I took out of Marquette was that the score was relatively close compared to how they played . When I was watching without paying attention to the score it looked like they were losing by 25. So in a way, a few less turnover on wide open breakaways, and a couple more shots made, then Marquette wins.
bman

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:38 am

Josh just has to play 20 minutes a game, as long as he can do that, he's in good enough shape for me. And he's shown through out his career he can do it against real competition, so not even concerned there. His weight or his in shapeness based on looks doesn't matter. He's able to stay on the court for over half the game easily. He seems in shape enough to consistently play 25 minutes a game which is huge. He only played 19 in the first game because it was a blow out, and admittedly his effort wasn't great, but last night he was all over the place grabbing rebounds and actually moving his feet on defense. It's not a matter of how in shape he is it's a matter of him being willing to put forth the effort.
hoyahooligan

Postby marquette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:22 am

bman wrote:One positive I took out of Marquette was that the score was relatively close compared to how they played . When I was watching without paying attention to the score it looked like they were losing by 25. So in a way, a few less turnover on wide open breakaways, and a couple more shots made, then Marquette wins.

Personal opinion, but if we have Luke Fischer I think we have a real shot of winning this game. Our interior defense was pretty bad, which lead to double teams, which led to open outside shooters. Get some height in there, even for 20-25 minutes/game, and I thin this is a whole different ballgame.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby notkirkcameron » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm

bman wrote:One positive I took out of Marquette was that the score was relatively close compared to how they played . When I was watching without paying attention to the score it looked like they were losing by 25. So in a way, a few less turnover on wide open breakaways, and a couple more shots made, then Marquette wins.

I tuned into the game looking between my fingers, last year's carnival of ineptitude in Milwaukee still fresh in my memory. Got off the phone with a friend right before tipoff saying "I just hope they beat the spread."

MU was 12 point dogs and lost by 11. Mission accomplished.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:18 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:Josh just has to play 20 minutes a game, as long as he can do that, he's in good enough shape for me. And he's shown through out his career he can do it against real competition, so not even concerned there. His weight or his in shapeness based on looks doesn't matter. He's able to stay on the court for over half the game easily. He seems in shape enough to consistently play 25 minutes a game which is huge. He only played 19 in the first game because it was a blow out, and admittedly his effort wasn't great, but last night he was all over the place grabbing rebounds and actually moving his feet on defense. It's not a matter of how in shape he is it's a matter of him being willing to put forth the effort.

As, usual, you don't make sense.

So, he's in good enough shape for you, huh? What does that even mean? I've read a few others, and even heard Kevin O'Neill, as of last night, state that he still needs work on his conditioning. Furthermore, my eyes also doesn't lie, and I'm confident in what I saw on Saturday. He needs to continue to work to get in shape.

He's shown throughout his career that he can play ball, but he's also shown that he can't stay or get into shape. He's always hovered near 20 minutes per game since he's been in college. So, how is he able to consistently play 25 minutes per game when he's never done so? I can understand Smith only playing 19 minutes because the coach deemed it a blowout, and wanted to see others play. But you're placing things in a vacuum, based on the first two games (when he's only averaging 22.5 minutes per game for the first two games) to believe he can play 25 minutes per outing.

He'll have to show some consistency on defense and on the boards (if the board doesn't fall in his lap, then most times he doesn't get or really go after a rebound) for me to believe it's what we're going to see from him throughout the season. Being in shape plays a role in the effort you'll consistently see from him. Once, he gets tired, then his game can suffer.

Once, the games get tougher, then you're gonna need more than 20 minutes out of him.
Red Rooster

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board