Expansion: UAB to reunite with Marquette and DePaul in NBE?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Expansion: UAB to reunite with Marquette and DePaul in N

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:06 pm

BEX wrote:We're going into the third year of a $500 million 12 yr. deal. Does anybody really think Fox is going to sign up teams for another 40-42 million each? Nooooooooooooooooo!

At the time this current iteration of the Big East was created, multiple media reports indicated that Fox was prepared to do exactly that if the league expanded to 12 teams.

I have no idea if Fox still feels that way, but it's certainly not unreasonable for fans to speculate, based on that original reporting. Furthermore, the Xavier AD spoke to the media in September, 2013 (just before the beginning of last season) and said that the Big East planned to expand some time within the next 5 years, further reinforcing the expectation of fans that this was in the works. We have just finished year 2 of that 5 year plan. I guess we'll find out over the next 3 years.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Pure speculation by X's AD. And I don't see Fox coughing up another 84 mill. Cya in 2025.
BEX

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:20 pm

BEX wrote:Pure speculation by X's AD. And I don't see Fox coughing up another 84 mill. Cya in 2025.

If it's for UCONN and Gonzaga, they probably would.
Jet915

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 pm

BEX wrote:Pure speculation by X's AD. And I don't see Fox coughing up another 84 mill. Cya in 2025.

No, it wasn't speculation. There is absolutely nothing in what he said to suggest that. He was new on the job and hasn't yet been trained in how to speak to the press. In a moment in which he let his guard down, he passed on information that he was supposed to keep to himself. Everything he said was completely consistent with what had been reported a year earlier when the league was formed.

The only thing we don't know is whether thinking at Fox or at the Big East has changed.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:

If it's for UCONN and Gonzaga, they probably would.

That's the point. If they believe that it will enhance their product and is a good investment, they'll do it.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board