Expansion: UAB to reunite with Marquette and DePaul in NBE?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Expansion: UAB to reunite with Marquette and DePaul in N

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:06 pm

R Jay wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:He's not a Dayton fan (they're private, he's hoping to add publics).

FWIW, I ward the BE because I'm hoping VCU gets added someday. There's no incentive to watch unless I have a connection. I'll watch Duke/UNC, Xavier/Cincy because of the differences in institutions - and they're relatively good in CBB. Watching Georgetown/Seton Hall may be interesting to those on here who grew up with the league, but to me there's no connection whatsoever (I grew up in DC, but in the late '90s, early 2000s).

Having like minded institutions are great for people who grew up in the league, or went to private catholic schools. To attract outsiders, or casual college basketballs fans (like myself - regardless of my VCU connection) you need the "us v. Them" games. I'm 26 and mostly missed the BE glory days, most other fans my age (not within the VCU sphere) could not name BE teams outside of: GU, Butler, Xavier, Nova, Marquette and maybe SJU. This generation is all about what you have done for me lately, so for us we could care less about the 80s and 90s.

Not here to ruffle feathers, and freely admit my fandom. Here to share an outsiders perspective. Carving out a niche in the market is good to establish a base, but it does make it hard to grow. I'm directly in FS1/ESPN's target audience, and most people I know are as well. Take it for what it's worth.

It's hard to take anyone at face value on here these days. After "Bloody Saturday," a lot of VCU/Dayton fans joined masquerading as fans of other BE teams.
I personally have no problem with other fans coming here to talk basketball, but other fans coming and talking expansion, particularly those under the guise of fans of BE teams or those who take shots at the current 10 really rub me the wrong way.
I'll go on record saying that I'm not anti-expansion, I expect us to go to 14 at some point, I just don't think it's necessary right now. I'd like to see us build the current 10 teams for at least 5 years and then add teams who will build our overall fanbase and public image and are within our current footprint.

I understand, if I was a current member I'd get annoyed. Don't think the BE will expand in the next couple of years anyways. It's a bit ridiculous for fans of prospective teams to register under different guises. I've been around since January 2014, and am a B1G fan as well.
Gopher+RamFan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R Jay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
R Jay wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:He's not a Dayton fan (they're private, he's hoping to add publics).

FWIW, I ward the BE because I'm hoping VCU gets added someday. There's no incentive to watch unless I have a connection. I'll watch Duke/UNC, Xavier/Cincy because of the differences in institutions - and they're relatively good in CBB. Watching Georgetown/Seton Hall may be interesting to those on here who grew up with the league, but to me there's no connection whatsoever (I grew up in DC, but in the late '90s, early 2000s).

Having like minded institutions are great for people who grew up in the league, or went to private catholic schools. To attract outsiders, or casual college basketballs fans (like myself - regardless of my VCU connection) you need the "us v. Them" games. I'm 26 and mostly missed the BE glory days, most other fans my age (not within the VCU sphere) could not name BE teams outside of: GU, Butler, Xavier, Nova, Marquette and maybe SJU. This generation is all about what you have done for me lately, so for us we could care less about the 80s and 90s.

Not here to ruffle feathers, and freely admit my fandom. Here to share an outsiders perspective. Carving out a niche in the market is good to establish a base, but it does make it hard to grow. I'm directly in FS1/ESPN's target audience, and most people I know are as well. Take it for what it's worth.

It's hard to take anyone at face value on here these days. After "Bloody Saturday," a lot of VCU/Dayton fans joined masquerading as fans of other BE teams.
I personally have no problem with other fans coming here to talk basketball, but other fans coming and talking expansion, particularly those under the guise of fans of BE teams or those who take shots at the current 10 really rub me the wrong way.
I'll go on record saying that I'm not anti-expansion, I expect us to go to 14 at some point, I just don't think it's necessary right now. I'd like to see us build the current 10 teams for at least 5 years and then add teams who will build our overall fanbase and public image and are within our current footprint.

I understand, if I was a current member I'd get annoyed. Don't think the BE will expand in the next couple of years anyways. It's a bit ridiculous for fans of prospective teams to register under different guises. I've been around since January 2014, and am a B1G fan as well.

There are plenty of fans who are respectful and positive contributors, like you.
Unfortunately the bad apples make us overly wary and at times aggressive towards new members we perceive as trolls.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Butlerfan28 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 pm

R Jay wrote:

Well apparently you didn't read what I wrote very closely.

Happy to provide my allegiances for you:
Pomona College: my Alma Mater
USC Football- Grew up with them (parent and grandparent)
Fresno State Football- Long Story
Butler Basketball - Daughter
Pacific Water Polo - Son.

Not a VCU or Dayton among them. I have grown to appreciate Wichita State for their blue collar grit and ability to make 3 sweet sixteens coming from the MVC and without the large private endowments many schools have.

I will also freely admit to schools I don't like:
Notre Dame (for obvious reasons)
California
Xavier
Creighton

But that's fine having teams you like and don't like is what college sports is about
Butlerfan28

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Can we change the name of this thread? It literally angers me every time I see it.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby BEX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 pm

We're going into the third year of a $500 million 12 yr. deal. Does anybody really think Fox is going to sign up teams for another 40-42 million each? Nooooooooooooooooo! People talk about this contract like it's negotiable every yr. It's not. Does anybody know what the deal will be worth at the end of the contract? Noooooooooooooooooooo! Will CBS, ESPN, FOX, NBC be interested in bidding on it. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss! ESPN will bid just to piss off FOX.

Dayton fans are OBSESSED with the BE snub. All they can talk about. Get over it. Try to win your conference once. Try to win your conference tournament once. Build a resume. Stop talking bad about the BE. We don't give a shit about the A-10. Be happy with your 6-7 200 rpi teams you play twice. If Butler, Temple and X were still there, you would finish 6th every year and never make the dance.
BEX

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:22 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Can we change the name of this thread? It literally angers me every time I see it.

+1
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:34 pm

BEX wrote:We're going into the third year of a $500 million 12 yr. deal. Does anybody really think Fox is going to sign up teams for another 40-42 million each? Nooooooooooooooooo! People talk about this contract like it's negotiable every yr. It's not. Does anybody know what the deal will be worth at the end of the contract? Noooooooooooooooooooo! Will CBS, ESPN, FOX, NBC be interested in bidding on it. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss! ESPN will bid just to piss off FOX.

Dayton fans are OBSESSED with the BE snub. All they can talk about. Get over it. Try to win your conference once. Try to win your conference tournament once. Build a resume. Stop talking bad about the BE. We don't give a shit about the A-10. Be happy with your 6-7 200 rpi teams you play twice. If Butler, Temple and X were still there, you would finish 6th every year and never make the dance.

2 things-
1- resumes are built on a much larger scale based on the NCAA tourney, not what you do in conference play. People act like this isn't the case- but it's reality. Look at Butler/Xavier compared to Creighton. Creighton had a much better conference resume in the MVC compared to Butler or Xavier. But Xavier and especially Butler performed in the NCAA tourney. Xavier won the auto bid from the A10 only 3 times. Creighton won the MVC auto bid 7 times. But who has the better resume pre-big east? Xavier, and it's not even remotely close.
2- Dayton doesn't play 6-7 200 rpi teams twice. First off- they only had 4 200 rpi teams. 2nd, they only played George Mason 1 time.

I think if the Big East presented the right teams to Fox, yes they would pay. Those teams probably would be VCU and UConn. That's it.
stever20

Postby marquette » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:48 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:Can we change the name of this thread? It literally angers me every time I see it.

+1

+2
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Re: Yet Another Expansion Thread

Postby Doge McDermott » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Butlerfan28 wrote:I have close personal associates who play for Butler but when they leave I suspect my interest in the league will wane. Largely because I lack affinity with the league. I'm not Catholic and while I don't like the elitism of the P5 the Big East is just as elitist in a different way as seen by this board. Now would watching a Wichita State battle an uber-elite Creighton or watching VCU battle an uber-elite Georgetown peak my interest. Sure it would. Now you capture within you league both the Catholic side and the anti-Catholic side who tired of watching Catholic prep schools crush the public schools with recruited rosters.

I trust you were an avid watcher of Arch Madness. Because what you described happened at least twice, sometimes three times per season. It didn't translate into any sort of TV deal for the MVC. Hell, even when the MVC championship Creighton vs. WCC game was on CBS, it was switched over to a regular season B10 game. Put another way, your dream matchup, even when an autobid was on the line, didn't matter to the network executives.
Doge McDermott

Postby mel ott » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:04 pm

marquette wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

+1

+2

+3 hello?? is it that hard to change the thread name? or just delete the thread.. It should have died long ago.
mel ott

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board