11/16 Games: Mercer v Seton Hall - Chicago St v Creighton...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 11/16 Games: Mercer v Seton Hall - Chicago St v Creighto

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 pm

What a lethargic ass half so far by CU. Wide open looks we suddenly can't hit and shoddy ball handling.
handdownmandown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Chicago St is one of the worst D1 teams. I'm really interested to see Creighton vs. Oklahoma on Wednesday.
hoyahooligan

Postby R Jay » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:Chicago St is one of the worst D1 teams. I'm really interested to see Creighton vs. Oklahoma on Wednesday.

We didn't play well at all against their press and their trap. There were a ton of bad turnovers and plenty of missed shots. Add to that Austin Chatman, Devin Brooks, and Ricky Kreklow struggled with foul trouble. We still put up 84 points despite that.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby chicagojayfan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 pm

R Jay wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:Chicago St is one of the worst D1 teams. I'm really interested to see Creighton vs. Oklahoma on Wednesday.

We didn't play well at all against their press and their trap. Their were a ton of bad turnovers and plenty of missed shots. Add to that Austin Chatman, Devin Brooks, and Ricky Kreklow struggled with foul trouble. We still put up 84 points despite that.

Was good for this team to work through some runs by CSU and to have to go up against their press with Chatman and Zierden in foul trouble. Obviously too many turnovers and a cold stretch partly caused by people pulling the trigger too quickly from outside. But, 84 pts and a 1.07 Points per possession on an off night is a good result overall.

This team will continue to gel as the season goes on and as people learn new roles, but I'm optimistic at this point. For stretches I've seen excellent ball movement and even some excellent defense. When the shots are falling (and they will quite often), people aren't going to like facing this team. Oklahoma will give us a good assessment on where they are at right now.
chicagojayfan

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Glad Creighton got the win, but not feeling very good about their chances on Wednesday against Nebraska
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby handdownmandown » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 pm

We are better than that and at home. They will be favored but probably by less than five. And it's Oklahoma.
handdownmandown

Postby FlyJays » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Well, they surely aren't a great team, but the statement above isn't true. A few years ago they were perhaps the worst team in the country, but they aren't now. They had 13 wins last year I believe, and they'll exceed that this year. With that said, Creighton played like garbage and still won by 20. If we shoot even slightly better and don't turn the rock over so many freaking times, that game isn't even remotely close at halftime. For a game against a no-name team, on one day's rest, and just before our biggest non-con game of the year, I'll take it. I expect a better performance on Wednesday. Not saying we win that game, but I think we keep it pretty tight against a dangerous Oklahoma team. I was encouraged by Artino putting up 20 and 8; and also impressed by Hegner. 17 and 7 in just his 2nd game in a Jays uniform. He's gonna be a good one.
FlyJays

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:36 am

FlyJays wrote:

Well, they surely aren't a great team, but the statement above isn't true. A few years ago they were perhaps the worst team in the country, but they aren't now. They had 13 wins last year I believe, and they'll exceed that this year. With that said, Creighton played like garbage and still won by 20. If we shoot even slightly better and don't turn the rock over so many freaking times, that game isn't even remotely close at halftime. For a game against a no-name team, on one day's rest, and just before our biggest non-con game of the year, I'll take it. I expect a better performance on Wednesday. Not saying we win that game, but I think we keep it pretty tight against a dangerous Oklahoma team. I was encouraged by Artino putting up 20 and 8; and also impressed by Hegner. 17 and 7 in just his 2nd game in a Jays uniform. He's gonna be a good one.

Kenpom has them Rated 320th.
Central Arkansas is 342nd. Seeing as there are 351 D1 schools yes I think they both qualify as "one of the worst D1 teams" Any team between 300-351 is horrendous.
So I'm taking Creighton to date with a grain of salt until I see them against a good team which we will on Wednesday.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:17 am

I'm just ready for some of the main course games that start this week...
Tue Marquette @ Ohio St- even a bit of Long Beach St @ Xavier(Long Beach lost to BYU by 5 on Friday)
Wed Oklahoma @ Creighton
Fri SF Austin @ Xavier(SF Austin was the team that beat VCU last year in the tourney)
Sat Florida St vs Providence
Sun Notre Dame vs Providence (also possibly Clemson vs Seton Hall in Paradise Jam)
Mon Villanova vs VCU (also possibly LSU vs Seton Hall in Paradise Jam)

Looking at Ken Pom of the games already scheduled- Marquette only 14% chance of winning, Creighton, Villanova both 55% chance of winning their games, Providence actually underdogs in both games(44,49% chance of winning respectively). Xavier 78/74% chance of winning their games...

Think a huge game also is Friday night- the Seton Hall/Nevada game. Huge for the Hall in that if they lose- they won't get the SOS enhancing games with Clemson and LSU later in the tournament.
stever20

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:21 am

Our vanquished foe, Maine, is #343. But hey, you play who you play. No apologies. Next up.......
HoosierPal

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board