McCormick Place Events Center (future DePaul Arena)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: McCormick Place Events Center (future DePaul Arena)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Hopefully Leitao can capitalize on the excitement with an uptick in recruiting...
Jet915

Postby MUBoxer » Wed May 18, 2016 9:24 am

Saying the South Loop will become like Wrigley is just absurd especially for the near future. I've lived in Chicago or Oak Park for 20 of my 25 years and in that time Logan Square and a small piece of east Humboldt are the only areas that have truly changed, and that was because of Wicker Park. Gentrification is going west along the Blue line not South. Expecting a basketball arena to make that spot like Wrigleville is painting a rosy picture that won't happen. Unless the Hilliard Homes are torn down (the last of the projects) the South Loop doesn't stand a chance.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 am

MUBoxer wrote:Saying the South Loop will become like Wrigley is just absurd especially for the near future. I've lived in Chicago or Oak Park for 20 of my 25 years and in that time Logan Square and a small piece of east Humboldt are the only areas that have truly changed, and that was because of Wicker Park. Gentrification is going west along the Blue line not South. Expecting a basketball arena to make that spot like Wrigleville is painting a rosy picture that won't happen. Unless the Hilliard Homes are torn down (the last of the projects) the South Loop doesn't stand a chance.

Someone hasn't been to Pilsen in a long time. Or taken a boat to Chinatown. Or looked at condo prices in South Loop.

I'm still not convinced it's the magic bullet to save DePaul, but it's gotta be better than the Rosemont Horizon.
Doge McDermott

Postby DemonLS » Wed May 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Shocking....a Marquette fan ripping DePaul!

This area is expected to be a big entertainment district....not just the stadium.
DemonLS

Postby MUBoxer » Wed May 18, 2016 10:33 pm

DemonLS wrote:Shocking....a Marquette fan ripping DePaul!

This area is expected to be a big entertainment district....not just the stadium.

Not ripping Depaul just a foolish vision.

Doge McDermott wrote:
Someone hasn't been to Pilsen in a long time. Or taken a boat to Chinatown. Or looked at condo prices in South Loop.

I'm still not convinced it's the magic bullet to save DePaul, but it's gotta be better than the Rosemont Horizon.

I actually have recently, just stopped at Pollo Express (if you're around Chicago try it best grilled chicken you'll get). Pilsen may have gotten a better but it's not exactly a massive change, it's still heavily mexican and not a ton of new construction plus it was never as dangerous as Logan or Humboldt.

You're right I never go near Chinatown or look at Condo prices. But as a person who fits into the demographic a young, post college, 20 something that frequents bars and sporting events way more than he should I would bet almost anything that area will never become Wrigleyville 2.0. It may get better, but it'll skip the part where it's affordable to people who'd actually go to exciting bars to make it like wrigleyville and instead be for wealthy people who enjoy the city and don't want the gold coast or for the far suburban commuters buying a condo to frequent with their city mistress.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MUPanther » Thu May 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby billyjack » Fri May 20, 2016 6:55 am

MUPanther wrote:http://depauliaonline.com/2016/05/15/depaul-arena-student-section/

Interesting article. Discusses how AD Lenti Ponsetto supports placing the student section in the upper deck behind the basket (in my opinion a bad idea), rather than putting them in floor seats. Quotes her as expecting a significant uptick in attendance (in my opinion, really over-optimistic thinking) to see the shiny new building. Regarding a concourse area dedicated to the students... couldnt this also be done on the first level if they had floor seats? Generally, she seems to always be out of touch, or at best a bad liar.

Lenti-Ponsetto: “The idea was really to create an atmosphere that would give students a good vantage point and at the same time, if they wanted to stand an entire game, they would be in their own community,” DePaul athletic director Jean Lenti Ponsetto said. “We really wanted to provide them with a concourse area so that there were pregame events, pizza parties, or whatever, you know, students would like for us to do.”

Comment from a DePaul Fan: "This quote paints the perfect picture of how out of touch Ponsetto is with college sports, the student body and college in general. These seats are in the upper deck behind the basket, worst seats in the house. College students aren't interested in having pregame pizza parties. These are 18-22 year olds we're talking about, not 9 year olds going to a birthday party. College kids would much rather go to a bar before the game and sit close to the court than be alienated in the nose bleeds in exchange for a few free events. Call this what it is Jeannie. You would rather sell these seats at a premium price than offer them to the students who are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend this university. Shame on you. It's beyond me how DePaul puts up with your incredible incompetence year after year."
Providence
billyjack

Postby Doge McDermott » Mon May 23, 2016 11:20 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Doge McDermott wrote:

I actually have recently, just stopped at Pollo Express (if you're around Chicago try it best grilled chicken you'll get). Pilsen may have gotten a better but it's not exactly a massive change, it's still heavily mexican and not a ton of new construction plus it was never as dangerous as Logan or Humboldt.

You're right I never go near Chinatown or look at Condo prices. But as a person who fits into the demographic a young, post college, 20 something that frequents bars and sporting events way more than he should I would bet almost anything that area will never become Wrigleyville 2.0. It may get better, but it'll skip the part where it's affordable to people who'd actually go to exciting bars to make it like wrigleyville and instead be for wealthy people who enjoy the city and don't want the gold coast or for the far suburban commuters buying a condo to frequent with their city mistress.

Pollo Express is legit. Best chicken in Chicago and cheap as hell. A true hidden gem. I just wish they'd deliver to the Loop when I'm working late. I disagree that isn't a massive change; I believe Pilsen is the front line of gentrification.

Wrigleyville sucks. It's where you move to from your parents house when you're just out of a B10 college and got your first marketing job. I was in a different city when that type of nightlife would appeal to me, but dealing with the Trixies and Chads of LP now is the absolute worst. I kind of hope that Bronzeville/Area around DePaul's new area doesn't become that. Keep the awesome restaurant scene that Pilsen, Chinatown and Little Village have, without the gimmicky d-bag bars.

MUPanther wrote:http://depauliaonline.com/2016/05/15/depaul-arena-student-section/

That's literally the worst idea that any AD has ever had in the entire history of college sports. When was the last time she actually went to a game at the Rosemont Horizon? I could count on my hands how many students attended that weren't in the band or cheerleaders. Remember that time the team had to reverse storm the student section? That's not cute, that's embarrassing. Try selling more than 2 "luxury" suites before you bump the students to shitty nosebleed seats. The students want to be in the action and on TV, not quietly watch from up on high.

Who does she have blackmail on? How does she still have a job?
Doge McDermott

Postby Jet915 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:23 am

She's an idiot....
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board