Creighton vs. Sioux Falls exhibition

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:13 am

Creighton 91, Sioux Falls 72

Hit 14 out of 31 on 3s, so that looked the same. Crowd of 16,300 with no giveaways.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Creighton vs. Sioux Falls exhibition

Postby Amase2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Creighton 91, Sioux Falls 72

Hit 14 out of 31 on 3s, so that looked the same. Crowd of 16,300 with no giveaways.

Jesus, what a fan base.
Amase2

Postby XU85 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:28 am

Amase2 wrote:

Jesus, what a fan base.

That's why even in a "down" year good teams will lose at Creighton. 14 out of 31 from 3? Who hit was hot? Did Wragge and Dougie come back?
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:03 am

XU85 wrote:
Amase2 wrote:

Jesus, what a fan base.

That's why even in a "down" year good teams will lose at Creighton. 14 out of 31 from 3? Who hit was hot? Did Wragge and Dougie come back?

Devin Brooks and some of the new guys shot well, but in over long term the Big East will learn about Toby Henger. 6'10" redhsirt freshman who really impressed me with his shot. Jays might be less than NCAA level this year, but future looks very good.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Gibbsyonemoreyear! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:13 am

A lot of players chipped in with threes last night including Hegner, Zierdan, Miliken Brooks, and Chatman. Yes Brooks had a good shooting night from range and if that becomes a consistent part of his game the Jays are looking really good. Creighton had some very nice guard play overall which makes me believe they will be able to compete with anybody in the league at the 1-3 spots. The question will be the post. Hegner can stretch it at the 4 but is still lacking in strength to be very effective at this point. Artino did some good things and then had to leave the game after a possible broken nose (not sure what exactly happened there). Groselle came in and banged but he's not very graceful or particularly offensively skilled (although he had a sweet interior pass for a layup. Plus the defense was just "alright" from my perspective. Overall I'm quite optimistic after seeing them here and can't wait till next Friday to start things off for real. I can't wait to watch all the Big East teams actually, I'll be rooting for everyone to do well in the non-con.
You ever been to Lampasas, Texas?
Gibbsyonemoreyear!

Postby handdownmandown » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:15 am

Six guys hit 3s. However, there were four notable standouts on O: Chatman had 18 and looked for his shot more than last year (2-5 from 3); Brooks, who has reportedly spent a ton of time in the gym retooling his game to match the Creighton structure, had 18 (3-5 from 3), 8 rebounds, and 4 assists. Toby Hegner, Doug's 6'10" replacement at the 4, was 3-7 from 3 (he's more Pittsnogle than McBuckets gamewise) and James Milliken, a junior juco transfer who redshirted last year, was 3-4 from 3 and had 11 in 15 minutes.

Very promising on O, a real mixed bag on D. They had a really talented guard who got hot and went for 30. Our rebounding was spotty at times, and I got the feeling that some of the time guys were trying to concentrate on where they should be and what they should be doing rather than just reacting, but that's probably par for the course at this point. At least we have two games to tune up before we play Oklahoma.

Dingman sprained his ankle earlier this week and is out until Thanksgiving, and it looks as if Artino might have broken his nose last night, no report in on the diagnosis yet.
handdownmandown

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:19 am

to add (think this got cut off):

The half-full glass: If Brooks continues to cut turnovers and hit a decent % on 3s, he's an all-BE caliber player. Those are big ifs. For those who don't remember him from last year, he's the "whoa, he plays for Creighton?" guy one minute, throw the ball into the stands and get taken out the next. Also, Chatman has stepped up his game, and the new guys, Hegner and James Millikan are bigtime shooters. (And we're going to have big crowds, because we're awesome fans.)

The half-empty glass: The inside game was weak last night against an outmatched opponent. Trouble posting up, guards had trouble getting them the ball, weak rebounding. (And we're going to have big crowds, because there's nothing else to do in Omaha.)
Wizard of Westroads

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:36 am

Sounds like the offense is ahead of where outsiders were expecting, but that the defense is behind where Creighton fans were expecting.
hoyahooligan

Postby R Jay » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:43 am

hoyahooligan wrote:Sounds like the offense is ahead of where outsiders were expecting, but that the defense is behind where Creighton fans were expecting.

I think that is a fair statement, though if Dingman, our best defender, had been playing, I doubt Charles Ward scores 30 points.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Gibbsyonemoreyear! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 am

I wonder why that Ward doesn't play D1? He looks like he could be really good in the Valley. Of course that was just one night.
You ever been to Lampasas, Texas?
Gibbsyonemoreyear!

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board