10 Questions for the BE in 2014

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 10 Questions for the BE in 2014

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:30 pm

stever20 wrote:I do understand content is king. That's my biggest position...

what does Fox have in sports content?
Pac 12/Big 12 football(probably the #4 and #5 conferences in college football)
Pac 12/Big East Basketball
MLB(probably the #3 sport)
MLS/World Cup/UEFA(growing sport in US)
USGA events
NASCAR

Really the ONLY thing they could add to it is the Big Ten over the next 5-6 years.

After that properties come up for bidding, but you get into do the prior rights holders re-up before Fox ever gets a chance to bid. I don't think Fox 10 years from now can survive with just what they have now. And the problem is that ESPN knows this and can take some short term losses to keep Fox out of the game which long term benefits them big time. Guess it's called a Monopoly.

And yes, I do think Fox execs were truly expecting to have at least a chance to bid on the NBA and probably in their plan when they were founding the network that was a major part of their plan. And it would be very surprising for them to see it not even get to where they could put a bid in.

I really do hope Fox can make it because ESPN has become too much of a monopoly. The issue is Fox picked absolutely the worst time to get into sports. Remember months ago someone suggested Fox/Turner merge. That would be great and would be a huge competitor for ESPN. Short of that, I don't see how things change too much next 5 years.

SEC and B10 are probably 1 and 2 but this assumes you're putting ACC #3 which can't be the case. I don't follow football, but it seems to me: SEC>B10>P12>B12>ACC
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
stever20 wrote:I do understand content is king. That's my biggest position...

what does Fox have in sports content?
Pac 12/Big 12 football(probably the #4 and #5 conferences in college football)
Pac 12/Big East Basketball
MLB(probably the #3 sport)
MLS/World Cup/UEFA(growing sport in US)
USGA events
NASCAR

Really the ONLY thing they could add to it is the Big Ten over the next 5-6 years.

After that properties come up for bidding, but you get into do the prior rights holders re-up before Fox ever gets a chance to bid. I don't think Fox 10 years from now can survive with just what they have now. And the problem is that ESPN knows this and can take some short term losses to keep Fox out of the game which long term benefits them big time. Guess it's called a Monopoly.

And yes, I do think Fox execs were truly expecting to have at least a chance to bid on the NBA and probably in their plan when they were founding the network that was a major part of their plan. And it would be very surprising for them to see it not even get to where they could put a bid in.

I really do hope Fox can make it because ESPN has become too much of a monopoly. The issue is Fox picked absolutely the worst time to get into sports. Remember months ago someone suggested Fox/Turner merge. That would be great and would be a huge competitor for ESPN. Short of that, I don't see how things change too much next 5 years.

SEC and B10 are probably 1 and 2 but this assumes you're putting ACC #3 which can't be the case. I don't follow football, but it seems to me: SEC>B10>P12>B12>ACC

Well, ACC has Florida St which always gets good ratings. Also having Notre Dame for 2-3 road games helps them out a lot. Big 12 just not enough coverage, and Pac 12 has the geographical difference. I'm not saying quality but rather for TV purposes.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Just saw this:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/golf-an ... racts.html

is there a guy that Fox could get on golf that would fit better with their type of coverage than him? Always liked him a lot. Though not really expecting CBS to allow him to get to that point quite frankly.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

It's funny- I said this on the other board back in September:
Think this year will be interesting. We have to have on the floor a better year than last year, or the Big East is going to have to start making some hard decisions. Especially if the AAC and A10 have good years. If 3-4 years in, it's still a debate about which league is doing better- that's not good at all.

I think this year has been so huge where before the season there were some huge questions about the Big East- now all of those with the exception of Fox have been answered affirmatively. There is no debate about which league is better(something we couldn't say last season at all).
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board