Syracuse facing possible huge penalties

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Looks like it's possible the 2012 Big East title could be vacated (should be given to runner up if you ask me :P)

Also possible that the 2013 Final Four could be vacated (in which case I think it should just also be awarded to the person they beat to get there)

But seriously this would be a huge blow to the ACC to lose Cuse being a super power.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Syracuse facing possible huge penalties

Postby SJHooper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes but don't get too excited. Look at Penn State. One of the biggest most vile cases involving college sports got breezed over. PSU is now back to normal. Schools like Cuse, UK, Duke, Penn State, etc. don't have to play by the rules. They will squeal out of it somehow just like these schools always do. The only thing that can lead to lasting change is if this gives Boeheim so many headaches that he decides to retire. Then maybe the Cuse program takes a step back for a while. I would love to see Cuse hire a terrible coach who can't recruit but I think Cuse is too well known and prestigious to fall off. It's an easy sell for any coach.
SJHooper

Postby R to the OB » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm

If vacating wins is all the NCAA will do, then that's nothing. Not even a slap on the wrist. If they place more severe sanctions on them (scholarship limits, postseason bans, large fines), we could see a few down years from the 'Cuse, but I wouldn't expect it to last very long.
R to the OB

Postby Vill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Haven't seen the report. What's the story?
Vill

Postby Vill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Good. If Boeheim was involved in any way I hope they hammer Cuse.
Vill

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 am

MUBoxer wrote:Looks like it's possible the 2012 Big East title could be vacated (should be given to runner up if you ask me :P)

Also possible that the 2013 Final Four could be vacated (in which case I think it should just also be awarded to the person they beat to get there)

But seriously this would be a huge blow to the ACC to lose Cuse being a super power.

Louisville won the Big East Championship in 2012. The last championship won by Cuse was 2006 and I doubt these allegations go back that far...but one can hope.
redmen9194

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:29 am

redmen9194 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Looks like it's possible the 2012 Big East title could be vacated (should be given to runner up if you ask me :P)

Louisville won the Big East Championship in 2012. The last championship won by Cuse was 2006 and I doubt these allegations go back that far...but one can hope.

I was talking about the regular season championship ace. Come on I'll teach you how to use logical reasoning why would a marquette fan (MU was 2nd in 2012) say "should be given to the runner up" not that hard to figure out.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:47 pm

It's not "ace", but the league champion would be the tourney champion. I never give Cuse more credit than they deserve. :D
redmen9194

Postby billyjack » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Meanwhile at UNC...

http://deadspin.com/unc-investigation-r ... 1649405561

The report says academic fraud started at least as far back as 1992...!

So, UNC has 3 championships since then, right...?
1993, 2005, 2009... should all be vacated...
including Final Fours in 5 other years...

At least 8 asterisks for the Tarheels.

Among a countless amount of examples in the full report, just recently released:
"For each of these classes, Nyang’oro graded the papers, but did so with an eye to boosting student GPAs, regardless of paper quality. Prior to deciding on the grades in each of these classes, Nyang’oro asked Crowder’s successor, Travis Gore (“Gore”), to look up each student’s GPA. This information, along with the occasional request from an academic counselor for leniency with a particular student-athlete who needed a GPA boost, informed Nyang’oro’s grading and allowed him to make sure that any grade he assigned would not lead to academic ineligibility for any students or student-athletes."
Providence
billyjack

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board