Will B12 additions free UCONN to join Big East?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Will B12 additions free UCONN to join Big East?

Postby robinreed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:08 pm

I agree with HoosierPal that Tulsa was chosen for football not basketball but this shows a weakness in the AAC. There are only a few schools in the AAC which can compete in basketball and football. Uconn, Cincy, UCF, Memphis, Temple and perhaps SMU are the only schools which are good in basketball whereas Cincy, UCF, USF, ECU, Houston and very occasionally Temple and Memphis are the only football schools which have demonstrated any quality in football. Navy will add to the football schools whenever they join (2016?). This means schools like Tulane and Tulsa might be considered filler. The AAC is a league with some limited promise but more in the way of shortcoming.

One thing that is evident is that at least 6 of the schools are trying to get out for a variety of reasons most especially that the funds which the TV contract provides are insufficient to maintain both a major football and basketball program.

No one knows what the future holds in the increasingly absurd world of college sports however it is clear that a basketball centric league has limitations but also a far greater degree of stability (if a lesser potential for growth) than a league like the AAC or for that matter the ACC. I continue to assert that Uconn would be a wonderful addition to the BE despite my recognition that many here disagree and seemingly blame Uconn for a variety of invented crimes against the C7.

In any case the flurry of information and rumors on B12 expansion have once again died down. They seem to regenerate every 3 to 5 months and then sink into a mist of fog, confusion and uncertainty.

Perhaps it would be better for the admin to close this thread until the next tsunami of rumor and misdirection reappears. Eventually some of the rumors will prove correct and some will enter the land of the surreal.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gosports1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 pm

robinreed wrote:I agree with HoosierPal that Tulsa was chosen for football not basketball but this shows a weakness in the AAC. There are only a few schools in the AAC which can compete in basketball and football. Uconn, Cincy, UCF, Memphis, Temple and perhaps SMU are the only schools which are good in basketball whereas Cincy, UCF, USF, ECU, Houston and very occasionally Temple and Memphis are the only football schools which have demonstrated any quality in football. Navy will add to the football schools whenever they join (2016?). This means schools like Tulane and Tulsa might be considered filler. The AAC is a league with some limited promise but more in the way of shortcoming.

One thing that is evident is that at least 6 of the schools are trying to get out for a variety of reasons most especially that the funds which the TV contract provides are insufficient to maintain both a major football and basketball program.

No one knows what the future holds in the increasingly absurd world of college sports however it is clear that a basketball centric league has limitations but also a far greater degree of stability (if a lesser potential for growth) than a league like the AAC or for that matter the ACC. I continue to assert that Uconn would be a wonderful addition to the BE despite my recognition that many here disagree and seemingly blame Uconn for a variety of invented crimes against the C7.

In any case the flurry of information and rumors on B12 expansion have once again died down. They seem to regenerate every 3 to 5 months and then sink into a mist of fog, confusion and uncertainty.

Perhaps it would be better for the admin to close this thread until the next tsunami of rumor and misdirection reappears. Eventually some of the rumors will prove correct and some will enter the land of the surreal.

im curious how you formed the opinion that UConn is blamed for "invented" crimes against the C7? i dont recall anyone blaming UConn for anything
gosports1

Postby robinreed » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 pm

redmen 1415
robinreed

Postby Boyee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:11 am

East Carolina would only have Virginia separating it from West Virginia, but Central Florida and South Florida are basically isolated from the rest of the Big 12 like West Virginia. Connecticut has excellent basketball, but their football is horrible not to mention in New England so the only conference that fits regionally for UConn is the ACC, which already has 7 former Big East members out of 15. Cincinnati as a bridge between West Virginia and the rest of the Big 12, Louisville impossible due the them being in the ACC, Brigham Young, and Memphis are the only 4 logical expansion choices. Memphis has good basketball. Only 4 original Big East schools still remain in The American: Cincinnati, Connecticut, South Florida, and Temple. The best candidates for the Big 12 before the ACC replaced Maryland with Louisville were Cincinnati and Louisville. Also I cannot picture Texas and Oklahoma wanting to add for schools from The American.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby gosports1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:46 am

robinreed wrote:redmen 1415

oh...him. :lol:
gosports1

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board