Holy Land fan poll - who wins the Big East this year?

The home for Big East hoops

Who WINS the Big East this year?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:13 am

Villanova
80%
Xavier
20%

Total votes : 45

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:13 am

We are down to the final 2 - Villanova and Xavier. Vote for the team you think will win the Big East this season.

10 - DePaul
9 - Butler
8 - Creighton
7 - Marquette
6 - Seton Hall
5 - St. John's
4 - Providence
3 - Georgetown
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Holy Land fan poll - who wins the Big East this year?

Postby muskienick » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 am

I selected Villanova even though I've been a Xavier fan since the 50's. While I believe XU has the talent to win the League, there are too many question marks to vault the Muskies over the Wildcats. VU has "been there; done that." Xavier has 6 key players who have never played a D-1 basketball game and 7 who have never played a D-1 game as part of this program. Furthermore, it will be interesting to see if XU can become the team-oriented squad like they were the years they went to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 or if they play in search of another go-to guy like Semaj to bail them out. If it is the former --- then XU has a great chance to finish 1st in regular season Conference play. But if it's "rely on Abell" or "rely on Bluiett" all the time, then the Muskies could be in trouble.
muskienick

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:48 am

It's Villanovas title to lose. They are the reigning champ and haven't lost a ton of talent and have the best coach in the league. If they don't repeat it will be a shocker.
NJRedman

Postby BEX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm

muskienick wrote:I selected Villanova even though I've been a Xavier fan since the 50's. While I believe XU has the talent to win the League, there are too many question marks to vault the Muskies over the Wildcats. VU has "been there; done that." Xavier has 6 key players who have never played a D-1 basketball game and 7 who have never played a D-1 game as part of this program. Furthermore, it will be interesting to see if XU can become the team-oriented squad like they were the years they went to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 or if they play in search of another go-to guy like Semaj to bail them out. If it is the former --- then XU has a great chance to finish 1st in regular season Conference play. But if it's "rely on Abell" or "rely on Bluiett" all the time, then the Muskies could be in trouble.

I was thinking along the same lines, but with the focus on Jalen Reynolds. His play will be just huge for X this year, and if he has the breakout year we hope for, X could contend for the League title. Lot of if's, but X does have the depth, altho inexperienced. However, Nova gets my vote too. great coach and lots of talented, experienced players.
BEX

Postby Xudash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:08 pm

I went all in Homer! Go X!

It is Villanova's to lose.

Nick, because of the make up of this team, the fact that there is no one star designated coming into the season, and given the depth, I believe, refreshingly, that we will once again witness team oriented basketball from the Musketeers.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Professor_Bulldog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Maybe a part of my heart is still in cincy, or maybe blood flow to my brain is hampered by eating their nasty chili, but I voted X.

Not so much because I think X will win, but I think Nova is in for more of a fight (from several teams) than others seem to think.
Butler '13
Professor_Bulldog

Postby movemento » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

If you're not a Xavier fan I'd be interested in how anyone would justify their vote for XU.
movemento

Postby X-man » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:54 pm

movemento wrote:If you're not a Xavier fan I'd be interested in how anyone would justify their vote for XU.

I am Xavier fan, and my vote is Villanova. But I like my Muskies coming in second.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:29 pm

X-man wrote:
movemento wrote:If you're not a Xavier fan I'd be interested in how anyone would justify their vote for XU.

I am Xavier fan, and my vote is Villanova. But I like my Muskies coming in second.

I agree, I think X is in good position to finish second in the conference and make another trip to the dance. Though they might not be in sole possession of second place, they might have to share it with a team they shared third place with last season. :twisted:
NJRedman

Postby FormulaX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:10 pm

X-man wrote:

+1
This Xavier team has more legitimate 3pt threats than I can ever remember. But, 4 of them are freshman.
FormulaX

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board