Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby CityFriar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm

classof29 wrote:
CityFriar wrote: The Irish are out right now.

Not what I am hearing. What is your source?

Someone close to Fr. Shanley
Providence College Friars
CityFriar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CityFriar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

I was told butler, Xavier and Creighton for next year. St. Louis and Dayton the following year. And we have the Big East name. I know that info is being reported everywhere now so it's nothing new, but no room for the Irish at the inn (at least in the first 12 teams).
CityFriar

Postby classof29 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 pm

CityFriar wrote:I was told butler, Xavier and Creighton for next year. St. Louis and Dayton the following year. And we have the Big East name. I know that info is being reported everywhere now so it's nothing new, but no room for the Irish at the inn (at least in the first 12 teams).

I had original only heard X and Butler from inside the PC athletic department...never confirmed Creighton. I will check tomorrow (to late for tonight) - but ND was always a possibility from what I understood.

Personal opinion is I am happy either way.
Providence College
classof29

Postby CityFriar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 pm

classof29 wrote:
CityFriar wrote:I was told butler, Xavier and Creighton for next year. St. Louis and Dayton the following year. And we have the Big East name. I know that info is being reported everywhere now so it's nothing new, but no room for the Irish at the inn (at least in the first 12 teams).

I had original only heard X and Butler from inside the PC athletic department...never confirmed Creighton. I will check tomorrow (to late for tonight) - but ND was always a possibility from what I understood.

Personal opinion is I am happy either way.

I guess we will see. My guy seemed sure about Creighton and he is on campus and close to Shanley. But it doesn't mean things couldn't change.

Regarding Notre Dame, personally I think they would be a perfect fit with this league, especially with the expanded Midwest footprint. But I also can understand where the C7 only want to move forward with schools who are fully committed to this league. that is how we almost wound up in a league with Tulane. The thing of it is - I am sure ND would mean a lot of $$$ to fox, so between that and the inevitable implosion of the ACC, I would not rule it out somewhere down the line. But the bad blood is real.
CityFriar

Postby DeltaV » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 am

I agree that inviting a team for only one year is odd, and I would normally be opposed to it...but to normal, non CBB following viewers ND would mean instant name recognition and respect. Fox may be willing to pay a premium for that, especially being a start up network, and if that money could be used to pay for the X and B buyouts, it may be worth it.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby tman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 am

I don't get it.
No matter how much ND craps on you folks you're still willing to welcome them back with open arms.
tman

Postby Noonzy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 am

Very true tman. Let ND go away. Either they are in and fully vested or let them go to where the defected to.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 am

tman wrote:I don't get it.
No matter how much ND craps on you folks you're still willing to welcome them back with open arms.

If anything, Notre Dame has seemed pretty supportive in all of this. Why should we blame them for hooking up with the ACC while the Big East was falling apart? They are a better option than us, if they stay together. Letting them stay for one season as a show of good will would be nice for the conference.
yorost

Postby sandw04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am

tman wrote:I don't get it.

I think it is more about open pocketbooks than it is open arms. Fox would probably pay out more for one year of ND, just for the added exposure during that first season. It would also make for an easier transition for schools 10-11-12 in 2014.
sandw04

Postby DawgLover » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Re timing, remember what happened with Butler and VCU moving to A10 last year. Both announced they would move in 2014 and Horizon League and CAA said they wouldn't allow the moving teams to compete for championships during 2012-13. Fortunately, A10 worked with them and allowed them to move a year early to avoid a "dead" year for each in their respective conferences. If, say, Dayton, SLU and Creighton (if it doesn't move this year) announce this year that they're moving in 2014, I wonder how the A10 and the MVC will treat them in that interim year and whether it might not force an early move as happened with Butler and VCU.
DawgLover

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board