Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby MixingBowlSpider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

BillEsq wrote: If higher education money is scaled back you can assure yourself Virginia and VT will be protected with W&M, VCU, GM, OD fighting for scraps. If cut backs really are in the future its something a private school would not have to worry about. (will the bubble pop who knows, but I think you have to consider it)

This is a good point. I know GMU saw its budget reduced 5% across the board as a result of the last state fiscal crisis.

If the federal budget sequester is not dealt with, Virginia's economy is going to be hosed. Virginia is a balanced budget state, and sadly university funding is an easy thing to cut.
MixingBowlSpider

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Yeah the economics of higher education is crazy and yet you still keep seeing schools move up to div 1. Most schools loose money on athletics... the joy of private institutions is that can fudge numbers as much as they want across the board. Public schools have fiscal accountability and generally smaller endowments , and are virtually reliant on federal student loans. Although VCU's is actually pretty good. I don't know much about VCU's economic situation and the sanctity of higher ed funds in virginia but i know here in KY as well as many states the belt is being tightened.
BillEsq

Postby Eight Legger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Considering that VCU had to raise its student fees by $50 per student in order to pay for Shaka's last pay raise (true story), I'd say it is fair to wonder. And yes, while Virginia has weathered the economic storm better than most states, there is a ton coming due next year that is going to tax the state's budget in ways we haven't seen for many years.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby GT - Ray » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

GT - Ray

Postby Hoya » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

ESPN says the following:

While competing with as few as nine members in 2013-14, the Catholic 7 schools are expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league.
Hoya

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Maybe we're only initially going to 10 if we get Notre Dame?
We are New York's team. We are St. John's.
James

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 pm

James wrote:Maybe we're only initially going to 10 if we get Notre Dame?

I think its a no brainer you take ND no matter how... 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, The question is for how long... i think everything said on this board changes if ND is on board. Although it would still work better with 12 I think, but with ND you get your non rev sports answer and well its the golden goose of college sports I'd hate to say it but you do just about what ever it takes to make ND happy.
BillEsq

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Notre Dame thought long and hard about it a year ago and flew to the ACC... I would imagine they are having second thoughts but I think it was thoroughly hashed out and they are going to stand by their decision to join the Atlantic Coast.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby CityFriar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Norte Dame burned its bridges with the C7. They will not be one of the first 5 to join. Down the road when the ACC implodes, who knows? But right now there are some open wounds and the C7 is all about commitment to THIS league. The Irish are out right now.
Providence College Friars
CityFriar

Postby classof29 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

CityFriar wrote: The Irish are out right now.

Not what I am hearing. What is your source?
Providence College
classof29

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board