Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Richmonds location is not that good really and honestly i doubt it will be 10 teams over 12 teams.
To put it into perspective Richmond is only 96 miles from DC while dayton vs Cincinnati is only 54 miles. I doubt the C7 is going to make a decision based on 42 miles. Now obviously distance means more for Creighton and is likely prohibitive in regards to zaga and other WCC teams. But it just doesn't make richmond better by any case. Really the best argument for Richmond is in a 12 team league where you need a 6th eastern team to weigh out 6 western. That said i think richmond or vcu would make solid choices (hence why they keep getting mentioned in the rumors)
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Eight Legger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Since 2003, Creighton has 4 NCAA tournament appearances and one win.

Since 2003, Richmond has 3 NCAA tournament appearances, 2 wins and a Sweet 16.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that Creighton has been better than UR in the past decade.
Eight Legger

Postby yorost » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

It's fair. Despite the success in the tournament, Creighton has been a more consistent program in computer numbers. Looking at Sagarin...

Since 2003-04 Richmond scored stronger than Creighton in 3 seasons.

Since 2003-04 Richmond has had 5 seasons which scored worse than Creighton's worst in the span.

Since 2003-04 Richmond scored below 80 in 7 seasons, Creighton in 3.

That extra tournament win for Richmond is definitely a boost over Creighton, but that's talking only a few games over a decade. Creighton looks like a program kept in much better shape.
Last edited by yorost on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorost

Postby lukecu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Bluejay wrote: I would hardly say that Villanova has not done anything the last 15 years.

Your correct...I meant to include them.

Bostonspider wrote: Xavier and Richmond have been close conference mates for the last 11 years, not sure why Xavier (who tends to be more of an eastern facing school) would all of a sudden be against Richmond. Bobinski (I know he just left) and Miller have been close allies on most every league issue.

I didn't say they would be against Richmond. If you read it again, I said that Marquette would have to get them on their side for bargaining...I didn't say they would. IMO I don't think they will, I just think for them to have bargaining power to get what they want they would need the likes of Xavier and Butler on their side.
Last edited by lukecu on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lukecu

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 pm

You can't add Creighton without SLU. This is why Richmond was ALWAYS the most likely 10th. Regardless growth to 12 is probable which is also the answer to the above question. No one is going to join the A-10 before the new conference is at 12 or makes it abundantly clear they aren't going to. Basically, it becomes a variable length tryout for about 10 programs.

Also, I doubt Butler or Xavier cares who the 10th is. I suppose its moderately more likely they'd like Richmond simply for recruiting.
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Edrick wrote:You can't add Creighton without SLU. This is why Richmond was ALWAYS the most likely 10th. Regardless growth to 12 is probable which is also the answer to the above question. No one is going to join the A-10 before the new conference is at 12 or makes it abundantly clear they aren't going to. Basically, it becomes a variable length tryout for about 10 programs.

Also, I doubt Butler or Xavier cares who the 10th is. I suppose its moderately more likely they'd like Richmond simply for recruiting.

I don't think Richmond was ever "always" the most likely 10th. in fact they are really a late comer on the scene.
While Creighton's arguments for inclusion in the new league might be better if SLU is in the league it is by no means contingent of SLU being in the League.
Also there is no solid reason that SLU would not be picked over Richmond.
finally there are plenty of reasons to pick Richmond other than if you take Creighton you need SLU . Whoever is chosen i doubt it will come to well if you take Creighton you have to take SLU.

Seriously you all put too much stake in these so called pundits opinions. In the past two Months GT has wanted gonzaga over everyone else, been working with Marquette for SLU over everyone else, has had a secret crush on Richmond, Demanded VCU, and wanted to join the ACC according to so called inside sources. Not to mention this particular inside source has had inside contacts stating that Cincy, Conn, and Memphis were going to be the final 3.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 pm

It's just entertaining discussion.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Fair enough... its just seems like when a rumor pops up the whole board explodes into a giant pissing contest on why my school got mentioned by the "insider" versus yours. but hell using random noncomparable facts to argue why your school is better than some other school is half of what makes college sports great so carry on....
i just wish they would make the announcement but that wont happen until Aresco league signs the tv deal.
BillEsq

Postby Moliva » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

I have no reason to either believe or discredit the veracity of any writer's opinion on this round or realignment and agree that there's little use in getting too wrapped up in these articles.

I also think most people are spending too much time evaluating a partial view of what factors are in play. For instance, do we know if a Richmond benefactor may run a portfolio of companies that might want to advertise with Fox on their Big Priest broadcasts?

Here's what I do know:

1- Richmond has money. A lot of it.
2- Richmond negotiated the realignment waters to tremendous benefit a decade ago and kept its maps.
3- Richmond has been closely aligned with Xavier for a long while and I believe Xavier is a bigger player in this than most people know.

Also,

LETS GO HOYAS! Clap, clap ... Clap, clap, clap.
Moliva

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I agree i like Richmond as an in; I think a no question if its 12 teams (especially if it is deemed that Creighton is too far)
lots and lots of money.... nice facilities... personally i like the coach... it has the academics... and its east coast (once again if you go to 12 6/6 split)
I don't know if X is having a say in who comes along or not, id figure Fox would have the biggest outside input as they are the ones putting up the dollars. but i think richmond has been considered one of the better A-10 teams of the past decade and the A-10 is generally considered the best east coast conference outside of the power conferences so they have a lot going for them.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board