Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby Moliva » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Bluejay wrote:I think the real point here is that if the conference goes with 12, instead of 10, presumably Creighton and Richmond would be in.

Totally agree. Also,

LET'S GO HOYAS! (clap, clap ... clap, clap, clap)

LET'S GO HOYAS! (clap, clap ... clap, clap, clap)
Moliva

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm

lukecu wrote:Let's be honest...it's nice to have marquette fight for Creighton, but if this is true...they are going to lose. The east coast schools hold themselves higher than marquette. Its 6 against 1 or maybe 5 against 2 if DePaul is on marquette's side, though the C7 hate DePaul.The only way Marquette even has a chance of winning this is if they get Butler and Xavier on their side, but I doubt that is going to happen.

The C7 hate DePaul?

If Georgetown has all the Eastern schools I don't see what Marquette could pull off even with DePaul, Butler, and Xavier behind them. No way 4 noobs trump 5 old guard. If there really is a tug of war going on I would think somebody in the East is either undecided or supporting Marquette, or Fox prefers Creighton.
yorost

Postby butlerguy03 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

This is the best way to go for now. You're going to have to build the conference identity at Xavier, Butler & Richmond. No better way to do that than guarantee Marquette, DePaul, Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall and (2 of Richmond, Butler & Xavier) are coming to own EVERY YEAR.

Former BU home slate:
Cleveland State
UW-Green Bay
UW-MIlwaukee
Loyola
UIC
Valparaiso
Detroit
Wright State
Youngstown State

Possible BU home slate:
Xavier
Richmond
Georgetown
DePaul
Marquette
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova
Providence

WOW! Hinkle almost sold out every game with the A-10, this is big-time and because of the size of the Big Ten, looks better than some years of home slates from Purdue & Indiana.
butlerguy03

Postby lukecu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm

yorost wrote: If Georgetown has all the Eastern schools I don't see what Marquette could pull off even with DePaul, Butler, and Xavier behind them. No way 4 noobs trump 5 old guard. If there really is a tug of war going on I would think somebody in the East is either undecided or supporting Marquette, or Fox prefers Creighton.

Maybe because the east coast schools need those "noobs" or they don't have a conference. Marquette, Xavier, and Butler are crucial to the conference for it to do well. The only good team in the east is Georgetown...what the other east coast schools did 40 years ago means nothing...they need to be doing well over the last 15 years, and they haven't.
lukecu

Postby Bluejay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm

lukecu wrote:
yorost wrote: If Georgetown has all the Eastern schools I don't see what Marquette could pull off even with DePaul, Butler, and Xavier behind them. No way 4 noobs trump 5 old guard. If there really is a tug of war going on I would think somebody in the East is either undecided or supporting Marquette, or Fox prefers Creighton.

Maybe because the east coast schools need those "noobs" or they don't have a conference. Marquette, Xavier, and Butler are crucial to the conference for it to do well. The only good team in the east is Georgetown...what the other east coast schools did 40 years ago means nothing...they need to be doing well over the last 15 years, and they haven't.

Calm down, you are making us look bad. No need to disparage our new conference brethren. :D

I would hardly say that Villanova has not done anything the last 15 years.
Bluejay

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 pm

If the 3 mentioned are correct, why wouldn't the A-10 try to get some of the Valley schools?

You could make a pretty good conference out of the C7 leftovers (assuming Butler/Xavier/Richmond).
BillikensWin

Postby yorost » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

lukecu wrote:

I would be horrified if Marquette tried to strike out on it's own. There's no guarantee they could nab Butler or Xavier away from those 5, I certainly wouldn't pick Marquette, Creighton, and DePaul over those 5 as a base for a conference. I think you're underestimating the value of their group and having connections in the Northeast.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

BillikensWin wrote:If the 3 mentioned are correct, why wouldn't the A-10 try to get some of the Valley schools?

You could make a pretty good conference out of the C7 leftovers (assuming Butler/Xavier/Richmond).

A-Ten will either go after the Horizon or Colonial
if Dayton and SLU are left out they will add Loyola and Detroit to replace Butler and X. If SLU and Dayton are taken they raid the Colonial. The main reason is that if SLU and Dayton are left the A-Ten will need to appease them or they will be looking to bolt. SLU and Dayton are not interested in Valley Teams outside of Creighton.
BillEsq

Postby Bostonspider » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:14 pm

lukecu wrote:

Xavier and Richmond have been close conference mates for the last 11 years, not sure why Xavier (who tends to be more of an eastern facing school) would all of a sudden be against Richmond. Bobinski (I know he just left) and Miller have been close allies on most every league issue.
Bostonspider

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Not to be blunt, but what really warrants Richmond over Creighton or even Dayton or SLU for that matter? Must be location and academics because that is the only thing I can tell. Fan bases and support are way bigger at Creighton and Dayton. Facilities are way better at Creighton, Dayton and SLU. NCAA tournament appearances have Creighton and Dayton way ahead of Richmond although they do have a recent Sweet 16 so that "might" be a wash. Olympic sports are way better at Creighton, Dayton and SLU. I guess Richmond has lacrosse but they also just go rid of soccer which would be a big sport in the BE7 (for which SLU and Creighton are perennial powers). As far as the endowment, it's gigantic, but what good is it if it's not used? If it had been used, why are they getting rid of sports? Academics wise, being a "liberal arts" school kind of puts them in a different category than the other 3 but I wouldn't say they are heads and shoulders above the others, they are a different kind of school. That leaves location which I admit, is very good.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board