Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby The Partisan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

I think there is a fair amouint of incestuos relationships (so to speak) at the top of some of these schools, and I would not read too much into those relationships. The President of Butler was Dean of Villanova's Business School until a couple of years ago. That did not get Butler the invite. Being a good basketball team in Indianapolis with a good young coach closed the deal.

Each school has their pluses and minuses. I think those will be weighed much more than relationships. The relationship gets you to have someone take your phone call and maybe lobby for you.

I can see Georgetown liking Richmond due to its strong academics and location. Goegraphically they are in ACC country and I find that interesting too.

I don't think there is a "best" answer as to which schools get the invite. I just hope that when we look back in hindsight that we are okay with the schools selected.
The Partisan - Villanova '89 - Go Cats!
The Partisan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Considering all Georgetown has done over the last 20 years to lessen the "catholic" reputation of the school, I would not be surprised at all if they wanted another "secular" university to match Butler and reduce the overt religious connections of the conference.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby flyerlax06 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Bostonspider wrote:Considering all Georgetown has done over the last 20 years to lessen the "catholic" reputation of the school, I would not be surprised at all if they wanted another "secular" university to match Butler and reduce the overt religious connections of the conference.

Damn Jesuits!

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby 77Friar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Interesting..............that we don't want to look "too Catholic".......... Why not?
77Friar

Postby Bluejay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 am

77Friar wrote:Interesting..............that we don't want to look "too Catholic".......... Why not?

I think that is a Georgetown thing. Most, if not all of the other catholic schools involved in this, wear their Catholicism with a great deal of pride. I chalk Georgetown's situation up to being too near to the beltway for too long. :lol:
Bluejay

Postby classof29 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 am

77Friar wrote:Interesting..............that we don't want to look "too Catholic".......... Why not?

I just want a league that is comprised of similar institutions (small and urban) with a tradition of and a dedication to a strong basketball program.

If it happens to be all catholic, so be it, if not who cares.
Providence College
classof29

Postby yorost » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 am

classof29 wrote:If it happens to be all catholic, so be it, if not who cares.

This, and the same regarding public vs private.
yorost

Postby Bostonspider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

yorost wrote:
classof29 wrote:If it happens to be all catholic, so be it, if not who cares.

This, and the same regarding public vs private.

"Small and Urban" and "Public" do not tend to go together. VCU is over 30K students, with a good portion being part time non residential students. They only have housing for around 20% of their students, though a good deal live in the neighboring areas. VCU is maybe more urban than any of the C7 +, with a less discernable campus, more spread out within the city.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby yorost » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 am

Was I talking about VCU? All I said was public vs private shouldn't matter. Yes, VCU is the only public school we assume is in the discussion, but being public isn't anything that should kill their application.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm

yorost wrote:Was I talking about VCU? All I said was public vs private shouldn't matter. Yes, VCU is the only public school we assume is in the discussion, but being public isn't anything that should kill their application.

Private v. Public could matter... one you have the FOIA issues... and if one thing this C7 stuff has shown is that the presidents really like the privacy. secondly there is the issue of the fact that VCU is not a flagship and is at best the 3rd highest Virginia state school in priority... I think william and Mary beats it on history and general prestige. That said the next bubble people talk about is with higher education/ loans and state support. If higher education money is scaled back you can assure yourself Virginia and VT will be protected with W&M, VCU, GM, OD fighting for scraps. If cut backs really are in the future its something a private school would not have to worry about. (will the bubble pop who knows, but I think you have to consider it)
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board