Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report - Initial 10 Team League? Creighton or Richmond?

Postby BillEsq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm

yorost wrote:10 in forming a conference doesn't reek of anything, especially if it's clear they're moving to 12 within a few years. It's just a temporary alignment.

I swear 10 teams don't work...financially you loose money, market wise you loose exposure, and in the long run you seriously cramp any A-10 team you don't pick. Trust me as soon as this summer happens the A-10 is going to ramp up the exit fees, i wouldn't be surprised if the Mo-Valley does too.

Plus in the situation the C7 are in they need 12 teams just to get majority of the olympic sports teams home conferences. Which does matter. The only defense 10 has is that "it allows a round robin" I sincerely hope that the new league wouldn't shoot itself in the foot by making a horrific business decision and coupling it with a non-rev logistical nightmare just for the joy of a round robin.
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yorost » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 pm

That's all fine, but if it's just for a year or two it isn't bad for image. 10 seems pretty sizable for a first year conference, I don't even know if people would look at them amiss if their first season was just the 7. You can make all the arguments you want for why 12 is better than 10, but those don't just make them look bad if they temporarily step to 10.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm

yorost wrote:That's all fine, but if it's just for a year or two it isn't bad for image. 10 seems pretty sizable for a first year conference, I don't even know if people would look at them amiss if their first season was just the 7. You can make all the arguments you want for why 12 is better than 10, but those don't just make them look bad if they temporarily step to 10.

You still loose out on a lot of promised revenue and potential revenue and run the risk or needing to assist new members with hefty exit fees, Trust me the A-Ten knows its coming... its not going to drift into mid-majordom without getting paid, bumping up exit fees from 1 to 5 million would be highly likely and would require the C7 to help pay the dues to get the teams they want.

Keeping at 10 also hurts a lot of your non-revs. you now have to schedule more ooc games/meets travel expenses go up, have to find new conferences for your teams you can't field in conference more additional lost revenue and more cost in paying admissions to conferences as an associate member. Trust me go look at an athletic departments budget- nothing sucks up money like a non-rev. I know basketball is the reason this is happening, and I know basketball is paying the bills, but you can't ignore the other sports.

I'll keep saying it, there is no objective benefit for 10 teams. Yes they might, hell they might take cincy and Uconn for all sports but football- they may just raid the MAAC and keep things on the east coast and let B-D-S-X stay in the A-10 but those decisions don't seem very prudent or likely do they?
BillEsq

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm

BillEsq wrote:That said a reason that GT might be wanting Richmond is coaching.. JT3 is a Princeton boy as is Chris Mooney maybe some connection there.

More likely it is former president and still distinguished professor William Cooper of Richmond. He worked at Georgetown for decades with President John J. DeGioia. Both were Senior VPs's at the same time in the mid to late 90's. I would imagine Dr. Cooper is working this connection hard for UR, and this is why Georgetown seems so firmly in Richmond's corner.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby BillEsq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Bostonspider wrote:
BillEsq wrote:That said a reason that GT might be wanting Richmond is coaching.. JT3 is a Princeton boy as is Chris Mooney maybe some connection there.

More likely it is former president and still distinguished professor William Cooper of Richmond. He worked at Georgetown for decades with President John J. DeGioia. Both were Senior VPs's at the same time in the mid to late 90's. I would imagine Dr. Cooper is working this connection hard for UR, and this is why Georgetown seems so firmly in Richmond's corner.

Wow more connections per square inch... add in the bevy of non-rev sports and the huge endowment i guess Richmond wins on the intangibles.
BillEsq

Postby Moliva » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Bostonspider wrote:I would imagine Dr. Cooper is working this connection hard for UR,

This is where it would be awesome for this forum to have a "Can't Tell if Serious" type of GIF.
Moliva

Postby Bostonspider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Irony Moliva... Though he is the one that moved us from the CAA to the A10. You know he would like the even better academic connections of this C7/Big East.
Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby yorost » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

@BillEsq: I don't know why you're posting all of that to my posts, I have not been saying 10 is a smarter choice. I haven't been saying anything about whether 10 or 12 makes more sense. All I was saying was starting at 10 will not make them reek like a midmajor, as you seemed to indicate. They'll be a new conference, there's nothing unusual about having fewer teams to start, especially since we're all used to conference moves taking years. Maybe you have a point for an established conference, but so what? They could start at 7 and who would look oddly at it? They'd just be in the process of building. I would bet 10 is actually fairly large for a first year DI conference. Heck, many start with only 5 or 6 schools.
yorost

Postby Eight Legger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Bostonspider wrote:Irony Moliva... Though he is the one that moved us from the CAA to the A10. You know he would like the even better academic connections of this C7/Big East.

Seriously...This would take the cake on irony if it's what helps get us into this league.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby MixingBowlSpider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Eight Legger wrote:
Bostonspider wrote:Irony Moliva... Though he is the one that moved us from the CAA to the A10. You know he would like the even better academic connections of this C7/Big East.

Seriously...This would take the cake on irony if it's what helps get us into this league.

All they have to do to get Cooper working the phone is to tell him: A: "Georgetown plays in the Patriot League." and B: "See if you can get Georgetown to get us an invite into their conference." And presto! Cooper might be disappointed when he finds out he's been tricked, but who cares if it works.
MixingBowlSpider

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board