Big East Conference Expansion Ideas and Discussion

The home for Big East hoops

Postby adoraz11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I didn't see a thread on this and know it is discussed a lot on the board, so I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to potential BE expansion.

I'll get started:

I think we expand sooner rather than later since it's harder to get bids with less teams. I think Fox would also benefit from more teams.

In my opinion, Richmond would be the worst team to add out of the rumored bunch. Why would we want an average A10 team? Until they prove otherwise, they're the one team I think would actually hurt us.

I think Gonzaga would be the best, simply because they're the best team available. Now, I know a lot of people will say "They're not east", which to me doesn't matters when I look at conferences like the Big 10 (12 teams). Secondly, the travel issue. People say Gonzaga wouldn't want to have to fly their women's field hockey team (or whatever) across the country. My question is, why not just add Gonzaga for basketball only? I think Fox would be happiest with Gonzaga as it would expand the BE as a nationwide conference and would be instantly one of the best teams in the conference.
adoraz11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East Conference Expansion Ideas and Discussion

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:11 pm

adoraz11 wrote:I didn't see a thread on this and know it is discussed a lot on the board, so I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to potential BE expansion.

I'll get started:

I think we expand sooner rather than later since it's harder to get bids with less teams. I think Fox would also benefit from more teams.

In my opinion, Richmond would be the worst team to add out of the rumored bunch. Why would we want an average A10 team? Until they prove otherwise, they're the one team I think would actually hurt us.

I think Gonzaga would be the best, simply because they're the best team available. Now, I know a lot of people will say "They're not east", which to me doesn't matters when I look at conferences like the Big 10 (12 teams). Secondly, the travel issue. People say Gonzaga wouldn't want to have to fly their women's field hockey team (or whatever) across the country. My question is, why not just add Gonzaga for basketball only? I think Fox would be happiest with Gonzaga as it would expand the BE as a nationwide conference and would be instantly one of the best teams in the conference.

99% of conferences require both basketball teams in the conference.

Totally agree with Richmond. Totally average and aren't even the 2nd team in their own city.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:18 pm

adoraz11 wrote:I think Fox would also benefit from more teams.

Fox doesn't want their investment to be viewed as a midmajor league. Adding A10 teams would make us just that. To think that the Big East is going to make expansion decisions based on the RPIs of teams one month into a season is CRAZY!

Now I agree with you that the Big East doesn't want average A10 teams so we better not take any of them. if they were good enough to be in a major conference, they would have been invited already.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby adoraz11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:23 pm

stever20 wrote:99% of conferences require both basketball teams in the conference.

Totally agree with Richmond. Totally average and aren't even the 2nd team in their own city.

I meant having both the men and women basketball teams, but not any of the other sports. Seems it would financially be a positive for Gonzaga since their television money would go up a lot.

Or did you mean that 99% of conferences require teams to join in all sports? Sorry I'm a little confused.

EDIT: think I know what you mean now. That another conference (such as the one they're currently in) wouldn't allow them membership without their basketball program?
Last edited by adoraz11 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adoraz11

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 pm

adoraz11 wrote:
stever20 wrote:99% of conferences require both basketball teams in the conference.

I meant having both the men and women basketball teams, but not any of the other sports. Seems it would financially be a positive for Gonzaga since their television money would go up a lot.

Or did you mean that 99% of conferences require teams to join in all sports? Sorry I'm a little confused.

I meant that they won't be able to find a place to house their other sports.
stever20

Postby adoraz11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:33 pm

stever20 wrote:I meant that they won't be able to find a place to house their other sports.

Yep just realized that a second ago and edited my post. Interesting, I would have thought a smaller D1 conference would allow their other sports in.
adoraz11

Postby Bulldog_Muskie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz11 wrote:

I meant that they won't be able to find a place to house their other sports.

I'd imagine they could park their other sports somewhere, there seems to be a fair amount of conferences out west that'd take them on (Just pulled that out of thin air but it seems right!).

I used to be pretty much against adding Gonzaga but given the dearth of quality adds east of the Mississippi I could support it. I'd take them +VCU or SLU over anyone else
Butler University '13
Xavier University '15
Bulldog_Muskie

Postby adoraz11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Personally my choices would be:

1. Gonzaga
2. VCU
3. SLU
4. Dayton
x. Richmond

If Dayton proves something this year and wins a round or two of the NCAA tournament it would improve my thoughts of them.

My list isn't about finding similar catholic schools in the east, it is about finding schools without big time football that are simply the best. I think Gonzaga is the best team period, and I like what I've seen from VCU the past decade.

SLU, Dayton, and especially Richmond seem too mid-major until they prove otherwise.

But if they added Gonzaga and a school like SLU or Dayton I would still be happy about it.
adoraz11

Postby Jet915 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:08 pm

There is some NCAA rule where u can't just take the basketball team only. Even with that said, my choices would be Gonzaga and SLU. Travel would be more of an issue for Gonzaga than the rest of the teams, if they are willing to do it, invite them.
Jet915

Postby adoraz11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Jet915 wrote:There is some NCAA rule where u can't just take the basketball team only. Even with that said, my choices would be Gonzaga and SLU. Travel would be more of an issue for Gonzaga than the rest of the teams, if they are willing to do it, invite them.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Even with that said, I agree they'd still be the #1 choice.

They were a #1 seed in the tournament last year. I just looked on wiki and it appears they've gone to the tournament 15 (!!!) straight years. Would be a major boost to the BE if it ever happened.
adoraz11

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board