Tell us why YOUR team may not do well in the BE this year...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tell us why YOUR team may not do well in the BE this yea

Postby TheHall » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

1) If Gibbs turns out to be overrated and not really a high-major PG (which is a big question IMO), then it's unlikely Freshman Sina won't be allowed to come along slowly...like Archidiancono last year at Nova.
2) If Willard turns out to be overrated on X's & O's. This has always been assumed to be Willard's strong suit (not recruiting) but injuries have prevented him from actually proving this assumption as a HC. So not that it's his fault but the jury is still out on this vital aspect of his capabilities.
3) Injuries to Edwin and/or Mobley.

Otherwise I expect a very positive & surprising season from the Pirates.
Last edited by TheHall on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Daffron24 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Per Yahoo:

Worst-case scenario: Replacing Blue's 14.4 points per game and point guard Junior Cadougan's toughness and leadership proves more difficult than expected. Derrick Wilson is steady but lacks the scoring punch to command the starting point guard job, while freshman Duane Wilson shows promise but needs more seasoning before he's ready for a big role. The Golden Eagles face similar issues at shooting guard, where the enigmatic Mayo continually misfires from the perimeter and the highly touted Johnson is still a year or two away from blossoming into a go-to scorer. Though Marquette's frontcourt produces as expected, the perimeter issues doom the Golden Eagles to a mid-tier finish in the new Big East. Texas still woos Williams, however, and he bolts for Austin within minutes of the final buzzer sounding on Marquette's opening-round NCAA tournament loss. His reasoning? It's a higher-profile job, Texas will always be home for him and it's much easier to recruit to Austin than snow-covered Milwaukee
"It's just the truth, we can't shoot"
Daffron24

Postby ChelseaFriar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm

gofriars08 wrote:Providence:

1) Tyler Harris and Carson Desrosiers turn out to be stiffs instead of quality transfers, leaving PC's frontcourt exposed
2) Bryce Cotton's knee injuries crop up and keep him out for more than a game or two
3) No shooters step up around Cotton and the team struggles to score against defenses that pack the paint

4) Kris Dunn does not handle being a 30 MPG PG well. Last year he came on strong at the end of the year but for much of the year his handle looked a little loose for a BE PG and he made some bad decisions with the ball. He was coming of shoulder surgery and missed the first handful of games. Again, he improved much and will definitely be a very solid player on the floor at guard (long, fast, athletic, defensively intense), but he has not proven that he can be a full time PG. That is a test he will get early. Vincent Council looked like a pure PG from day 1. Dunn has to show improvement in this area.
ChelseaFriar

Postby gofriars08 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Of all the players on the Friar roster, the two players I am least worried about are Cotton and Dunn. Honestly I think it will challenging for any other team to put out a better PG-SG duo in the league.
gofriars08

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:56 pm

gofriars08 wrote:Of all the players on the Friar roster, the two players I am least worried about are Cotton and Dunn. Honestly I think it will challenging for any other team to put out a better PG-SG duo in the league.

Markel Starks & D'Vauntes Smith Rivera
hoyahooligan

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm

gofriars08 wrote:Of all the players on the Friar roster, the two players I am least worried about are Cotton and Dunn. Honestly I think it will challenging for any other team to put out a better PG-SG duo in the league.

John Dawson and jake Thomas...

^sarcasm before everybody starts hating on MU fans' over confidence again.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby aughnanure » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Daffron24 wrote:Per Yahoo:

Worst-case scenario: Replacing Blue's 14.4 points per game and point guard Junior Cadougan's toughness and leadership proves more difficult than expected. Derrick Wilson is steady but lacks the scoring punch to command the starting point guard job, while freshman Duane Wilson shows promise but needs more seasoning before he's ready for a big role. The Golden Eagles face similar issues at shooting guard, where the enigmatic Mayo continually misfires from the perimeter and the highly touted Johnson is still a year or two away from blossoming into a go-to scorer. Though Marquette's frontcourt produces as expected, the perimeter issues doom the Golden Eagles to a mid-tier finish in the new Big East. Texas still woos Williams, however, and he bolts for Austin within minutes of the final buzzer sounding on Marquette's opening-round NCAA tournament loss. His reasoning? It's a higher-profile job, Texas will always be home for him and it's much easier to recruit to Austin than snow-covered Milwaukee

This is pretty good. But I'd be surprised if one Mayo, Anderson, Thomas, Burton or Wilson (can play off-ball) doesn't come through for us at SG. SG hasn't been weakness for us in nearly a decade, and with the post play I have a hard time believing that will start now.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby aughnanure » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm

MUBoxer wrote:

John Dawson and jake Thomas...

^sarcasm before everybody starts hating on MU fans' over confidence again.

Not this year, but Wilson and Burton/JJJ will be a force eventually. Hell, likely all three will play together on the wings.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby Daffron24 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 pm

aughnanure wrote:

This is pretty good. But I'd be surprised if one Mayo, Anderson, Thomas, Burton or Wilson (can play off-ball) doesn't come through for us at SG. SG hasn't been weakness for us in nearly a decade, and with the post play I have a hard time believing that will start now.

Don't you mean bigs. Marquette needs traditional bigs. We always have and we always will
"It's just the truth, we can't shoot"
Daffron24

Postby marquette » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Daffron24 wrote:
aughnanure wrote:

Don't you mean bigs. Marquette needs traditional bigs. We always have and we always will

Not sure the teal really works on this site, with the blue background. For anybody who doesn't spend time on scoop, teal over there means sarcasm.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board