CBS: Eye on College Basketball Conference Predictions

The home for Big East hoops

Re: CBS: Eye on College Basketball Conference Predictions

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:35 pm

HolyLand.....................CBS
1 Marquette/GTown.....Marquette
2 Marquette/GTown.....GTown
3 Creighton.................Creighton
4 Nova........................Nova (tie 4)
5 SJU.........................SJU (tie 4)
6 Providence...............Xavier
7 Xavier......................Providence
8 Butler......................Butler
9 Seton Hall................Seton Hall
10 DePaul....................DePaul

Very consistent. Not 1 team more than one position different between the 2 polls.
Go Nova
Dave

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:37 pm

yorost wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
yorost wrote:If you're going to compare it to the results of what Omaha1 is doing you should count it the same way. Respective weights an counting all votes? Nonsense, you can tally a final order in a multitude of ways so why are those essential? Voting systems are inherently rife with holes, save some extremely restrictive conditions that for all intents and purposes are never met, so if you compare what they get to what we get the comparisons should follow the same rules.

But what you did isn't the same as what Omaha did.

In his poll, we voted on each spot separately with the result that any of us may have voted for the same tam multiple times. That's not what the guys in the CBS poll did. Each constructed his entire list first. Your way of counting eliminates voters from the tally. A team can win a spot with only a minority of voters agreeing on that spot. That's not what happened in Omaha's poll.

No, you don't even represent what I did correctly. The only difference is that we selected teams each round, whereas I simulated them submitting their votes for every round. We could change our mind, not vote truthfully to game it, or have different sets of voters, that's the differences. I did was as close as you can get to what Omaha1 did, which is simulate the survivor by having them vote for their lowest ranked team still alive every round.. Omaha1's poll certainly allowed a minority vote to be the 'winner' of a round. It happened during the 10th, 9th, 7th, 6th, 5th, and 4th place votes. It's not complicated.

Sorry. My bad. I didn't read what you did closely enough. You make a valid point.
Bill Marsh

Postby Westbrook36 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am

yorost wrote:
Westbrook36 wrote:
yorost wrote:So we're arrogant because our team is doing well in predictions and we're not particularly worried about the season as a fan base? Who's saying we'll cakewalk to the conference championship?

First I'm kidding, that's what the smiley is for. Secondly I'm replying to what I assume is j/k remark made to me(if it's not it only makes my joke more apt). Thirdly no one is saying you're going cakewalk to the BE title. I'm exaggerating, it's a joke.

But some of you guys are awfully confident with your boasting on here, I'm not the only one who notices it either, hence the j/k. Didn't mean to upset you.

Kidding or not, do you like being referred to as arrogant? Being confident in a team doesn't mean we all think their's no possibility of a lousy season. I don't think we need to apologize for being confident for our team, we hear the same thing almost every season about how it will be a down year. I don't think I've once picked Marquette to win the conference on this site, because I don't know if I've even made any picks. I don't like you lumping me in this. I think we have a chance and might otherwise homer bump us to first if I had to make a list, but I don't think I have.

Just busting your chops, my bad, but you started it with the reply to my post. What was that about? If it wasn't a joke, it sure came across as you mocking me. Hence the hubris joke.
Villanova
Westbrook36

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board