Stipends?

The home for Big East hoops

Stipends?

Postby JOPO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm

To pay or not to pay...that is the question!

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... /309280043

Article is written by Jerry Carino a Seton Hall alum and Rutgers beat writer. Jerry used to be the beat writer for SHU but his paper is located in central New Jersey and decided to be more of a town paper with the majority of college coverage devoted to central Jersey resident Rutgers. They really do not cover high major college athletics anymore.

Jerry is a pretty good writer who I wish would move to a major paper. Sadly those do not exist in New Jersey. That said, I was none too thrilled with the shot he took at Butler calling them a mid-major. Apparently they didn't get the memo in central Jersey that Butler moved up to the big boy league.

I don't agree with stipends but can understand the reasoning behind it. However, this will hurt non-revenue sports and Title IX will be an absolute nightmare. The argument that one person makes in the article about still needing to buy socks is extremely weak. Hell, you'd need socks regardless and the kid paying $40k to go to school has a better argument for needing sock money than the kid getting $40k in tuition and other scholarship benefits.

The football conferences are trying to kill the non-football conferences as well as the mid-major football conferences. Now they are pretty much trying to kill off the olympic sports played in all colleges. The only revenue sports are men's basketball and football and all other sports are at their mercy.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Stipends?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Stipends?

Postby Jet915 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I say let the free market decide. This will depend on the NBA and NFL though. If you are a senior in high school and think you are ready for the pros, go right ahead. If you aren't, you can get a free education in school. You should be able to leave school anytime to go to the pros. Stipends won't stop anything. You will start at one number and it will keep going up. If a kid gets a stipend, I don't think it will stop them from accepting illegal benefits etc....
Jet915

Return to Big East basketball message board